Left early?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

forelsu

How many people left early from the exam? Either due to finishing early and feeling confident or to giving up. I left 20 minutes early in the AM. In the PM there were a few problems that I wouldn't have been able to solve with another 4 hours.

I don't think I could have reworked any problems to get different (maybe correct, if wrong) answers, but now I'm regretting leaving a little.

Last edited:
How many people left early from the exam? Either due to finishing early and feeling confident or to giving up. I left 20 minutes early in the AM. I don't think I could have reworked any problems to get different (maybe correct, if wrong) answers, but now I'm regretting leaving a little.

I finished in about 3 hours for both the morning and afternoon portions and then spent about 20-30 minutes checking numbers and then left (I was one of the first to get up both times and I got some strange looks...especially since I sat on the very front row and had to walk a ridiculous way to the back of the room to leave). I couldn't sit still any longer and I felt that there was absolutely nothing more that I could do. Even still today, there is only 1 problem that I would have changed if I could.

I think my confidence/quickness came from knowing my material. I knew my CERM inside and out and I knew my transpo reference books too.

If you feel there was no other way to rework the problems, then you are doing pretty good. I had read many times about those who figured out how to work certain problems the moment they walked out the door or as they were going to sleep that night.

I was finished after about 2.5 hours in the morning but I didn't realize you could leave early so I spent another half-hour checking bubbles and going to the bathroom. In the afternoon, I left with a little more than an hour left.

Of course, I don't know if I passed or not yet (thanks California) but I felt pretty confident after both morning and afternoon. It just seemed a lot easier than I expected.

I took the PE, SE1, SE2. The only exam that I left early from was the SE2. I passed and left about 30 minutes early.

I left with about 30-45 min. left in each session. I didn't want to second guess anything so I didn't spend a lot of time looking over questions I thought were right. I spent time going over questions that I had marked as unsure and left.

I finished about 30 minutes early in the AM and PM. I spent another 20 minutes just making sure the bubbles were filled in completely and erasing any sign of stray pencil marks on the answer sheet. I also counted the problems I felt really confident about and "self graded" myself. With about 10 minutes left, I just closed my test and just sat there. By the way, my estimated "self graded" score was 85% and was right on with what I actually got.

Last edited:
I left the PM with about 40 minutes left. There was one problem that was just giving me fits and I worked on it for something like 20 minutes and actacked it from a couple of directions and still couldn't come up with an answer. So I said "C looks good" and that was that. Hope it went as well as I thought, still waiting...

I finished about 30 minutes early in the AM and PM. I spent another 20 minutes just making sure the bubbles were filled in completely and erasing any sign of stray pencil marks on the answer sheet. I also counted the problems I felt really confident about and "self graded" myself. With about 10 minutes left, I just closed my test and just sat there. By the way, my estimated "self graded" score was 85% and was right on with what I actually got.
How do you know what you actually got? NCEEs hasn't released scores for a couple years.

How many people left early from the exam? Either due to finishing early and feeling confident or to giving up. I left 20 minutes early in the AM. In the PM there were a few problems that I wouldn't have been able to solve with another 4 hours.
I don't think I could have reworked any problems to get different (maybe correct, if wrong) answers, but now I'm regretting leaving a little.
I worked right up to the last second for both morning and afternoon sessions. I used the morning time to double check answers. In the afternoon, I was guessing on probably six questions. I passed.

I left about an hour early in the morning and about two hours early in the afternoon. I have always been a very fast test taker. With my significant breadth of experience and recent schooling (I went back to school full time for 2004) I was pretty confident about the vast majority of my answers. Luckily, I passed, because I would have felt really stupid if I hadn't.

I took the Civil-Transportation exam and finished early in the morning, but since I was in the very front row I just stuck around and checked answers and breathed and took it all in. The afternoon was not quite as nice and I used my extra time to actually change a geotech answer...the CERM was horribly vague about the topic but my Soils book explained it in great detail with a quick and dirty equation, so I recalculated what had been a bad guess.

Scores are given to us in the great state of Texas.
That's weird. I know the director of the WV PE Board pretty well. She told us that the Boards didn't receive the scores anymore per NCEES. I wonder how Texas still gets them? I wanted one several times after I failed. I would like to know how well I did now that I've passed.

The boards don't receive the scores anymore...
that's not true in Oklahoma.

In any case, NCEES has no "authority" over the boards.(although I'm certain the organization has a degree of "clout") If the Board of a particular state wants the scores and wants to distribute them to its examinees, it without question has the authority to do so. If a particular board chooses to accept NCEES' recommendation, it certainly can do that as well.

In Oklahoma's case, the board does receive and file each examinee's score, but will not disclose it to any examinee. I understand these scores are filed in the case they are necessary for an application for comity in another state.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished with 45 minutes left in the AM and simply made sure I had filled out my answer sheet correctly. I didn't really look over any problems becuase I didn't want to get into a situation where I was second guessing myself. Just kinda scanned it over. I finished with 30 minutes or so left in the PM I think and did something similar.

I was one of the earliest to leave each time. That's unusual for me, as I was never a speedy test taker in college because it's not a race.

I finished early....but I didn't leave, both in the AM and PM portions. I went back and on the ones that I wasn't 100% confident on, I dug deeper into the materials I brought. I had come SOOO close on the other 3 attempts that I realized I could not afford to give even ONE single question away, if there was a chance for me to get it correct.

Trust me.....If you have ONE problem that you think you might know the answer to, or that you're close to solving, you're better to stay and just work that one question, than to leave early, and find out you failed by one or two questions 2 months later!!!!!

It must have paid off for me!!!!

Back