Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched "Meet Me in St. Louis" this weekend at AMC.  They do classic films on the big screen.  Didn't realize I had never seen it/it had so many songs that I knew from elsewhere/Judy Garland had cheekbones that could cut glass.

The Halloween sequence was weird, though, with the children running around a huge bonfire, burning shit.  Weird.

“Ad Astra” this morning....OMG, so bad. I managed to finish it, but what a snoozefest. 
Yeah, it was disappointingly forgettable for a movie that looked so cool in the previews. I did like the moon buggy chase, though. 

Just watched the trailer for Ghostbusters Afterlife - hate to say it but it actually looks pretty good! Go Loogle It!
Agreed....

From the preview, makes me wonder how involved any of the original guys are going to be.  Since "Egon" is no longer with us, clearly he would be the dead gramdpa, but no way to tell if the rest of the originals are really in the movie or just making quick cameos like the chick Ghostbuster movie a few years ago.

After the "Ad Astra" debacle, I watched the new Rambo movie.  With today's movies regularly going 2+ hours nowadays, it was kind of surprising how short it was.  Not that it takes long for Rambo to kill everybody in ridiculous ways.....oh wait, I didn't just spoil it for everyone did I?

Finally got around to watching Avengers: End Game, not sure what all the hype/fuss was about?

The worst part is that it’s likely not the “end game” meaning they will keep making these god awful movies - I was pulling for thanos to kill the other half

Martin Scorsese:

... Many of the elements that define cinema as I know it are there in Marvel pictures. What’s not there is revelation, mystery or genuine emotional danger. Nothing is at risk. The pictures are made to satisfy a specific set of demands, and they are designed as variations on a finite number of themes.

They are sequels in name but they are remakes in spirit, and everything in them is officially sanctioned because it can’t really be any other way. That’s the nature of modern film franchisesmarket-researchedaudience-tested, vetted, modified, revetted and remodified until they’re ready for consumption.
The rest of his opinion piece: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opinion/martin-scorsese-marvel.html

I remember reading that article a short while ago and resulting butt-hurt from the Disney/Marvel fanatics.

Ford vs Ferrari or Knives Out.

I haven't even heard of the first two??

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford vs Ferrari or Knives Out.

I haven't even heard of the first two??
Richard Jewell is a film by Clint Eastwood (I think) that was about the security cop who found the pipe bombs during the Olympics that was then smeared by media implications that maybe he planted them himself (but the reviews make it seem like they instead chose to smear the integrity of the female reporter who broke the story about the FBI investigation, which I'm not down for).  Dark Waters is a new legal thriller about DuPont and the start of investigations into the deaths associated with PFOAs.

I thought Ford vs Ferrari was one of the most entertaining films I have seen in a long time, but the subject matter might be an issue for some people if they just don't care about cars. I am not a particuarly big car or racing fan, and I found the story itself to be so well done that it didn't matter.

I "need" to see Dark Waters because I am an environmental engineer working in the water industry, and in an area with PFAS contamination and lots of public angst. But on top of that, it is getting very good reviews. I just want to see it so I can put the thousands of frightened questions I get over the next few weeks into context.

The Richard Jewel story (which is a true one) is a good reason to always question the media.

We watched the first 2 hours of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (then I fell asleep and just googled the ending the next day) but what a weird F'n movie!

Funny how Leonardo De Caprio, who really hasn't had a decent movie since titanic????, was playing a washed up actor :D

Did not see any of the movies I proposed above.  Instead went and saw the new Jumaji last night.  Loved it.  Thought it was hilarious.  Was great to hear The Rock pretend to be Danny DeVito pretend to be someone from Queens (aka; ultra heavy NY accent).  Made my day and the plot was pretty good until the end, when it kinda Deus ex Machina'd itself to tie up everything.

Back