Last thing watched on netflix / Amazon..................

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nymphomaniac Volume I and II.

Make no mistake about it, this thing is chock full of nudity and genitalia of both sexes, so make sure your kids are at least 50 miles away from the TV.  Not a movie to throw on with Grandma and Granpda on the couch.

Now, that said, I assumed this was going to be one of those crappy documentaries Netflix puts out like the ones on call girls, etc., but it isn't.  I watched after seeing a cast of relatively well known actors (Christian Slater, Willem Dafoe, Shia Lebouf, Stellan Skarsgard), and the whole movie is really messed up but well done, IMO.  It's a fictional story that follows a woman from childhood through adulthood (movie begins with her being found alive in an alleyway), chronicling her obsession with sex and how it made her a horrible person (relationships, extortion, motherhood, crime in adulthood).  It's all told in a series of chapters in which she describes the happenings to the man that found her outside.  Volume II has a surprising twist at the end.  

Last edited by a moderator:
so if one reads the GOT books before watching the tv series, will they be disappointed when they watch the show?  

so if one reads the GOT books before watching the tv series, will they be disappointed when they watch the show?  
I read the first book of the series and preferred the show, so I'll say no.

I know people who have read all the books and done both, and other than complaining about missing characters or different story lines, none of them said it ruined the show for them.

I'm about half way through listening to the 3 GOT book...it'a almost 40 hrs long.  I have ready access to audio for book 4.  Will have to visit the library for the rest.  But I want to finish the books before watching.  I already have a mental picture in my head fo the characters and don't want to mess it up while just yet.  Although they use a different person to voice the book in the 4th one...not looking for to that.  I might see the library has a version with the same voice as the 

Well since George can't seem to put down the turkey leg and finish writing the books that may be a while before you get to read "all" the books!

I've read the first 3 but I started reading them after watching the first season- there is so much extra content in the books I don't think it really matters if you read them or watch then first.

And did Supe just say Shia Labuff was a legit actor?

The GoT books provide a lot more backstory and "thought processes" that are missed in the show, but the show does a really good job of telling it's own version of the story.

For the most part they run the same storyline, but the show does take some liberties in the name of condensing it all into manageable episodes and subplots.

The last couple of seasons of the show are HBO's doing with George's input. They know his final storyline and have said they'll follow it, but we'll see how that goes.

I read the books at the same time I watched the show. I have a hard time keeping characters straight without being able to put a face to them (took me a couple of tries to get through Lord of the Rings), so I watched the first episode after only reading a couple of chapters. Unfortunately, I hadn't read far enough to be prepared for the Bran/Jamie scene.

My SO and I are in the middle of GoT right now, also. I have a funky history of watching that show. I've seen the full sixth season, but prior to that, had only seen a single episode: the finale of season 2. So, at some point after season 6 ended, we started from the beginning. We've made it to nearly the end of season 3, and will see how far we get before season 7 starts. Because I know we'll just jump right back to season 7, even if I haven't seen all of seasons 4 and 5 (my boyfriend, however, has seen all of the seasons roughly as they came out).

It's kind of fun knowing who makes it through to the sixth season, and learning who the people who were referred to in the sixth season but died earlier on are. That happened a LOT in the first and second seasons.

I watched shooter (which was on USA network) somehow they made an entire season of the movie "sniper" originally with Mark Wallburg?  Wasn't bad but was fairly predictable...  Not sure what they do for a season 2 though?

Also I watched some of Flaked - its like a Netflix californication - I give it 4 stars (out of 12)

Also I watched all of the new season of The Ranch in like 4 days. I wish I had some discipline to not do that :D

I just finished "The Ranch" yesterday.  Didn't watch the whole thing in one sitting, but it was a good one to watch a few episodes if there wasn't anything else on, so it was pretty close.

The wife wants to watch "Glow" but we haven't had a chance to sit down and watch it yet.  I remember when I was a kid watching "Glow" on TV...young enough that I thought it (and WWF) was actually real wrestling).

My SO and I are in the middle of GoT right now, also. I have a funky history of watching that show. I've seen the full sixth season, but prior to that, had only seen a single episode: the finale of season 2. So, at some point after season 6 ended, we started from the beginning. We've made it to nearly the end of season 3, and will see how far we get before season 7 starts. Because I know we'll just jump right back to season 7, even if I haven't seen all of seasons 4 and 5 (my boyfriend, however, has seen all of the seasons roughly as they came out).

It's kind of fun knowing who makes it through to the sixth season, and learning who the people who were referred to in the sixth season but died earlier on are. That happened a LOT in the first and second seasons.
I was reading the books after binge watching season 1-4 and during season 5, it got pretty confusing at times.

I was reading the books after binge watching season 1-4 and during season 5, it got pretty confusing at times.
I've only made it two or three episodes into Season 4... Why was season 5 confusing? Or more like, is it more confusing than any other season? The whole first two seasons, I basically couldn't tell you who anyone was. Haha!

I've only made it two or three episodes into Season 4... Why was season 5 confusing? Or more like, is it more confusing than any other season? The whole first two seasons, I basically couldn't tell you who anyone was. Haha!
The real question here is whether or not you've seen the episode commonly referred to as "The Red Wedding". :D

Back