Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention that we also saw Mortal Kombat on Monday. This little gem reminded me why I don't see more movies based on video games. At times, I didn't know if I should have a pacifier in my mouth while holding glow sticks and raving with the music or what. FWIW, it's an old movie and, at the time, wasn't all that bad. But relative to today's technology and special effects use, I've been spoiled with realistic fakeness... not MK's fake fakeness.

On the whole, a good retro flick.

Watched Machete yesterday. It was actually a pretty decnt plot, but the bginning and end of the film were just ridiculous. Not a film for the squeamish, but the 'special' effects were pretty hilarious.

Forgot to mention that we also saw Mortal Kombat on Monday. This little gem reminded me why I don't see more movies based on video games. At times, I didn't know if I should have a pacifier in my mouth while holding glow sticks and raving with the music or what. FWIW, it's an old movie and, at the time, wasn't all that bad. But relative to today's technology and special effects use, I've been spoiled with realistic fakeness... not MK's fake fakeness.
On the whole, a good retro flick.

What, you didn't like Scorpion's little CGI spear thingy zipping through the woods?

I was hoping someone would have something to say about he latest Pirates movie or the Hangover sequel. I'm thinking of heading down to the hadji shop to see if they have the DVD's yet. Hopefully they didn't pay the extra $$$ to sneak the camcorder into the 3-D version of Pirates...the picture on those always sucks and the hadji DVD's don't come with glasses.

Watched Machete yesterday. It was actually a pretty decnt plot, but the bginning and end of the film were just ridiculous. Not a film for the squeamish, but the 'special' effects were pretty hilarious.
I have this one in my stack of DVD's I still need to watch.

I'm sure I'll see hangover 2 this weekend

Finished watching "I am Number Four" real good movie...wish there had been more action though. Leaves open for a sequel

I was hoping someone would have something to say about he latest Pirates movie or the Hangover sequel. I'm thinking of heading down to the hadji shop to see if they have the DVD's yet. Hopefully they didn't pay the extra $$$ to sneak the camcorder into the 3-D version of Pirates...the picture on those always sucks and the hadji DVD's don't come with glasses.
I saw the latest Pirates movie earlier this week. It was pretty good... about what I expected. I had been a little disappointed with the last couple... it seemed like they were trying to introduce new people and new plot twists so often that I found myself not having a clue what was going on halfway through the movies. This one was good though... straight forward, but entertaining.

But, like the rest, the ending was basically an ally-oop for the next installment. I'm guessing eventually these will be like the Saw movies, with "P of the C 9" losing any corrolation to the first movies.

but truely it is the type of movie that doesn't have to relate to the first one. It is the story of Capt Jack Sparrow and his adventures...so it could go on forever. As long as johnny depp wants to reprise the role it will continue. There is no POTC without him.

we finally went and saw Pirates last night, It was pretty good, but a little slow at some times.

I didnt care for as much "land" time , there should be more boat time in a pirate movie IMO

this coming weekends drive inn line up is the Pirates of the carribean and Thor double feature....looks liek it is going to be a late night Sat.

The wife and I saw Xmen on Friday. I really liked it, but I geek out over those movies.

First Class seems to be pretty polarizing - either people really like it, or think it's so bad that they spoof it like crazy on TV.

My sister said super 8 sucked big time, not worth even a red box rental.

She usually has a good sense on movies.

She has seen Thor 5 times already...but that particular movie might just be for the 45 seconds of eye candy.

My sister said super 8 sucked big time, not worth even a red box rental.
She usually has a good sense on movies.

She has seen Thor 5 times already...but that particular movie might just be for the 45 seconds of eye candy.
bummed to hear that...was thinking of taking the kids this week. at least it will be cool in the theater.

I thought Super 8 was pretty good. there is some added footage after the credits too.

but what do I know, I haven't seen Thor even once.

First class was great, lots of action and the writing was true to the series. there was even a cameo appearance by Logan!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw First Class this weekend, and I liked it. I loved how they developed the Magneto character.

I thought Pirates was pretty decent, given all the bad reviews and low expectations I had going into it.

I also enjoyed Thor. Well, at least the part where he enjoys the coffee so much at the diner, that he smashes the mug on the floor and demands another.

Ended up seeing First Class last night

Wife and I both loved it

I'm not a comic book reader so I don't know how it compared to that...but it was a good action movie. I just wish the sound was turned up more.

Honestly, wasn't a huge fan of "Thor". I would categorize it as one of those movies that was decent enough, but still glad I didn't pay the $10 to see it in the theatre.

Need to run up to the hadji shop and see if they have any more of Pirates and X-men DVD's yet. Probably better to wait a couple weeks anyway to make sure they get a decent copy...sometimes if you rush over to get them when they first come out, the quality isn't too great.

Honestly, wasn't a huge fan of "Thor". I would categorize it as one of those movies that was decent enough, but still glad I didn't pay the $10 to see it in the theatre.
Need to run up to the hadji shop and see if they have any more of Pirates and X-men DVD's yet. Probably better to wait a couple weeks anyway to make sure they get a decent copy...sometimes if you rush over to get them when they first come out, the quality isn't too great.
"Down in front...I'm trying to video this movie."

Back