I passed my PE exam, now what?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwNick

Reaction score
So I recently passed my electrical PE exam, and am kind of wondering what happens next. I live in Nebraska, and I read through the The Nebraska Engineers and Architects Regulation Act, which answered some questions but also raised some others. The first one is how to we obtain a stamp?  Is one provided to us by our state board or do we have to go get one made? My second and more complicated question is this: Nebraska appearantly requires "organizations" to obtain Certificates of Authorization. I don't think my office currently does this though. I work for a big company which does many things in the railroad industry, but our particular office in Nebraska works on railroad signaling plans. It's common for work to be done without a PE license, although rarely some states/sitatuations require it.

My 2 part question is this: 1. Should my employer already have a certificate of authorization? I really doubt we're out of line here, as we didn't have any PE's on staff, and like I said we don't do work that requires a PE stamp, and when we do we hire someone to review and stamp.

2. Does my employer need a certificate of authorization now that I'm the first PE in our office? I'm guessing yes, as the rules (shown below) state you need one if your organization "practices engineering in Nebraska", which I would think mean's if you have someone in your office stamping plans as a PE. I'm not sure though, can someone from Nebraska or someone read the rules below and help me out? I'm a noob I know!

Does my Organization Need a Certificate of Authorization?

Your organziation will need a Certificate of Authorization if it:

• Practices or offers to practice architecture and/or engineering in Nebraska,
  • Engages in design-build in Nebraska, or
  • Bills for architectural or engineering services pertaining to projects in Nebraska.
Your organization will not need a Certificate of Authorization if it:

• Is not a business entity created by law, including, but not limited to, a partnership, limited liabilty company, corporation, or joint venture;
  • Engages activities that result ONLY in non-customized manufactured or fabricated products which can then be specified by Nebraska-licensed architects or professional engineers; 
  • Is a "Public Service Provider," defined in Neb. Rev. Stat. § 81-3423 as "any political subdivision which appoints a municipal engineer or which employs a full-time person licensed under the Engineers and Architects Regulation Act who is in responsible charge of architectural or engineering work"; or
  • Engages in the practice of architecture or engineering only for itself.

Given the title of your thread, how about trying the "So I am a PE, what happens next?" forum?  ;)    

Back