Interview tips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what my gut tells me also.

It's just weird because it seems like this job keeps being presented to me.

Quality-of-life might be a little better with the city job right now I'm in the car two hours a day this would put me in the car maybe an hour a day.

I like your idea of using your experience to help other municipalities or county governments as a program management consultant. Does your current firm do that kind of thing? Or are you mostly just doing design work?

We've had a lot of firms out here in Micronesia for that kind of thing. I use CH2M Hill (out of Denver!) for a lot of utility training, operations, and planning projects to support what I am doing. I personally would quit before I would cede program management to a consultant, but other entities out here do that all the time, in recent years, and the feds seem to almost expect it, now. Guam has used Parsons to manage big parts of their highway program, and Veolia to actually operate their water and wastewater utilities.

We just got into PM here in Colorado (this Weld County work). I am basically running it but I wasn't "responsible" for winning it.. I can see it going places... But most people in my office have no public sector experience and don't understand that local government has a "the commissioners want this like right now" attitude that doesn't exist if you work for state clients...

Maybe I just need to be patient...

When I was at the county we had consultants that liked to call themselves program managers but I would always call them "Staff Supplementation". They didn't make decisions just provided bodies....

Be patient. If you're good at that, and nobody else in your firm is, pretty soon you be the guy that is requested on new contracts, or the guy your firm advertises in proposals, and your value will increase.

That's advice coming from a guy who spent 13 years working without a raise for an agency that hated him, so take that for what it's worth!

that Weld County gig sounds like it might bear fruit. You understand thier needs, you give them good service and more work will come without you having to go a-whoring

Last edited by a moderator:
that husky fellow that sat at my tble at the ASHE luch is your boss? he is no rock star,,, And he makes fatty money? wtf have I done with my life?

My first engineering job (well I was still a student) was working for the city engineer in Clarksville, TN. I thought it seemed like the coolest job. You could really shape the way a community develops. It could also probably be a pretty crappy job when everyone blames you. But it seems like the sort of job that you'd need to stay in for awhile to really appreciate.

Cement- yeah he is my direct boss.. The skinny guy to his right was my other boss.... That's my same thought.... I figure I could wear him down eventually...

- fraz. It does have its benefits... I was able to do kind of the same thing at my job back in GA but the politics can wear on you.... And dealing with the public day in day out- they treat you like some cashier at Sears who didn't give them their senior citizen discount.. The GA job became one where the expectations was "no mistakes" and that's hard to do when your running a nearly billion dollar construction program.. Things are going to break...

These jobs (city/county)do appear to pop up a lot around here.... I think I will stretch this out for a total of 2 years and then reevaluate....

Not to take away from RG's discussion, but I found something else out about the Bremerton, WA job I have been considering: it is a limited term appointment. It can end after 2 years if the funding source (EPA) doesn't renew, and at 4 years it's gone for sure - no option to extend. So I would have to commit to being a temporary employee only, and be looking for my next assignment almost from the point I start work.

I suppose that's more in line with uniformed service work, but that's pretty rare for USPHS. Moving around looks good on your resume, but it's not required, and I know of a few people who made O-6 without ever moving (geographically - they certainly moved in terms of more responsible positions).

When I hear "city job" I think life long pension and health benefits. Is that the case in CO? If so did you take that into account? I don't know any consultants that offer retirement packages like the civil service jobs do.

RG, I say hang out at your current job for another couple of years. Based on what you've said, I see the potential for a lot of growth for you there. I get caught up looking at jobs sometimes, especially if there is one that keeps popping up time and time again like you mentioned. I've come to realize that I've got a damn good job and I would be hard pressed to find something better. Not to mention that I've learned over the years (don't tell my boss) that I'm probably overpaid.

Dleg, that would be a tough one. It would be hard enough to uproot and move to WA, but it would be even harder doing it knowing that you would be moving in again in at least 4 years. Not sure I could handle that, but I know a lot of people in my company that move with the construction jobs, so it can work for some people.

When I was in school I really just wanted a city job. I thought that the stability would be great and you would get some fatty retirement.

Now that I am a bit older and in the consulting world, I don't think that I could be anyone's punching bag at the city. The retirement benefits really dropped off for many municipalities since 2008, and pay has been stagnant since then as well. The pay increases that I have seen in the consulting world really makes a "city job" look not very pleasing as well.

I would agree with most here that you would reap better rewards staying put for now.

You'll never make fatty money in the government. Just a few weeks ago I met the city engineer for the city I live in--he was helping people load their leaves into dumpsters at a city park on a Saturday morning.

On the other hand, is a house in Breckenridge really what's going to make you happy? Or would you rather have more time to spend with your family, rather than conslutting?

i'd give consulting another year or two...see where you are then reevaluate. Government is nice for stability but there is no money or room to grow.

You are Correct – City / County jobs these days don’t offer what they used to in terms of pensions (some still do) For someone my age I won’t

really be staying 30 years so what I would basically have is a 403B (like a 401K). same as in Consulting – just usually governments don’t offer a “match” I think I get 2% or something match from the Company

My original plan was to do 2 years and then re-evaluate. I figure since the stress level of those County / City Management positions is high there is always turn over and opportunity. Some actually do pay well- If it wasn’t a long as commute I would be applying for the PW Director position that keeps getting advertised in Littleton, CO, the salary range is listed as $120K to $140K. I will hang xmas lights and empty the trash for that kind of money.

I guess my main thought is that if I can make (about) the same in a City Engineer or County Engineer position that I would make in Consulting then I might as well move back into the public sector at some point. Need one of them crystal balls..

& house in Breck (would be nice) but was mainly used as a point of financial reference.. My kids are nearing the end phase of living with me (less than 6 years for all three, one will be in College in 3 years, two will be in college in 4 years). Its hard to fathom until you have worked in one of those positions but a City Engineer / County Engineer . Public Works Director will put in more hours than we will in consulting. So I think the QOL / work balance is about the same. Either way we are going to look to move further out when kids get out of school and get something much cheaper than what we have now.

One thing I am enjoying is they (Atkins) have been very flexible with me, they know I have a shitty commute and they have encouraged me to work from home a day a week, work from home when it snows, etc. You actually cant get that with a government upper management position (for the most part). This week I have worked at Weld County 3 days, CO DOT Office 1 day, and today Is the only day I have actually been in my office..

Recently it has hit me that my kid will only be home for 9 more years. I will be at my job for many more than that, so I'm making more of an effort to take time off and hang with him.

Why am I saying this?

Because if the other job would give you more time at home and less stress, I'd say go for it. If Atkins is going to flex your schedule, stay.

Do you really like consulting? Or do you miss being in government? Go with your gut.

Oh, and whatever your wife says.

how come you guys think you're kids move out and aren't dependents anymore at 18 yo? I've got both at home now, 23 and 24yo. Of course the 24yo in just home from base for the holidays, the other one there's really no definitive end in sight. LOL

I can't really see dismantling my older son's bedroom. I hope he keeps coming home as much as he can.

It really makes the holidays merry.

Last edited by a moderator:
dependants for tax purposes or relying on you for room/board/etc? The yr i graduated was the year I stopped being a tax deduction for my parents. I only ever visited after that. My room stopped being my room during college.. they replaced my water bed with a smaller bed and took over my computer stand with theirs. the only thing at their house that would be considered mine is the inflatabed we keep there for when we visit and some old toys they kept for grandkids to play with. my sister however, even though she has her own apartment still has her old bed/dresser/closet full of stuff and tubs of her junk in the basement.

Back