History in the making...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought US Grant was a great president. I feel that I'm doing pretty well with a few Grants in my pocket...better than Washington, Lincoln, or Jackson.

I always thought US Grant was a great president. I feel that I'm doing pretty well with a few Grants in my pocket...better than Washington, Lincoln, or Jackson.
All of whom were upstaged by a heavy set balding man who was never even elected president.

All of whom were upstaged by a heavy set balding man who was never even elected president.
True. but other presidents have trumped him in the past.

The $500 bill featured a portrait of William McKinley

The $1,000 bill featured a portrait of Grover Cleveland

The $5,000 bill featured a portrait of James Madison

The $10,000 bill featured a portrait of Salmon P. Chase <--- how'd he get in here?

The $100,000 bill featured a portrait of Woodrow Wilson

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_denomin...States_currency

Having a Woodrow in my hand would give me a woody!

I thought that was only "play" $$? Do they even circulate anything bigger than a $1000 bill nowadays? Banks rarely even have $500 bills in their possession it seems.

I do believe that some level of military experience is critical to receive my vote for president.

Exception: Jimmy Carter

Having a Woodrow in my hand would give me a woody!
I thought that was only "play" $$? Do they even circulate anything bigger than a $1000 bill nowadays? Banks rarely even have $500 bills in their possession it seems.
nope.

from here:http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/currency/denominations.shtml#q1

What denominations of currency notes is the Treasury Department no longer printing?

On July 14, 1969, David M. Kennedy, the 60th Secretary of the Treasury, and officials at the Federal Reserve Board announced that they would immediately stop distributing currency in denominations of $500, $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000. Production of these denominations stopped during World War II. Their main purpose was for bank transfer payments. With the arrival of more secure transfer technologies, however, they were no longer needed for that purpose. While these notes are legal tender and may still be found in circulation today, the Federal Reserve Banks remove them from circulation and destroy them as they are received.

Some peolpe still have the larger bills in thier possession and they are still legal tender. I know a guy who was pretty successful in a small business that he started with assiatnce from his parents. As a thank you he wanted to get his mother a $500 bill. I recall he bought one off of a private party who had it stashed away. I believe he had to pay more than $500 for it and the seller was not the most savory character.

edit: I was curious and pretty easily found this on online.

$500 bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Salmon Chase was a former Secretary of the Treasury, so he's involved US currency in that sense. His homestead was a couple miles from where I used to live. Biked past it a million times.
I knew that smarty pants.

So, did you hang with him. Did he float you a couple $10k notes? $2 pints are on you.

edit: I was curious and pretty easily found this on online.$500 bill
One nice thing about these bills is that no matter what may happen to the prices of other collectibles, they are real money, and are never going to be worth less than their full face value.
That's fantastic that they will never lose more than 79% of your investment. You can wave it around saying "My $2375 investment is STILL worth full face value of $500!" And everybody will laugh at you because $500 will no longer buy a soft drink in a vending machine after this financial meltdown finishes up.

The $10,000 bill featured a portrait of Salmon P. Chase <--- how'd he get in here?source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_denomin...States_currency
Funny - we had this as a "trivia question" during an HR "team building" workshop yesterday. Nobody knew who he was. IIRC, he was the Sec. of the Treasury under Lincoln, a Supreme Court Justice, and something else important. So not just Sec Treas.

Benjamin Franklin wasn't ever a President, either, yet he's on the $50.... EDIT - $100 (Doh!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back