Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it wasn't for the 'rona, I would have!  We've got 6 trips left, and have been at it since 10:30 with a couple five minute breaks.  We're dying.

0.  I purposely put on an already-dirty gym shirt for that purpose.  It will probably need a "wringing out" before I even put it in the laundry...

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning's workout:

800m run with sandbag

21 squats with sandbag

400m sled drag

200m farmer's carry

15 dball over the shoulder

9 double kb clean and jerk

800m run

I was reminded about halfway into the first run that I failed to hydrate properly this weekend. 

We havent done it in a while but we did a 2 mile partner sled pull once - it was pretty grueling, except my partner was a female - my weight to pull was 90 lbs, hers was 45, so when it wasnt my time to pull i had to carry the 45 lb plate :(   (But I stuck her with the uphill part of the course).

So is it wrong for me (since i go to the 5 am class) and the wife and daughter are going at 9 AM if the workout really sucks I tell them its "not bad' when I get back and they ask how it is? = "Ugh yeah go heavy on the devil press"..  ?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do the XF people consider "heavy" for devil presses?

For me It depends on the rep scheme and what else you are doing before or after them.

A few weeks ago I did 45 LB DB but I only had to do 2 reps ( 10 total sets, cant remember the other BS, I think there was some rowing and weighted lunges right after) & it was killing me..

Today's was 20-15-10-5 (With a bunch of BS before and after) so I did 35's and that was way way too much weight (sort of like a burpee and then a 70 lb kettlebell movement)

Not a Fan to be honest, I am assuming that means they are effective :D

What do the XF people consider "heavy" for devil presses?
I don't think there's a good answer for this. Everyone is different. I like to use 40s and I consider myself average upper body strength for a guy who casually works out (maybe slightly above average lower body strength).

The really strong guy that I work out with uses 50s.

When devil presses were part of the CrossFit Open in 2019 (19.4) the prescribed weight was 50 for guys and 35 for ladies. The scaled weight was 35 for guys and 20 for ladies.

I was about to say, 35's about killed me doing 6-8 reps after supersetting log lifts.

I guess if you've got downtime between sets that makes sense, JP.

That seems right because I am usually a Ladies RX Cross fitter! 

& ladies if you are worried about looking bulky by doing XF, dont worry because I have been doing ladies RX for a year and am still not bulky :D

But there wasnt any down time today..

This took me 20 minutes, Actually the PU was the hardest point to be honest..

Metcon (Time)
20-15-10-5
Devils Press
40-30-20-10
Hand Release Push-ups
80-60-40-20
Double Unders

young dude that I seem to have a friendly competition with got called out today for Rep Shaving - made me feel good (as an old dude) - I had sworn that there were several times we started something and were on the same pace and he would always finish 4-5 reps ahead of me..

Also has to be a tough spot to be in as a gym owner to call out your customers?

young dude that I seem to have a friendly competition with got called out today for Rep Shaving - made me feel good (as an old dude) - I had sworn that there were several times we started something and were on the same pace and he would always finish 4-5 reps ahead of me..

Also has to be a tough spot to be in as a gym owner to call out your customers?
If it's a competition then it is what it is. You need to get called out for cheating.

If you're just working out for yourself, then why would you shave reps. You're only cheating yourself. Who you trying to impress?

Yeah I dont really get it, the 5 am group is pretty friendly, I am the old guy there so I am used to being last, we all rib each other but I dont think anyone takes it too seriously..well apparently one of did :D

I always mis count box jumps for some reason and end up having to do an extra one or two at the end for some reason, but its not really on purpose , for some reason when its rep 29 my brain says 30 and I move on to the next thing..

Turkish get ups? no thanks! nothing like a movement that seems simple but gets really hard with "lightweight"

Back