I was notified this morning that I passed PE exam. Can I put 'P.E.' title on my signature block now?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think once you have a license number AND have passed the PE exam, you are a PE (in the state which you applied and sat for the exam). I will have the same dilemma; I took the PE exam in MN, however I live and work in WI. It happened that way because I live only 50 miles from Minneapolis, MN, but over 200 miles from Madison, WI. So immediately upon passing (still waiting, fingers crossed), I will have to send money to MN for my license number, then when I receive that, apply by commity to WI.
I'm surprised they wouldn't let you just proctor the exam. I took my WA exams in Eugene, OR, and I plan to do the same for my WA Structural since they aren't doing state-specific anymore. I would do the the same for the CA-specific exams, but I don't think they let you do that - so I'm going to see if I can fit it into a "vacation" wherein I hang out with friends I have in either San Diego or San Francisco.

^^ It's the same national exam.

Only CA offers/requires the two "bonus" exams for civil.

In CT, they issue you a number as soon as you are authorized to take the exam.
Therefore, now that I've passed, I will use the initials PE after my name immediately...

My very own PE-ness. Love it.
When I log in and check my name in CT it says the PE exam results are still pending?

How about for you?

Tim
Yup, still says pending because they are gonna send us a package in 60+/- days and we are gonna fill out more papers and pay more money before they turn it from "pending" to "active." But as far as I'm concerned, I'm a bonafide PE.

In a profession where mitigating liability and covering your backside is extremely important, my opinion is that the best thing to do is to wait until you either have online or physical documentation that you could provide to a (potential) client if they convey any smidget of doubt.

In Texas I can have the title of "Engineer" because I graduated from a CET/ABET accredited program and I work for a TBPE registered engineering firm. I read somewhere that the Texas legislature was debating whether or not to allow the title "Software Engineer" for programmers. I'm not sure how that one played out. I guess we're lax in some areas and tight in others.

In a profession where mitigating liability and covering your backside is extremely important, my opinion is that the best thing to do is to wait until you either have online or physical documentation that you could provide to a (potential) client if they convey any smidget of doubt.
In Texas I can have the title of "Engineer" because I graduated from a CET/ABET accredited program and I work for a TBPE registered engineering firm. I read somewhere that the Texas legislature was debating whether or not to allow the title "Software Engineer" for programmers. I'm not sure how that one played out. I guess we're lax in some areas and tight in others.
You can use "Engineer" on a business card or letterhead under those conditions, but you still can't say "Professional Engineer" or "Licensed Engineer"...Although, I'm not certain that the general public would know the difference.

You can use "Engineer" on a business card or letterhead under those conditions, but you still can't say "Professional Engineer" or "Licensed Engineer"...Although, I'm not certain that the general public would know the difference.
Not just the general public. I have a friend that calls herself an Engineer in her profile online - because her official title is "Technical Support Engineer". In fact, that's part of how we became friends - I saw her profile mention someone I knew, and saw the Engineer, and asked her what discipline...

Correct. One cannot legally claim to be a "Professional Engineer" or "Licensed Engineer" unless they have met all the requirements of the TBPE.

In CT, they issue you a number as soon as you are authorized to take the exam.
Therefore, now that I've passed, I will use the initials PE after my name immediately...

My very own PE-ness. Love it.
When I log in and check my name in CT it says the PE exam results are still pending?

How about for you?

Tim
Yup, still says pending because they are gonna send us a package in 60+/- days and we are gonna fill out more papers and pay more money before they turn it from "pending" to "active." But as far as I'm concerned, I'm a bonafide PE.
Okay- thanks for the reply-

I have been working a decade without the initials so another few months wont hurt- I am going wait.

I dont plan to stamp any drawings - it was more of a personal goal for me.

Good luck!

Tim

Back