New PEs... what're you focusing on now?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the usefulness of an MBA depends entirely on what you want to do long term. I got a dual MBA/MSCE before I started in the workforce, the school just started this program when I went into grad school and I was actually the first to do it.  Long term, I see myself staying on the design side as opposed to transferring to the project management side, so my MBA may never be used, still looks good on a resume though.

I would not do the MBA unless you can get into a top 15 school and see yourself changing function and possibly sector and country at the end of the MBA. The return on investment isn't normally justified otherwise. Or, a MBA has always been one of those things you want to do but in any case go for the best program you can get into. Also, pick a school with a network that matches more or less what you want and where you want. Before even going for a MBA I moved from straight engineering to managing a large number of people outside of the states and realized I enjoyed it a lot and was very good at it. I ended up with a lot of responsibility, a lot of people, multiple departments, lots of stress, and ended up with three people's jobs. I still loved it and then decided I wanted to change function, and sector, and country and went for the MBA (try something new, I do get bored).

If you're ever offered a position outside of the states, take it. If you're interested in working outside of the states, look for a job, particularly in a developing country. There are many opportunties for engineers, PE or not, but a PE will open up a lot more opportunities because you're viewed as very competent. Your possibilities for career growth are much higher and will happen much more quickly in developing countries. You will also make more money and be able to travel.
Yeah pay back for the top schools is impressive.....Coworkers son quit six figures at 29 to go to ten in Chicago MBA.

Was getting 150k offers after one year.  But if you go this route not sure you really needed PE.

Has anyone looked into or already acquired CEM certification? I've heard it's like a week-long training that you attend and take a test on the last day of the training. 

2 of my coworkers took both sections this october and were forever studying. i'm terrible at studying. I know my brain will be fried if i take both in one weekend. my brain hurts just thinking about it. lol
Having advised a lot of people in your same situation I'd say each has it's merits but I'd highly recommend splitting them up.

Congrats!
Thanks, tho it was easy after surviving PE.  

Scoring was amazing....Press End End and up pops PASS with a breakdown, 86%.

NCEES could learn from PSI.  I think a few answers were off....had to challenge. :p

Great topic! I passed surveying last December to become a CA Civil PE. After passing, there is this beautiful world of opportunity that is unlocked. In the past year, I have been learning Spanish by taking local classes.  I also now teach a class at a community college in my field. Its been a great year!

Congrats to all those who are now PE's.. To those who didn't pass, use your anger, sadness, and frustration to fuel your studies and you will pass in the future. As Sage Francis puts it: "It's been a long and lonely trip, But I'm glad that I took it because it was well worth it"

Maybe looking for a new job because I want to move and my company is dragging their feet on paying me PE money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back