Hobbies?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a homebrewer here. Haven't gone all-grain yet, but I'm enjoying the hobby and teaching others.

I think my wife likes this hobby better than my Fantasy/Sci-Fi Paper-n-Pencil Roleplaying and Magic:The Gathering stuff I used to do. I still get out and play that stuff with friends about once a month and of course the occasional video game.

I don't consider working around the house or cooking a hobby, but people seem to like what I do. I used to be really into electronic music, but that's a lot of work and money so I've dropped the hobby in favor of a family & mortgage.

I used to make model rockets when I was a kid. I think my dad enjoyed it more than I did as I hated cutting out things from balsa wood at that age with an exacto knife. The D-engines were cool. When I got to my teens I secretly made a shoulder mounted pipe-bazooka with the large engines and small projectiles for target practice. Only got a few shots off, but it gave me respect for fins and non-laminar air flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
VT: had some unexpected stuff come up. not sure I'll have time to look for any kits but I'll try.

How long does an all-grain batch take to brew? I can do an extract in shy of 3 hours including sanitization and post brew clean-up. I would like to try all-grain but not sure I want to spend all day brewing.

How long does an all-grain batch take to brew? I can do an extract in shy of 3 hours including sanitization and post brew clean-up. I would like to try all-grain but not sure I want to spend all day brewing.
Judging from how long it takes me to do a partial mash, I'd say an all-grain brew would take 5-hours from set-up to take down. What's stopping me is the brew kettle & burner I want to make the full boil possible. It's going to run me over $350. www.homebrewtalk.com is probably the best resource for further inquiry I've found (and get ready for 20,000 different opinions as well).

VTEnviro...if you got equipment to sell...(I think every environmental engineer homebrews).

VT: had some unexpected stuff come up. not sure I'll have time to look for any kits but I'll try.
No worries, hope everything is ok.

I would buy all my supplies on a Friday night to save time on that. I'd usually start sanitizing the first piece by 8 AM. Final cleanup was done by around 2 PM. I didn't have a high powered propane burner though, just my stovetop. Be warned, the mess is far worse than extract brewing.

Judging from how long it takes me to do a partial mash, I'd say an all-grain brew would take 5-hours from set-up to take down. What's stopping me is the brew kettle & burner I want to make the full boil possible. It's going to run me over $350. www.homebrewtalk.com is probably the best resource for further inquiry I've found (and get ready for 20,000 different opinions as well).

VTEnviro...if you got equipment to sell...(I think every environmental engineer homebrews).
I could be talked into it, I'm not even sure what kind of inventory I've got at this point. PM me if interested.

man....I LOVE those Estes rockets! I haven't thought of those in years. I had one that I put a LARGE C engine in, shot it off, and NEVER SAW IT again. I have no idea where it came down.

I actually still have one somewhere in my house, and I have a rocket launch pad...I may have to get drunk one night and shoot that off in the neighborhood. lol ohhhhh....maybe I need to start doing home brews as well.

I'll never forget how we built Estes rockets in middle school shop class. One kid built the "Fat Boy", but didn't want to spend the dough on the recommended engine size. He glued one of the A engines in it instead. It launched, hovered 4-5 feet in the air, plopped to the ground, and caught fire.

Who the F needs an engine. I propel my rockets the old fashioned way... I throw them.

5870c__rockets_estes__17245956_0a8d265896.jpg

Latest posts

Back