Happy F'in New Year

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the dog, I'm probably going to get a chocolate lab. It'll probably be more likely to give a burgler a sloppy kiss than bite his ass off, but the path of least resistance argument is what I'm going for.
That is my security system right now.

You would be surprised at how protective these dogs can be (in a good way). Growing up we had a flat coated retriever (basically a black golden). She never barked and was scared of everything. One night I was coming home from a friends house via hoping the backyard fence. It was dark and she happened to be outside. She started growling and barking until she realized it was me.

The other thing to keep in mind about dogs is their activity level. You should try to match the dog with your personal activity level. Hopefully you are an outdoorsy, high energy, type of person that can tire down the lab. There are a huge number of breeds out there suited for just about any lifestyle. It sucks when you have a dog that you love but has way too much energy for you. I used to have a beagle and I could never tire him out. My bullmastiff turned out to be perfect for me. A good website for research is dogster.com.

I've settled on the lab because my sister knows a guy that trains them to be hunting dogs for rich people. The rich people buy the whole litter and pay this guy to train them, then they take the top 1 or 2 dogs. The rest of the litter is highly trained, and available for free to this guy's friends and family.

The other thing to keep in mind about dogs is their activity level. You should try to match the dog with your personal activity level. Hopefully you are an outdoorsy, high energy, type of person that can tire down the lab. There are a huge number of breeds out there suited for just about any lifestyle. It sucks when you have a dog that you love but has way too much energy for you. I used to have a beagle and I could never tire him out. My bullmastiff turned out to be perfect for me. A good website for research is dogster.com.
Agreed. Breeds that have high energy requirements (labs, Shepherds, etc.) can get bored easily if not excercised regularly and when they get bored, they can get destructive.

Not ashamed at all. We go through a 40 lb bag of food every 3 weeks or so. He eats about 8 cups of food a day. I am surprised at how much methane he produces though.

I live in the burbs with a border collie, she does a great job of herding the kids around, but she is useless as a guard dog, she has kep the squirrels away from the bird feeders.

If i ever find myself living out in the open on some land I would either get a german shepard or a great dane to protect my stuff...

This is the thing that has been freaking me out. We live in a very expensive place where crime is basically non-existent. There is a little branch police station for the community about two blocks away. But our house is small and cramped because it is so expensive here, and my wife really wants to move to a larger place when my kid graduates in June, and to do that we’ll have to go down a bit in affluence for the area. I don’t know how you can research and find a place that is reasonably safe. I don’t think it is possible to find a place as safe as my current residence.

Benbo, Check out www.city-data.com They have compiled all of the pertinent data for any city in the country. They also have region specific forums which discuss individual sub-divisions and zip codes for each area. It was a big help back when my wife and I were discussing the option of moving to the Seattle/Tacoma area a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Benbo, Check out www.city-data.com They have compiled all of the pertinent data for any city in the country. They also have region specific forums which discuss individual sub-divisions and zip codes for each area. It was a big help back when my wife and I were discussing the option of moving to the Seattle/Tacoma area a couple of years ago.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

If i ever find myself living out in the open on some land I would either get a german shepard or a great dane to protect my stuff...
I grew up on a farm, and Danes were great alarm systems and surprisingly good with children.

my wifes aunt and uncle live on (no joke) 1000 acres in south georgia, they have about 4 great danes that roam the property, they are actually pretty friendly dogs, but if they suspect your up to no good your in trouble...

once I showed up late to a family event there and they all came up to my car and I didnt feel all that great trying to get out of the car to be honest.

The case detective just called me. Apparently, the responding officer filed the report as a Burglary in the 1st Degree which means either a gun was used in the commission of the crime or a gun was stolen. The former might be true, but the latter definitely isn't. But I'm glad he put that in the report so at least it gets a little more attention. The detective did confirm what I already suspected...I'm pretty much hosed unless one of the items turns up at a pawn shop.

well hopefully the report will help out with the insurance folks?

still sucks though man, sorry...

That blows...some kids broke into my explorer 2 years ago rummaged through everything everything out of my console including my cell phone, tossed all my Cd's in the floor left my 500 dollar golf clubs but ripped my ashtray out of the dash and broke part of the dash off for the whole 75 cents I had in it. Getting robbed sucks police dont seem to care either...

When you get paid as much (read: little) as they do, it's hard to care. I'm not saying it's right, but it happens.

Back