Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw Green Lantern over the weekend, and thought it was so-so.

I honestly thought that Ryan Renolds was going to ruin the movie. He didn't, but the 5 minute big boss fight in the end of the movie kinda did.

that's one comic movie i won't be seeing

waiting for captain america to come out and finish the avengers set up though

Took mini-mizzou to see Cars 2 this weekend. He wasn't really excited once it started. He liked the Toy Story short more than the movie.

There were many times he said "Where is McQueen?" and "Is Mater okay?".

movie was a little too grown-up for the audience they were aiming for. Sure it would be good for those that were the same age when Cars 1 came out, but for the little ones it was too many explosions, gattling guns, and such.

The Smurfs and Muppet movie previews just looked horrible.

My son got bored and tired and demanded to go home just 30 minutes into Cars 2. I was kind of bored, too. Looks like Pixar finally bombed.

To be honest, I've been kind of rolling my eyes through the last two Pixar movies, too. I thought "Up" was way too sad and manipulative for a kid's movie. Same thing with toy Story 3, at the end. I wanted to throw my drink at the screen when they were all holding hands, slipping down into the incinerator. Pixar let its critical success go to its head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw Drive Angry this weekend. Didn't expect much, but it turned out to be decent, in a Ghost Rider-ish sort of way. Couple of good nude scenes (one of which had my wife pumping her fists in the air, yelling, "go girl!'), but none with Amber Heard. Gotta see The Jonses to see that.

Marly and Me has been on FX, I think I have finally seen most of the movie through bits and pieces..

For anyone that has a dog that is almost one of your kids, what a really great movie that was...

& yes its hard to put owen wilson and great in a movie but I think they pulled it off

I paid the extra money to see CARS 2 in 3D.

Me = Fail.

My son has had a CARS themed birthday party for the last 4 years (maybe it has been 5), and he has been waiting on this for years. He still keeps talking about it, so I won't say it sucked in front of him. Don't want to rain on his parade, but IT SUCKED.

I'm dissappointed. They could have brought that piece of shit movie out within a year of the first. To wait this long, for that, ... sucked.

I've seen too many movies since my last review, but my most recent viewing is Waiting for Superman. It dealt with a lot of what I expected out of the public school system(s) in America. Of course, it is all high-level. The stats are just sad, though. My disdain for unions was further cemented when the teacher's union was covered. In general, unions make me sick. Teachers, in general, are between ok and good. It's the limitations put on them by the unions that f up the whole shootin' match.

Anywho, back to the point, I'd recommend this movie to anyone who is even remotely curious about the education system in this country. I feel sorry for the many parents who are going through the same situations as those in the movie, but this is what happens when those who make the laws think of themselves for 50 years and not children the policies impact.

I also thought Waiting for Supermen was an awesome film, although I found it to be very disheartening. There are no easy solutions...

LOL - I was just reading reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and came across this scorcher from A.O. Scott (NY Times) on Cars 2:

Pixar has now found its redneck Jar-Jar Binks. Such a proud moment.
Ouch.

my kids and I are looking forward to the new transformers movie, hope its better than the 2nd one...

But does anyone know what is the story line? I cant tell from the trailers, what is it that the Humans "lied" about to the transformers?? that has them pissed of??

I will be taking my son to see Transformers this weekend. I'm hoping this will be better than the 2nd. The 2nd pissed me off with too many "holes" and untied loose ends with the story line, most of which arrise from the final fight sequence, such as:

1)there were characters in two places at the same time (green dumptruck and cement truck are fighting in the city, but somehow still part of Devastator back at the pyramid),

2) they show one of the Decepticons approacing the final fight who had been killed by Optimus during the first movie (the army truck with the extendable arm who was killed on the freeway of the 1st movie)

3) the final fight scene shows Ratchet (green med-truck) and Ironhide (black GMC truck) getting blown-up by the airstrike, but no mention of them ever again in the movie (nor any other mention of the rest of the fight as if it just magically ended once it was Optimus vs Megatron & the Fallen) Are we to assume that the airstrike just killed everything, but still stopped short enough that all the Autobots & soldiers are unharmed?

4) Volt (the blue car that "saves" Optimus with the extra parts from Jetfire - the SR-71 blackbird) only appears in the movie twice with no back story, and one of those appearances looks like a mistake because he's shown once, but is missing in the next angle. Then the second appearance he's just magically there, but never seen in the fight before or afterward.

5) The decepticons which dive down into the ocean to get Megatron aren't consistent. They show one set from the overhead view of the boat, a similar third set jumping overboard, and a third set underwater (including the one that is killed for parts).

6) WTF is up with the 30 second cop chase in Egypt? They're just cruising along just fine, they see 2 cops, swerve onto the shoulder to avoid them and then just drive off and the cops basically disappear. Completely pointless scene.

More than anything, the 2nd movie just sucked as far as character management. Too many characters magically showed up, disappeared, changed, duplicated, etc for me to really like it. The plot was manageable (what do you really expect with a movie based on toys?)

I will be taking my son to see Transformers this weekend. I'm hoping this will be better than the 2nd. The 2nd pissed me off with too many "holes" and untied loose ends with the story line, most of which arrise from the final fight sequence, such as:1)there were characters in two places at the same time (green dumptruck and cement truck are fighting in the city, but somehow still part of Devastator back at the pyramid),

2) they show one of the Decepticons approacing the final fight who had been killed by Optimus during the first movie (the army truck with the extendable arm who was killed on the freeway of the 1st movie)

3) the final fight scene shows Ratchet (green med-truck) and Ironhide (black GMC truck) getting blown-up by the airstrike, but no mention of them ever again in the movie (nor any other mention of the rest of the fight as if it just magically ended once it was Optimus vs Megatron & the Fallen) Are we to assume that the airstrike just killed everything, but still stopped short enough that all the Autobots & soldiers are unharmed?

4) Volt (the blue car that "saves" Optimus with the extra parts from Jetfire - the SR-71 blackbird) only appears in the movie twice with no back story, and one of those appearances looks like a mistake because he's shown once, but is missing in the next angle. Then the second appearance he's just magically there, but never seen in the fight before or afterward.

5) The decepticons which dive down into the ocean to get Megatron aren't consistent. They show one set from the overhead view of the boat, a similar third set jumping overboard, and a third set underwater (including the one that is killed for parts).

6) WTF is up with the 30 second cop chase in Egypt? They're just cruising along just fine, they see 2 cops, swerve onto the shoulder to avoid them and then just drive off and the cops basically disappear. Completely pointless scene.

More than anything, the 2nd movie just sucked as far as character management. Too many characters magically showed up, disappeared, changed, duplicated, etc for me to really like it. The plot was manageable (what do you really expect with a movie based on toys?)
ummm, I don't think anyone is under the illusion that people are watching Transformers for the plot.

I still own both of them, and I plan on buying the 3rd. Despite the few things that annoy me about them, my son loves them both and we've watched them together several times (probably why I've spotted all those annoyances).

ummm, I don't think anyone is under the illusion that people are watching Transformers for the plot.
I watched the first two for Ms. Club Thumbs.

megan-fox-thumbs.jpg

I never got the attraction for her, either. She looks like a lot lizard you'd pick up at a Flyin' J truck stop.

Back