New PEs... what're you focusing on now?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
figuring out how to attack the SE
Study like hell. Passed vertical in the spring and waiting on lateral results as we speak. Vertical was easier for me because most of it is analysis using the different materials, develop the loads and analyze this wooden column). Lateral was more difficult because it was knowing the obscure seismic notes through all the codes, then being able to solve problems using those notes.

Study like hell. Passed vertical in the spring and waiting on lateral results as we speak. Vertical was easier for me because most of it is analysis using the different materials, develop the loads and analyze this wooden column). Lateral was more difficult because it was knowing the obscure seismic notes through all the codes, then being able to solve problems using those notes.
did you take both days in the same round or break it up? this is also one of my indecisive topics.

did you take both days in the same round or break it up? this is also one of my indecisive topics.
I split them up. Like you, I had my PE already, so there wasn't a need for me to get it immediately. I think I was better prepared for each splitting them up, and looking back at how much studying I did, I don't think I could've taken them at the same time.

I split them up. Like you, I had my PE already, so there wasn't a need for me to get it immediately. I think I was better prepared for each splitting them up, and looking back at how much studying I did, I don't think I could've taken them at the same time.
2 of my coworkers took both sections this october and were forever studying. i'm terrible at studying. I know my brain will be fried if i take both in one weekend. my brain hurts just thinking about it. lol

Got MBA already.  testing for fire certification Wed., Already have Ga, NC witll test for FLA.

Should be set at that point...start building business and contacts.

I'm focusing on my family. 1yr old, 3 yr old. I got my MBA, two six sigma certs, and a PE license in the last two years. Tired and want to spend quality time with the youngins. Maybe I'll get in some fishing time as well.
What do you think about Six Sigma certifications in terms of applications?  I've always been interested in pursuing them.

I have an MBA and PE now so I am done with schooling / testing. For now I am going to focus on my job and getting stuff done around the house. Lots of home improvement projects I need to work on.

As a People Manger I tell all my direct reports and their direct reports to take advantage of any educational/certification opportunities as possible as long as the company is paying for it or reimburses you upon completion  I would give anyone the same advice.     

I have a BSCE and MSME.  I just passed the Civil PE, Structural Depth.  Not quite sure what to do next.  I work at a DOE complex for a government contractor that doesn't require you have your PE.  I took the exam because I am still young and wanted to get it done before starting to have kids.  I've also looked into getting AWS CWI certified as well.  What are your opinions of MBA programs or getting my PE in mechanical?  Is there value added or would these be simply a waste of time?  Obviously there will be some value but realistically how much would they benefit me by having them also?

What do you think about Six Sigma certifications in terms of applications?  I've always been interested in pursuing them.
I didn't have much statistical classes in undergrad. Definately gives you a leg up on what is and what isn't influencing your data. I has served me well and is respected.

I am surprised how many PE/MBAs there are here. I am one also...finished up last August.

As for what I am doing...focusing on my family as I ignored them the past 4 years taking MBA classes at night and rolling right into PE studying.

I have a BSCE and MSME.  I just passed the Civil PE, Structural Depth.  Not quite sure what to do next.  I work at a DOE complex for a government contractor that doesn't require you have your PE.  I took the exam because I am still young and wanted to get it done before starting to have kids.  I've also looked into getting AWS CWI certified as well.  What are your opinions of MBA programs or getting my PE in mechanical?  Is there value added or would these be simply a waste of time?  Obviously there will be some value but realistically how much would they benefit me by having them also?
I would not do the MBA unless you can get into a top 15 school and see yourself changing function and possibly sector and country at the end of the MBA. The return on investment isn't normally justified otherwise. Or, a MBA has always been one of those things you want to do but in any case go for the best program you can get into. Also, pick a school with a network that matches more or less what you want and where you want. Before even going for a MBA I moved from straight engineering to managing a large number of people outside of the states and realized I enjoyed it a lot and was very good at it. I ended up with a lot of responsibility, a lot of people, multiple departments, lots of stress, and ended up with three people's jobs. I still loved it and then decided I wanted to change function, and sector, and country and went for the MBA (try something new, I do get bored).

If you're ever offered a position outside of the states, take it. If you're interested in working outside of the states, look for a job, particularly in a developing country. There are many opportunties for engineers, PE or not, but a PE will open up a lot more opportunities because you're viewed as very competent. Your possibilities for career growth are much higher and will happen much more quickly in developing countries. You will also make more money and be able to travel.

I wanted to point out I was talking about changing sector, function, and country again hence why I said top 15 because it makes it much easier to get that type of job at the salary you need to make a quick return on your investment. If you're staying in the same job and same company with the MBA then the thinking behind that decision would be somewhat different. As far as so many PEs going for MBAs I have heard it said that MBA is finishing school for engineers. Engineers think a certain way which is possibly not the best for business plus sometimes we are accused of lacking the social graces that MBA programs purport to aide one on  :D

I would not do the MBA unless you can get into a top 15 school and see yourself changing function and possibly sector and country at the end of the MBA. The return on investment isn't normally justified otherwise. Or, a MBA has always been one of those things you want to do but in any case go for the best program you can get into. Also, pick a school with a network that matches more or less what you want and where you want. Before even going for a MBA I moved from straight engineering to managing a large number of people outside of the states and realized I enjoyed it a lot and was very good at it. I ended up with a lot of responsibility, a lot of people, multiple departments, lots of stress, and ended up with three people's jobs. I still loved it and then decided I wanted to change function, and sector, and country and went for the MBA (try something new, I do get bored).

If you're ever offered a position outside of the states, take it. If you're interested in working outside of the states, look for a job, particularly in a developing country. There are many opportunties for engineers, PE or not, but a PE will open up a lot more opportunities because you're viewed as very competent. Your possibilities for career growth are much higher and will happen much more quickly in developing countries. You will also make more money and be able to travel.
Thanks for the insight!

Back