Home brew Beer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably looking at 80-90-100F+ days here in the California central valley, I don't think my A/C (or my wallet!) can keep the temperatures cool enough for Kolsch (<---but soooo good!). Thanks for the suggestion, I should have started brewing in Jan-Feb, just got bogged down with studying.
Ahh true, british pale might be very forgiving of your temp constraints then... I've heard of people making kolschs up to high 60s before and they claim that they taste just fine... never done it myself though

I'm probably looking at 80-90-100F+ days here in the California central valley, I don't think my A/C (or my wallet!) can keep the temperatures cool enough for Kolsch (<---but soooo good!). Thanks for the suggestion, I should have started brewing in Jan-Feb, just got bogged down with studying.
time to invest in a fermentation chamber.

Our latest IPA came out a little flat and sweet.   Prob the temp was too low for the priming. Didn't do any bittering hops, citra in the whirl. 

Our latest IPA came out a little flat and sweet.   Prob the temp was too low for the priming. Didn't do any bittering hops, citra in the whirl. 
Was it a high gravity beer? Maybe you needed more O2 at pitching? Or just more time in the primary?

~8% abv.  It was kept too cool we think after bottling.   Was in the primary for quite a while.

yeah I can't recommend highly enough the need for pitching a whole bunch of healthy yeast (I make a starter for every batch I do regardless of gravity) and pure O2 when pitching... I have never had an issue with a beer not finishing out and most all fermentation flaws went away as well.

The bourbon barrel stout I'm *supposed* to be aging turned out excellent (I'm taking...strategic samples). The "bourbon barrel" aroma comes from oak wood chips soaked in Makers Mark. To my heathen palate...pretty good!
And what did the resultant ABV come out at?

~8% abv.  It was kept too cool we think after bottling.   Was in the primary for quite a while.
Yes, yes, yes. That explains the sweetness and flat beer. You were tasting the priming sugar. I originally miss read your first post on this. 

Anyone brew lemon shandy? I'm wondering how adding lemonade AND priming sugar to the bottling bucket will impact bottle conditioning. 

I don't know if that would happen. That's just what popped into my mind when you mentioned all that added sugar.

I think over carbonation is a concern. I guess I could figure out how much sugar is in the lemonade mix and adjust the priming sugar accordingly. 

Back