Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched "Gemini Man" over the weekend....meh.  I suppose it was entertaining enough, but it wasn't enough to keep me off the iPad the whole time.  The CGI was a little distracting.

Someone else please watch "Fighting with my Family" so we can make movie references about it!

Daughter made me watch Joker with her last night, really fucked up depressing movie, only good part was seeing Robert Deniro  get his brains blown out!
I saw Fighting with my Family in the theaters - we really enjoyed it, so reference away!  (I hope I can remember enough)

I cant recall if I posted this but i got suckered into watching "Racing in the Rain" holy F'n shit is this a terrible movie, once I figured out Kevin Costner was the voice of the dog I realized this was going to be a stupid movie....

Also saw "instant family' - Mark Wahlberg - stretch movie about a couple adopting 3 siblings, fairly cory and probably not like the "true story" the move is based on but was watchable with a little "feels" added in - worth a view (found it on Amazon Prime)

1917 (I really want to see this, so I might see it on Sunday)? 

I haven't seen 1917, but saw a show on the making of it
Went to go see this on $5 Tuesdays at the local megaplex. Holy crap, I still would have paid 4 times more to see it. It. Was. Excellent. LadySquare and I were so stressed out (in the best way) walking out of the theatre.

Also, added Newman's scoring for this movie to my work concentration/focus playlist.

I thought it was really well done (Joaquin Phoenix does a great job playing the Joker), but it was incredibly uncomfortable to watch. You're basically watching someone descend into violent insanity. You see the certain, specific things that happen to him that cause him to become "the Joker". You watch a society that in very strong ways, both intentionally and unintentionally encourage this transformation. None of it made me feel any good.
Not a bad take on Joker.  We saw it (no kiddos for this one) this past weekend.  Overall it was REALLY well made.  This is the kind of film strategy I wish more movies used - small number of main characters with great story / plot, relatively few CGI enhancements, and *** SPOILER ALERT *** De Niro gets blasted in the face.  This thing "only" cost $55M, but grossed over $1B.   I really liked the movie.

Watched Hustlers over the weekend.  It was pretty good, but probably about 20 minutes too long.  I get why JLo didn't get any Academy nominations, though...It was really hard to see past "superstar JLo" to the sort of seedy operator that she portrayed...Also interesting to see what happened in that sector of the "entertainment industry" following the 2008 Wall Street crash.

Went to go see this on $5 Tuesdays at the local megaplex. Holy crap, I still would have paid 4 times more to see it. It. Was. Excellent. LadySquare and I were so stressed out (in the best way) walking out of the theatre.

Also, added Newman's scoring for this movie to my work concentration/focus playlist.
Going to see it tomorrow for $5!  I haven't been able to think about movies for a while, but this is still on my list and I feel like 'epic' movies like this never look correct when seen at home on a small screen!

Hustler has been on our list to see, but we keep passing over it.

I finally saw Zombie Land 2 this weekend, HFS this was the best movie I have seen in a long time!

That’s a nice CPR doll!

I watched the terminator last night- wasn’t terrible but close... was good to see Linda Hamilton and Arnold again. Maybe if they had trimmed about 30 minutes out of the movie it would have been a little better..

Saw It: Chapter 2.  Ugh

220px-ItChapterTwoTeaser.jpg

F**king waste of $6 amazon rental.  What a piece of garbage sequel.  I know sequels typically aren't nearly as good as the original, but this is a hot mess.  If you reeeeeaaally have to watch it, save your money and go get it from your local library.  And since you're already there, grab a book so you can be entertained during the movie.

Unfortunately I watched Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker last night...

Star_Wars_The_Rise_of_Skywalker_poster.jpg

I'll preface my review with the fact that I have seen nothing of episodes 7 or 8 nor have i seen any of the disney spin-off cash-printing movies.  Yesterday was my boy's 8th birthday and he wanted to see the movie.  He doesn't know a whole lot about Star Wars, but he likes the action and light sabers and whatnot.  So we went.  This movie sucks; it's a hot mess.  Halfway through I was texting my dad and wondering when this would be over and we could leave.  The whole thing seemed kind of watery with little substance. 

"Luke was looking for this thing and never could find it, but he left a notebook with clues." 

"Hey guys, I know we're dead tired already and our space ships that are subjected to the vacuum of space, different planetary atmospheres, and light speed are currently on fire stem to stern and broken, but we have 16 hours before bad things happen and we need to find this thing Luke was seeking." 

"Right!  Let's go exploring the galaxy and find this thing in 16 hours!  Go team!"  

Gimme a break.  And the final fight scene, while pretty cool and everything, was dumb on the details and how it goes down.  Only one #$*@# transmitter?  ONE?!?!?  BS.  I don't know how the story goes in the books, but I feel as if I lost 2 1/2 hours of my life (including sh*tty previews) on this Team Reunion mess.  Spill your money at your own risk.  One star.  

Took my son to see The Sonic Movie this weekend.  I thought it was pretty enjoyable, but my son was ecstatic, as a Big-time Sonic fan. Played all the games, etc. Apparently there is quite a bit of dedicated fan service in the movie, that I would have had no idea of if I hadn't been sitting next to him and having him exclaim of each of them.

As an adult, though, I enjoyed it.  Well enough to recommend seeing it in the theater if you have kids and are looking for a movie to see, or if you are a Sonic fan. Not well enough to recommend spending money on it if you are just looking for something to watch, with no particular interest in Sonic. The Sonic character is very endearing and it was nice to see Jim Carey in a role that was more suited for him (and especially a role in which it is okay for me to hate him). To me they could have focused a little more on the weirdness of the character and the whole situation, and made the movie more entertaining in that way. As it was, it was a pretty conventional story line, but the characters and comedy performances make it more watchable than that would imply.

Last edited by a moderator:
We did watch "Hit and Run" last night - I think it was on Hulu but it has Dax Shepard, Bradly Cooper, and Kristen Bell. Plus it has a bad ass Lincoln Continental in it (worth watching just for that)

Wouldn't pay movie theater money for it, but decent enough to kill a Sunday night..

Back