NCEES Texas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmukhan. I think you will have to wait a year and then reapply. I got pretty familiar with those rules because I was staring at it myself. I'd sat out three administrations of the exam before finally getting around to taking it on my 4th chance.
That was what I heard too. It said there will be one-year penalty something, but when you reappky for eligibility, you don't have to do everything all over again, like transcripts

For those that passed the Mechanical, MD depth, please PM me with what you did to study. Oct is my third and final time to attempt to pass, as I'm not going through the whole application process again. I really thought I'd pass this time, but didn't. Any feedback much appreciated.

Same goes for anyone with Civil-Structural depth exam. Anyone who has passed this time, please message me about your references, methods of study and anything else you did that helped you pass. Any help would be really appreciated.

I failed Mechanical (MD). The diagonostic report shows a score of 42. The tx website put it as 69. I am assuming I missed it by a point.

I am humbly asking the forum, is manual verification worth it. Do any body have sucsess with it.
This is kinda weird. I got raw score of 44 and TX board posted as 69% also. I am wondering, How can 42 and 44 both be 69%?

I failed Mechanical (MD). The diagonostic report shows a score of 42. The tx website put it as 69. I am assuming I missed it by a point.

I am humbly asking the forum, is manual verification worth it. Do any body have sucsess with it.
This is kinda weird. I got raw score of 44 and TX board posted as 69% also. I am wondering, How can 42 and 44 both be 69%?
By the way, i took Mechanical MD.

Yes I am not worried about the transcripts but the references and getting all the SER's are going to be redone from scratch I believe. Also I may try the thermal fluids next time.

I believe it varies by disciplines to disciplines. I got 46 raw and they have posed me at 64%

I believe it varies by disciplines to disciplines. I got 46 raw and they have posed me at 64%
I agree with that. But we both took same discipline - Mechanical Machine Design.

My hunch is that they might throw out a few problems if the answers from the examinees are statistically all over the map. I am reading this between the lines from the NCEES video on the grading process. So if the questions that you two differed on were questions that were thrown out, I imagine you could both have the same scaled score. It's only a theory...

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that passed the Mechanical, MD depth, please PM me with what you did to study. Oct is my third and final time to attempt to pass, as I'm not going through the whole application process again. I really thought I'd pass this time, but didn't. Any feedback much appreciated.

i'm not an expert, i've studied once and passed once. i took the Mechanical MD depth. the biggest thing that helped me was using the MERM. it's just about the only reference i used during the exam. highlighting and taking notes in it really helped me out. i just took this photo of a random page out of my copy of the MERM. this was a huge time saver on the exam.

Porter_MERM.jpg

so the passing score is still 70, but the adjusted score will depend on the distribution of raw scores, right?

Porter, is MERM all you used?

i looked up one beam diagram in the AISC steel construction manual, but that info is in the MERM also. other than that the MERM is all i used.

edit: the MERM was all i used for reference material during the exam. for studying i used the MERM, the Lindeburg practice problems, and (to a much lesser extent) a Machine Design textbook from college.

Anybody from Civil - Structural discipline.
Hey Red John.... I passed the civil/structural but i dont have the results from the TBPE yet. How much did you score overall since i am assuming that you didnt pass the April exam.

For those who are interested, the TBPE website has some grades posted now. (I just verified mine). I passed Electrical with a score of "84.00", but I'm not sure what that means exactly. I doubt I got an 84/80, but if I had gotten 67/80, that would be 83.75%, not 84.00% and 68/80 would haev been 85.00%

Does anyone have any insight on how to interpret the scores released by the TBPE?

It's not a percentage. I'm pretty sure it's been beaten about on some old threads, but it's a scaled score. Regardless of what the raw passing number is on any exam, they set it equal to 70 and scale everything from there. So if the passing score for civil geotech is 52, it's set to 70. If mechanical HVAC is 49, it's set to 70.

What are your thoughts MIG on a candidate who got his diagnostic back and it showed very clearly 56 correct answers out of 80? When you add all the correct answers up it is 56, and 56 out of 80 is 70. But when you add up his percentages, they total I want to say like 68 or 69. Does this seem odd to you? I've never seen a diagnostic like that... just asking some of the more longer term forum members their input on this.

Anybody from Civil - Structural discipline.
Hey Red John.... I passed the civil/structural but i dont have the results from the TBPE yet. How much did you score overall since i am assuming that you didnt pass the April exam.
I scored a 40/80 as per my diagnostic. I just want to know any good reference you many recommend for the Stuctural afternoon session.

For those who are interested, the TBPE website has some grades posted now. (I just verified mine). I passed Electrical with a score of "84.00", but I'm not sure what that means exactly. I doubt I got an 84/80, but if I had gotten 67/80, that would be 83.75%, not 84.00% and 68/80 would haev been 85.00%

Does anyone have any insight on how to interpret the scores released by the TBPE?

It's not a percentage. I'm pretty sure it's been beaten about on some old threads, but it's a scaled score. Regardless of what the raw passing number is on any exam, they set it equal to 70 and scale everything from there. So if the passing score for civil geotech is 52, it's set to 70. If mechanical HVAC is 49, it's set to 70.

What are your thoughts MIG on a candidate who got his diagnostic back and it showed very clearly 56 correct answers out of 80? When you add all the correct answers up it is 56, and 56 out of 80 is 70. But when you add up his percentages, they total I want to say like 68 or 69. Does this seem odd to you? I've never seen a diagnostic like that... just asking some of the more longer term forum members their input on this.

When you say "add up his percentages", do you mean average his percentages? Adding them up and dividing by the number of categories? I don't think you can do that since the categories don't all have the same number of questions. So you have to do a weighted average. Which just takes you back to the 56 out of 80 which is 70% again. If I'm not understanding your question, let me know.

Yeah, just ignore the percentages part. I meant averaging the percentages, but that's never a good thing to do. When you count actual hard numbers correct, he had 56 / 80... 70%. This was on his diagnostic report, which he posted in one of the passing score threads yesterday after finding out he failed. I found it very intriguing because I've always (perhaps wrongly) thought that 56 / 80 is a surefire pass no matter what the "cut score" is. Just curious as to other old timer's thoughts.

Back