Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turkish getups are super fun with a barbell!
thats-unpossible.jpg

TGU with a barbell with 45s (135) was the most I could ever do. No way I can do that now!  These days I do them with a 25# bag of shot. 

My max on TGU is 20-lbs. Over that and my arm starts to wobble because I'm not paying attention it and instead remain focused on how to get off the fricking ground. 

because I'm not paying attention it and instead remain focused on how to get off the fricking ground. 
That's what mine look like regardless of what weight is in my hand.  Me getting up even without any weight is the hard part  :D

Don't worry about bench press.  It's a bullshit movement anyways.  

Pullups are hard!! Especially for us women, simply because of how we don't have the same shape of bodies as those dude folks.

Agree I dont think I have done a bench press in nearly 2 years - I know its hard not to but you just have to worry about you and not the others -  Many times lately I am toward the end of the "whiteboard" in class but I just tell myself lots of other folks are sitting at home and eating french onion dip and chips!

Supe gave me some advice (Mainly to help my strained elbow) to do some forearm curls - which I think really helped with my pull ups.. I try and do them 2 X a week and I really think its helped strengthen the muscles around the elbow and helps with the pull ups

But in all honesty and I have been doing constantly varied functional movements at high intensity for 18 months and I can bang out maybe 4-5 pull ups in a row (strict) and that has taken some serious accessory work. 

Before Covid happened and plunged the home life sideways, my wife was working on her pull ups with a goal to get some by the end of the year.  She was mainly focusing on dead hangs and negative pull ups ( hold yourself up and release yourself slowly) we put a pull up bar in the garage, but Covid sort of nuked our home extra workout regime but she was about 2/3 of the way there on a pull up - I am trying to encourage her to get back on it but I think just going to the gym itself has been more stress than it used to be and doing much "extra' just isnt happening..

Don't worry about bench press.  It's a bullshit movement anyways.  
THIS^ bench press is probably one of the most overrated of the big 3. Totally unfair advantage for people with shorter arms, also not a good indiactor of chest strength. Idk im biased, never liked flat bench. Always thought in terms of building the muscle incline/decline much more useful along with flys. 

Bench press is cool. IMO, it should be mixed in with all the other movements. But definitely over-rated in terms of functional strength. (People rarely push things with their arms in real life.)

But it's important to build your muscles so you stay balanced. You want your chest and back to get stronger together, just like bis and tris, hamstring and quad, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, have been doing the constantly varied functional movements at high intensity since February and I have had to do a bench press movement twice in that time. I can make my pecs dance without that movement. 

I am stuck in ring row hell and I managed to get near the bar with a giant band this morning, but not enough to just do assisted pull-ups. Back to the rings. What's more insulting is the actual movement was a rope climb. That involves me making the magic feet, standing on the rope, then jumping down. Rope climb? No. Pull-up? No. Back to the rings with you! 

Speaking of useful movements, I see rope climbs are on the schedule for today.. I mean I dont know the last time I needed to be able to do that..:D

I havent practiced them in a while, I did get my own rope to practice the feet work (which is most of it) - last time we did the rope climbs I slid down the rope too fast and burned some skin off the leg, but this time I will bring the calf sleeves! That was before corona and the girl who had to use the rope after me took a pass...

I remember in the first Spartan Race I ever did, I was able to the rope climb. Then, in the next four, I couldn't at all. I don't know why I got it the first time and not the others... I was in about the same physical shape. My only guess is that both it and I weren't super wet and muddy when I was attempting to climb it. I don't think I could manage it today though... That was six years ago!

Rope climb is more about technique than strength. If you learn to wrap your the rope around your feet than you're using your legs more than anything else. (Lift your feet, wrap rope around it, stand up, repeat until your reach the top.) It definitely takes some strength but less than most people assume.

Now there are people who rope climb only using their arms. That is hardcore.

Back