NCEES Texas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked my score today and I got an 83. But I don't know if that is a percentage of the scaled score or raw score.

I checked my score today and I got an 83. But I don't know if that is a percentage of the scaled score or raw score.
I'm guessing you didn't take an 80 question exam.
Yeah, I took the PE exam. So it was 80 questions. I just don't know what my score means. I guess 83%.
Okay, I'm going to have to give you a little bit of a hard time, but of course its all in fun, nothing meant to be mean. But, ummm, you did wonder if it was your raw score... so, I'll just stop there.

But on a serious note, I think its been established by several threads that it is a scaled percentage. I think MIG said it best, it's the percentage of correct answers you got based on the cut score. So, if 70 is equal to the cut score, you got more than the minimum required to pass. That's really about all you can infer from that score.

Okay, I'm going to have to give you a little bit of a hard time, but of course its all in fun, nothing meant to be mean. But, ummm, you did wonder if it was your raw score... so, I'll just stop there.

But on a serious note, I think its been established by several threads that it is a scaled percentage. I think MIG said it best, it's the percentage of correct answers you got based on the cut score. So, if 70 is equal to the cut score, you got more than the minimum required to pass. That's really about all you can infer from that score.
Sapper, actually my question was poorly worded. What I meant to saw is I don't know if my score is a percentage of my raw score or a percentage of my scaled score. There is probably a difference. If it is a percentage of my raw score, that would give me a 66/80. If it is the scaled score, then it is probably less than 66/80.

Do you have results yet Sapper??

Yeah, just ignore the percentages part. I meant averaging the percentages, but that's never a good thing to do. When you count actual hard numbers correct, he had 56 / 80... 70%. This was on his diagnostic report, which he posted in one of the passing score threads yesterday after finding out he failed. I found it very intriguing because I've always (perhaps wrongly) thought that 56 / 80 is a surefire pass no matter what the "cut score" is. Just curious as to other old timer's thoughts.

Seems like over the years on here the prevailing thought is that the "70 is passing" goes back to when everyone received scores and the scaled score of 70 was passing. It wasn't a raw 70% was passing, but it's one of those urban myths that once it gets repeated enough, it becomes "true". It sounds like the way they adjust the passing score based on difficulty, that particular exam was not as difficult and ended up with a passing score higher than 56.

Yeah, just ignore the percentages part. I meant averaging the percentages, but that's never a good thing to do. When you count actual hard numbers correct, he had 56 / 80... 70%. This was on his diagnostic report, which he posted in one of the passing score threads yesterday after finding out he failed. I found it very intriguing because I've always (perhaps wrongly) thought that 56 / 80 is a surefire pass no matter what the "cut score" is. Just curious as to other old timer's thoughts.

Seems like over the years on here the prevailing thought is that the "70 is passing" goes back to when everyone received scores and the scaled score of 70 was passing. It wasn't a raw 70% was passing, but it's one of those urban myths that once it gets repeated enough, it becomes "true". It sounds like the way they adjust the passing score based on difficulty, that particular exam was not as difficult and ended up with a passing score higher than 56.

Hmmm... yeah, thanks. I think you are right. I went back and tried to find any reference of where the 70 percent came from and couldn't find anything on NCEES's site that says that... I freely admit, I've been a believer in that 56/80 is passing no matter what myth now for years. This is a good answer and probably has some merit. Thanks for your analysis... even though its depressing for some folks I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody from Civil - Structural discipline.
Hey Red John.... I passed the civil/structural but i dont have the results from the TBPE yet. How much did you score overall since i am assuming that you didnt pass the April exam.
I scored a 40/80 as per my diagnostic. I just want to know any good reference you many recommend for the Stuctural afternoon session.
I would suggest that you should take the testmasters class. I have heard very good things about it. But dont ever loose your hope and always stay positive. Good luck for the Oct exam..

Do anybody know what the re-applying process is like after exhausting all the available attempts. Do I have to go through all the stuff like getting SER's from references , transcripts etc.

Any responses willbe appreciated

Do anybody know what the re-applying process is like after exhausting all the available attempts. Do I have to go through all the stuff like getting SER's from references , transcripts etc.

Any responses willbe appreciated
You may call the board and check what you need. During the lunch break after AM exam, a lady from San Antonio told me that if you didn't pass the 4th exam in the 2-year cycle, there would be an one-year waiting before you can apply for the new approval, which only requires a couple of references and you don't have to go through everything.

BTW, there were 4 of us sitting at a table of austin convention center. If any of you is here, I want to say thank you, especially the guy from Temple, who repeatedly told me that he was confident that I would pass when I had no clue...

Working problems on my own is where I learned the most. It was not fun, but it worked.
Truth. I had little confidence and did not take a prep class but armed with the info from this board and ncees topic list, I bought about 8 books, studied by myself and passed on 1st try. This exam is half intelligence and half study strategies. The old posts on here helped me to study smart and effectively. Oh and u need the right books.

Anyone know how long it takes the TX Board to release the passing percentages for the PE exam? I am curious.

Back