Home brew Beer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pale ale brewing on the left with crystal and amber malts. I used whatever spare grain I had laying around that needed to be used. Mostly Chinook, Warrior, and Simcoe hops with Safale S-04 yeast. Right hand side is a bourbon barrel stout. Kinda neat, the "barrel" flavor comes from oak chips tossed in during dry hopping for a few days.

View attachment 11027

Pale ale brewing on the left with crystal and amber malts. I used whatever spare grain I had laying around that needed to be used. Mostly Chinook, Warrior, and Simcoe hops with Safale S-04 yeast. Right hand side is a bourbon barrel stout. Kinda neat, the "barrel" flavor comes from oak chips tossed in during dry hopping for a few days.

View attachment 11027
I had never used the S-04 yeast until my last brew day, made a SMASH bitter and man did that thing take off. One of the most vigorous fermentations I've ever seen. It was a real hit to my liquid yeast snobbery

I found S-04 and S-05 to be good for almost everything. I honestly couldn't tell the difference with Wyeast or any other liquid yeast. Just as well, because the more I brewed the lazier I got!
Same here. 04 and 05 are really easy to use. 

Oh, and I have a pale ale in secondary that is being dry hopped with citra. This beer was brewed with citra, citra, and citra. I used safale-05.

Oh, and I have a pale ale in secondary that is being dry hopped with citra. This beer was brewed with citra, citra, and citra. I used safale-05.
Neat! Are you emulating an existing style or is this a home brewed homebrew recipe? That sounds like a great idea for a summer cooler. Should be ready right when it starts to get hot. I'm in the northern CA/central valley so it can get pretty toasty.

I like it! Sacrificing bathing for beer! Win-win. :thumbs:

Neat! Are you emulating an existing style or is this a home brewed homebrew recipe? That sounds like a great idea for a summer cooler. Should be ready right when it starts to get hot. I'm in the northern CA/central valley so it can get pretty toasty.
It's a clone of Zombie Dust by 3 Floyds Brewing. I bought it as a kit put together by morebeer.com. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I also buy from love2brew.com and northernbrewer.com. 

Bottled a 2.5 gallon batch of the Zombie Dust clone on Sunday. My bottle capper broke with 15 bottles left. Luckily my brother was home and I was able to swing by his house an borrow his. I'm now in the market for a bench top capper. 

I just don't want to buy another wing capper and have it break again. The bench top models seems much more durable. 

I'm looking forward to drinking a homebrew after you pass.  

I've had my benchtop capper for about 18 years! I wouldn't use a wing capper at all. Mine lives in a tupperware in the garage with all my other brewing equipment.

I've had my benchtop capper for about 18 years! I wouldn't use a wing capper at all. Mine lives in a tupperware in the garage with all my other brewing equipment.
What brand capper is it?

When was the last time you brewed?

Brewed last month (a chocolate cherry proter). I'm not sure what brand my capper is. It was part of a brewing kit my wife got me when I first started. Personally, I have moved to the Grolsch-style bottles. Takes away the time required for capping, and you can get more beer in the bottles.

bottle.jpg

Second half of the zombie dust clone.
72076514abe7bb836664c26c4ecc365a.jpg
aa7aca1810c701cf233e54f6eff82a0d.jpg

Back