how was survey exam (APR 2010)? easy....ok...hard

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hebz

Reaction score
again i was short on time to finisha ll problems...had to take guess on almost 10 of them...what you think will the cutscore be?...i am guessing 33-35

again i was short on time to finisha ll problems...had to take guess on almost 10 of them...what you think will the cutscore be?...i am guessing 33-35
The cut score for the surveying and seismic exams have usually been 60% and 50% respectively. If you think you got 35 correct answers in the surveying, then you probably passed.

The cut score for the surveying and seismic exams have usually been 60% and 50% respectively. If you think you got 35 correct answers in the surveying, then you probably passed.
I thought the surveying was a very fair exam. I knew how to do 40 problems (but that doesn't mean I got them right!). I studied the most and worked the most sample problems on surveying, so my performance on the seismic exam definitely suffered. The good news is that a cut score of 50% in seismic is really low. If that's the case, then I probably passed, because I felt like I knew how to do 30 or so of the problems. I heard both test's cut scores are approximately 60%. I guess I was misinformed.

I was certainly more rushed than on the general 8 hr exam, but I think that I was pretty confident on about 40 of the probs. For the most part I thought the test was pretty straightforward. It helped me to draw a lot of quick sketches, aside from that just knowing all the terminology and applicable trigonometry was probably enough to pass.

I thought the exam was a total mess, I got through it but there were so many calculations it was more of a test of time than survey knowledge

I thought the exam was a total mess, I got through it but there were so many calculations it was more of a test of time than survey knowledge
You can't say you weren't warned! :)

I was one of the many who took all 3 exams last October and my brain was mush midway through the surveying exam. It's very involved with calculations and you have no time to learn how to do the problem if you're not already familiar with it. Our PLS/PE guy at my company said that exam could easily be a 4 to 5 hour exam if you had time to think through the process.

I was warned but I would like to see them test on engineering. The way it is now you cannot build up much time with the easy problems since it will take a minute of so to read and respond, during the 8 hour you could gain 3-4 minutes but here less than 2 minutes. And alot more required calculations.

I think I passed both so I am done!!!!!!!!!!!!

Passssed.............I am PE now.... all done :party-smiley-048:

Back