Most useful threads for enviro exam prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awfully quiet in this forum...hopefully everyone is done studying and just kicking back at this point, right?

Yeah, I guess the exam is just around the corner! Boy am I glad I don't have to go through that again....

Any advice how to wrap things up? I study last two months and now I feel like I don't need to study at all

Any advice how to wrap things up? I study last two months and now I feel like I don't need to study at all

Have you taken the NCEES practice exam, under test conditions? I was pretty confident and I thought I was done studying until I did that. What a surprise! Good thing I had 5 or 6 weeks left.

If you really are done at this point, I might take a break for a few days and then spend the rest of your time reworking problems. Choose ones that you have trouble with or that you think are likely to be on the exam. I remember working all of my practice problems at least twice...some of them I worked 4 or 5 times.

I wouldn't do too much during the week of the exam. Make sure your references are together and organized, make sure you have everything you need to take the exam, and then try to relax.

I did take the 2011 exam under test conditions. Looks like I am organized but still have trouble finding material in my notes because I don't know which sections are morning and which one are for afternoon? Overall I am stressing out because this is my second time so I don't want to mess it up again.

I have smaller binders with air, haz waste, water and waste water etc. do you recommend making a big binder for morning and one for afternoon?

I did take the 2011 exam under test conditions. Looks like I am organized but still have trouble finding material in my notes because I don't know which sections are morning and which one are for afternoon? Overall I am stressing out because this is my second time so I don't want to mess it up again.

I have smaller binders with air, haz waste, water and waste water etc. do you recommend making a big binder for morning and one for afternoon?

I don't recommend organizing based on how you think the exam will be organized. Just organize based on topic, so that way you will be prepared no matter what.

I recall spending the last 2 weeks just re-doing practice problems, and reading sections of textbooks in areas I was weak on. I think the reading is important, in order to be able to answer all the qualitative questions (not that you will remember it all, but it will help you remember which book to look in).

Thanks David, Dleg. Under pressure I always forget which book to use. Open channel flow, and remediation scares me the most. I have been studying Lageraga for remediation this time but sure what to do with Kuo's. There was no question from Kuo's last time. 18 more days to go then I can finally enjoy something

Does anyone know of a good reference for different kinds of respirators to use for different contaminants?

The NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards will tell you exactly which respirators to use with each chemical listed. If you don't have one, borrow one or buy one for yourself. It's a useful reference to have, although probably not if all you ever do is design work.

I think you can also find this guide online, but it would take a lot of printing to get it into a format you could take into the exam. I don't remember how expensive it is to buy, but it might be worth it.

The NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards will tell you exactly which respirators to use with each chemical listed. If you don't have one, borrow one or buy one for yourself. It's a useful reference to have, although probably not if all you ever do is design work.

I think you can also find this guide online, but it would take a lot of printing to get it into a format you could take into the exam. I don't remember how expensive it is to buy, but it might be worth it.

Here's the CDC's page for the guide: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/

They will send you a copy for FREE. I ordered a copy for the April exam (they offered a more recent copy than what I had) and they shipped it very quickly, although with the shutdown you are probably out of luck for this month's exam.

I don't have my EERM anymore, but there was good information on PPE in there. I seem to remember a table at the end of one of the chapters that I found very useful as far as the different levels of protection.

Here's the CDC's page for the guide: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/

They will send you a copy for FREE. I ordered a copy for the April exam (they offered a more recent copy than what I had) and they shipped it very quickly, although with the shutdown you are probably out of luck for this month's exam.
Thanks for the info! I am going to take advantage of that - my copy is now 7 years old.

Edit - nevermind - the print version is still the 2006 edition. The newer version (2010) is only available on CD-ROM.

Last edited by a moderator:
The inside cover of my print edition is dated September 2007. I got it in late 2011 or early 2012.

I'm in Syracuse. I went to college up north.

the other board = PPI. I am not sure if they even have a forum anymore, but they are certainly still the place to go for exam reference manuals and prep materials.

Back