Hobbies?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cooking, kids, and occasionally running (soon to be more though, since I signed up for that race)...

and classic cars when we have the $$$($$$)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 11-month old, so not much time or money for hobbies... but when I did......

building/fixing PCs... I still find some time to fix other people's PCs every now and then... I have a few regulars that can't seem to figure out how to stay off the bad pr0n sites lol

games (PC and console)... typically strategy, a little RPG, and puzzle... I hate FPS games, but 3rd person slash and dash are fine, Prince of Persia, Diablo, etc... Big fan of the Sid Meiers and Chris Sawyers of the world... Civilization and the Roller Coaster Tycoon/Transportation/Locomotion games pretty much killed my social life growing up... Mrs OSU likes to watch some games, I just finished Fable 3 a few weeks ago, she enjoyed watching that, and the LEGO Indy I & II, Star Wars, Harry Potter games... She wasn't too impressed with Portal... I've been thinking about getting Portal 2...

games (board)... Monopoly and Risk (LOTR or the anniversary ed.) are about it... haven't played either for a looong time, 5 or 6 years...

and model trains... No layout, except under the xmas tree, but a crapton of B&O related engines and rolling stock... I used to keep up with everything, but I have about 5 minutes of clear thinking at the end of the day, and it usually revolves around figuring out how to get more sleep....

pinball / video arcades
REAL pinball? I used to love to play. Long time ago.
Real pinball. There are a few auctions a year in Texas and Kansas City for amusement machines. There is a small community of people who love them and many are for sale since Oklahoma recently tripled the tax for coin operated machines (aimed at keeping kids from drinking soda). Operators don't want to pay the tax so they remove the machines from location. They can be expensive and require maintenance along with repairs etc but if you have moderate mechanical aptitude and basic soldering skills that is enough.

Like I said, it was a long time ago, but I really used to play alot when I was in college. There were always 2 or 3 machines in the dorm lobby. I could bump the machine and get the ball to move without tilting. I could beat everybody except one guy who I never could beat.

I'm in the has-an-almost 2year-old-club, so don't have much time for it... but when there is free time- mtn biking, kayaking, rock climbing. I still make time for a little reading though. oh and drinking if that does in fact qualify as a hobby.

Coaching/playing sports with my son, mostly baseball. Trying to get back into shape running. Traveling to MLB stadiums around the country. So far I've been to: Royals, Cardinals, White Sox, Cubs, Rockies, Rangers, Astros, Padres, Angels, Dodgers, A's, (Devil, at the time) Rays, Marlins, Braves, Twins, Indians, Tigers, Red Sox...I think that's it. I'm hoping to hit Reds next month.

pinball / video arcades
REAL pinball? I used to love to play. Long time ago.
Real pinball. There are a few auctions a year in Texas and Kansas City for amusement machines. There is a small community of people who love them and many are for sale since Oklahoma recently tripled the tax for coin operated machines (aimed at keeping kids from drinking soda). Operators don't want to pay the tax so they remove the machines from location. They can be expensive and require maintenance along with repairs etc but if you have moderate mechanical aptitude and basic soldering skills that is enough.
There are a couple pinball arcades here in the St Louis area, usually a really big hit. The local beer club meets there once a year for pinball and beers. Its a BYO place, they have nothing but the machines, so there is a small corner where you put the coolers.

I got a pinball machine at my folks from the mid-70's. Needs a lot of work, but still turns on and most of the bumpers still operate.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=2156

Ever since mini-Kevo came into this world my hobby is napping.....

Woodworking, softball, poker, going to the park with the kiddos. Not much time to do anything else with the two kids (6 & 4yrs).

wrenching on my vehicles (more for the upgrades than true repairs); welding; hunting; fishing; canoeing; ham radio; camping; target shooting (gun & bow); general construction; some computer games when I have free time

What kinds of hobbies do most of you enjoy?
Personally, I like games. Computer games (MMORPG, strategy, FPS, simulation), console games (RPG, action games, puzzle games), board games (complex/unusual ones, like "Tales of the Arabian Nights" or "Orcs at the Gates"), pencil/paper RPG (D&D), and card games. Sites like this one, books (generally about 50-60 per year - mostly rereads though), movies & TV fill out what little there is of the rest of my downtime.
Have not seen Tales of the Arabian Nights or Orcs at the Gates. Please tell me you have not gone over to the dark side of D&D 4.
Nope. Haven't touched it, aside from looking over a friend's copy. Far too MMORPG-like for my tastes. I don't even have much of a 3.5 collection, and barely more of a 3.0. Most of my stuff is from Second Edition. Of the three, 3.5 is probably my favorite - though in honesty I haven't played D&D in at least 8 months; I just don't have the time to try to write adventures/outlines for an epic series of adventures, coordinate with friends, and have it all fall through at the last minute like it did the last time I tried.
I have about 84 rule books revolving around version 3 and 3.5 , the new version of 3.5 is called Pathfinder. Maybe you should look up some gaming conventions, you can find some body else to run the mods

Glad some of you guys mentioned softball...that's another one, although I haven't been able to play in a couple years now. Not many ball parks here. We usually do sand volleyball instead so I guess that's one of my new hobbies.

Latest posts

Back