Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes that move was enjoyable!

Man thats  a really nice CPR Doll!

I need to add that to the DVD Collection! - Yes I still have one..

We watched Star Wars - Sky walker last night, I dont remember it being as meh in the theaters as it was at home..

Line up on Sundance channel last Sunday

The longest yard (original 1974) started at 11:30
Kelly’s heroes
Stripes
Smokey & the bandit (1, 2, and 3) in succession 

Busy day!

scrubbing the bottom of the barrel we watched Dirty Grandpa over the weekend, the front half was pretty funny- I did spring break in Daytona in 1990 so that part brought back some memories- 

I just wonder if Robert DeNiro knows that he isnt a tough guy in real life?

Watched Soul Surfer this weekend - these types of movies are not usually my bag (true story, horrific accident, religious theme, that bitch Helen Hunt, etc) but it was pretty good. Especially since there isn’t jack shit else on these days...

What is it with the movie (maybe there is more than one) that has the trailer on TV saying "In Theaters Only"?

Like, they're not going to release it via streaming? In which case, why is it a good idea to release it at all when states like CA (12% of the entire country's population) have no plans to reopen movie theaters any time soon, as far as I know... It just seems strange to me!

I dont know (haven't seen many trailers recently) - we have a few drive in movie theaters open here, but most are showing old movies.

I wonder what type of contract arrangements exist between Hollywood and AMC, etc for revenue - I always heard the theaters didn't get much in the share of the tix sales- which is why popcorn is $75. But I wonder if some of the mega movies (say Marval) has some type of agreement about showing the movie in person via streaming?

Yeah, the few other trailers I have seen on TV since COVID-19 times started said they'd be streaming. Next time I see the trailer, I'll make a mental note and go look it up. It was funny to see in any case... What used to be normal "In theaters on [insert date]!!!" is now surprising to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some movies just need the big screen, like Top Gun 2 - which is apparently delayed until December :(

Of all the things that are closed, or that I personally won't go to because of COVID-19, I think I miss the movies the most...

Here are some of my top picks for movies:

Flight Plan
Oblivion
Edge of tomorrow 
The commuter
Non-stop
The grey
The edge 
Skyscraper
Rampage
The Witcher on Netflix
Yesterday
The host
The giver
The adjustment bureau
The Martian
Passengers
The tourist
Transcendence
Salt
Bridge of spies
Angel has Fallen, third in the trilogy
Stuber
A Simple Favor
Game Night
Peppermint 
The Equalizer, 1 and 2
Contagion (done 10 years ago, spot on about COVID)
Atomic Blonde
Arrival
American Made
The Hitmans Bodyguard
Safehouse

All latest "Star Trek" with Chris Pine

Lord of the Rings

See on Apple TV

I always heard the theaters didn't get much in the share of the tix sales- which is why popcorn is $75.
True story. Used to work at a theatre when I was in high school. We were the only theatre that actually made our popcorn fresh (most will pop a bunch before the weekend and then pack it in big bags to use over the weekend/week) so we would have a few people who would come in to just buy popcorn. We loved it because it would boost our numbers quite a bit...they would calculate the amount of food sold -vs- number of tickets sold.

Not sure if you can still do it, but at ours and a lot of other theatres, people could figure out movie times and buy one ticket but jump from one movie to another and watch 2 or 3 movies in a row. As long as they were grazing while they did it, we looked the other way.

In non-COVID times, Mr. Leggo and I frequented a local small movie theater (only two screen, definitely not the biggest screens either) that fresh-popped their popcorn. Since COVID times, they've been selling their popcorn and beverages by the can (you could get canned beer/ciders/etc. for decent prices) for a few hours every Saturday. I usually forget but a few weeks ago, was in the right place at the right time and went and got some... It was freaking delicious... You bet I got the butter!

The main thing I miss about the movies is it was a good way to clear my mind, lots of Fridays at the end of a shit week of work instead of going to a bar before going home I would go grab a movie by myself - seems lonely but it was always pretty relaxing - nice break in between the end of work and the beginning of a long weekend of "Kid BS" ( soccer, baseball, scouts, running ragged type nonsense)

This is on amazon prime...

MV5BMTk0OTgyN2QtNzY5My00ZGYzLTkxOGYtOWIyYWFhY2U5YzExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg

Totally worth watching

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0099581/

I remember that. 

Has anyone seen the new Tom Hanks war movie, Greyhound? He plays a destroyer captain in the North Atlantic theater of WW2. As far as I know it's only available for viewing on Apple plus, and there's no way in hell I am signing up for another streaming service.

When I was a teenager I read Alistair MacLean's "HMS Ulysses" and really got sucked into that story. I read it again as an adult when I was working on offshore oil platforms. Super intense book, based on the author's own experiences, and pretty grim in both imagery and final outcomes.  It was a pretty big bestseller but never made into a movie. Greyhound looks like an American version of that. 

220px-Club_paradise.jpg

Found this little gem at 2nd Charles (Used Movie / Music / Game Store) Defin some classic 1980's Robin Williams and Eugene Levy - 

I imagine this is hard to find on a streaming service, but defin recommend if you can find it!

Latest posts

Back