Mosul Dam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When do you deploy? I know you just came back from your annual 3 week training.

**** (not dam) man. given the recent conflicts there, how secure is that region?

NJMike... it isn't.

I’ll be planning and setting up the Mosul Dam Project Office.  Mosul Dam is in bad shape and could collapse at any time, potentially killing over a million people with a wall of flood waters 70’ high in Mosul, Tikrit, Samarra, and Baghdad.  Portions of the floodway are controlled by ISIS and represent a significant evacuation issue.  An Italian company has been awarded the contract to fix the problems with the dam, but in order to do it, they need security.  The Italian government has agreed to provide 1600 troops to seize the dam and secure, but in order to get there, they must fight through ISIS controlled territory.

My piece in all of this is to plan the USACE project office and flex forward once the security has been established and help run the project office, probably be based out of Baghdad.

In my travels, I never visited that part of Iraq.  Like most of Sadam's water projects, they were built well by Europeans.  That is the only reason most of them have not failed yet.  Good Luck

Good luck over there, Sapper.  I hope those A-holes appreciate what you are doing for them.  Stay safe!  

Oh dear.  When do you retire?

Hopefully, you can get most of your work done from your desk...

I saw on FB last night that you were deploying...I know mrs. Sap will need the support while you are gone, but the world now knows she will be home alone for several months.   Things like that just scare me in todays world of crazies.  I am paranoid about talking about or posting when mr snick is gone or if we aren't going to be home.

Her latest painting concepts with soldiers is actually really awesome.      

Back