Is the AISC Seismic Design Manual essential to have for the SE lateral exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note that AISC 341--the real meat and potatoes of the Seismic Design Manual--is available as a free download:

https://www.aisc.org/globalassets/aisc/publications/standards/aisc-341-16_january-2020.pdf
Personally, I found the examples in the print version of the SDM to be invaluable for obtaining a grasp on seismic detailing requirements. You can also purchase SEAOC SSDM Vol. 4, which is very helpful for high-seismic design in structural steel. Discount through NCSEA if you're a member of your local Structural Engineers Association.

@Reed D asked a legitimate question for someone who hasn't done seismic design in steel before - no need to rake them through the coals for asking a question.
One way to convince the questioner of the high importance involved. Nothing more than that.

I came out the same question when I started to review the SE steel part recently. One of my friend (building discipline) who passed the later exam strongly suggested me to go over all examples in the Seismic Design Manual. But when I looked into several examples, I felt it is too deep for me. Also, spending too much time in one topic seems not practical. I am taking the bridge exam. So I only need to worry about those questions in the AM portion. Any suggestions how to effectively study the steel part or how to tab the seismic design manual?

I agree, most of the examples in SDM are way too deep. The examples is not what makes this manual very important. If you have a different sources of examples such as AEI class, you should be ok. I still covered some of the examples in SDM but only as a brief review, not working through an entire problem.
The seismic tables for steel design and prequalified connections in the end of the SDM are essential for successfully passing the lateral exam.

Back