Fundraisers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one that gets me is that the local high school puts one team or band or group outside the local supermarket most of the day on Saturday, at both entrances no less.
The thing is, they just ask for cash, kinda like the old guy that sits on the bench a couple shops down asking for money for his first pint of scotch of the day. They're not selling or doing anything.

I think the folks that ran the athletic department at my wife's HS had the right idea, she ran track there. They would partner up with the town or a local business and do something like wash all the cars on the Toyota lot or set-up/cleanup after the local street festival. They helped someone out and did community service, but didn't have to solicit money from the general public.
school groups around here fight for the opportunity to clean out the stables after the state fair to earn $.

LOL - the two greatest proponents of libertarianism and charities over taxes in this board are both opposed to fundraising by private organizations for children's activities, with the exception of girl scout cookies.

I did a stint as PTA president in my son's pre-school and I was pretty lousy at it, because I just don't have the proper PTA fundraising mindset. My line of thought was that the budget the school system gave the PTA was good enough to do what we needed to do, so I didn't see the value in busting our ass on a fundraiser.

This year I got railroaded into being the treasurer of the elementary PTA. I hope I will be better at that since I don't have to come up with the fundraising ideas, only count the money and file the tax statements.

LOL - the two greatest proponents of libertarianism and charities over taxes in this board are both opposed to fundraising by private organizations for children's activities, with the exception of girl scout cookies.
I didn't say I was against fundraising. I just said that I don't buy any of that overpriced crap other than girl scout cookies. That's Capitalism...if I don't like the product or I don't like the price, I don't buy it.

This year I got railroaded into being the treasurer of the elementary PTA. I hope I will be better at that since I don't have to come up with the fundraising ideas, only count the money and file the tax statements.
Ugh, I got roped into being the treasurer of our HOA. What a lousy thankless job. I swear the treasurer is the only one that actually does anything. We have to set our 2011 budget, so I was pouring over financial statements last night. I F-ing hate accrual accounting!!!

I do like the bikini carwash fundraisers that local churches put on. Mainly because I think the irony is hilarious.

my kids school did a very brilliant (conservative thing) this year, they are doing no fund raising and only asked for people to make a donations.

the school received twice what it had ever received in the past with fundraisers, and most of the parents are happy campers...

I didn't say I was against fundraising. I just said that I don't buy any of that overpriced crap other than girl scout cookies. That's Capitalism...if I don't like the product or I don't like the price, I don't buy it.
It's fundraising not a clearance sale, of course the prices aren't going to be competitive. The mindset is that you get something for your donation. Ever been to a charity auction where the bid exceeds the stated value? It's a donation.

I do like the bikini carwash fundraisers that local churches put on. Mainly because I think the irony is hilarious.
Are you serious? I think that's hysterical.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fundraising not a clearance sale, of course the prices aren't going to be competitive. The mindset is that you get something for your donation. Ever been to a charity auction where the bid exceeeds the stated value? It's a donation.
I disagree. A company manufactures a product with a certain market value. They price their product above that value, and pitch it as a fundraiser item. They then add an additional mark-up that will become the donation to the cause. By the time I am asked to purchase it, it is grossly overpriced, and both I and the cause are getting shafted out of money. I choose to not condone that business practice by not buying the products. If I view the cause as a noble one, I will simply donate money to it outside of the fundraiser.

EXAMPLE:

A company manufactures/buys a roll of wrapping paper. They price it at $5, and put it in a fundraiser catalog at $10. If I buy that roll of wrapping paper, the cause gets $5, the company gets $5, and I get hosed. If I need wrapping paper, and want to support the cause in question, I can go buy a roll of wrapping paper for $1 at Walgreens and give $9 to the cause. I win, the cause wins, and the company with bad business practices loses.

You have an uncanny ability to skew what people say to fit your own preconceived notions. It's very frustrating posting anything serious because you're always 12 hours away from manipulating it.

With regards to my fundraising objections, I prefer to not purchase the overpriced Sally Foster crap because Sally Foster gets rich off of it when that money could have gone to the cause. I'm very much opposed to the United Way for the same reason. The director of the Atlanta United Way makes a 7 figure salary, I think that's immoral and distasteful. If people want me to donate money to a cause usually do it. For example, we have a friend adopting her third child from Russia. She buys lots of diapers when she's over there and brings lots of clothes for the children in the orphanage. It's a noble cause and I trust her so I gave her some money. Same thing with our church, I know where the money is going and I know they're not reaping some huge overhead percentage so I choose to donate. With my son's soccer league, they ask for donations to pay the registration for some of the less fortunate kids, I'm happy to contribute.

my kids school did a very brilliant (conservative thing) this year, they are doing no fund raising and only asked for people to make a donations.
the school received twice what it had ever received in the past with fundraisers, and most of the parents are happy campers...
Exactly

A company manufactures/buys a roll of wrapping paper. They price it at $5, and put it in a fundraiser catalog at $10. If I buy that roll of wrapping paper, the cause gets $5, the company gets $5, and I get hosed. If I need wrapping paper, and want to support the cause in question, I can go buy a roll of wrapping paper for $1 at Walgreens and give $9 to the cause. I win, the cause wins, and the company with bad business practices loses.
Not calling you out, or anyone for that matter. But the fact of the matter is that the majority of people who complain about fundraisers are the ones that won't do either of those scenarios.

Most people won't give money to a charity without something in return. Look at the operating costs of major charities. St. Jude spent $200mil last year for fundraising, the majority ($130 mil) in gifts, trinkets, pamplets, etc. for potential donors. Some people will hear that and be outraged, saying that's $200 million dollars that should have went to cancer research. Those are also by and large the same people that do not donate to St. Jude.

If you're truly offended at the cost of fundraisers, that's absolutely your right. But rarely do these kids get "You know, I'd rather just donate money". They usually just get a door in the face.

Sadly, in order for schools, teams, etc. to get even a little funding, they have to send the majority to these companies because generally people won't give without incentive.

It's fundraising not a clearance sale, of course the prices aren't going to be competitive. The mindset is that you get something for your donation. Ever been to a charity auction where the bid exceeeds the stated value? It's a donation.
I disagree. A company manufactures a product with a certain market value. They price their product above that value, and pitch it as a fundraiser item. They then add an additional mark-up that will become the donation to the cause. By the time I am asked to purchase it, it is grossly overpriced, and both I and the cause are getting shafted out of money. I choose to not condone that business practice by not buying the products. If I view the cause as a noble one, I will simply donate money to it outside of the fundraiser.

EXAMPLE:

Like I said it's not a clearance sale. The manufacturer is not donating the material to the cause, of course he wants a profit. You wrapping paper analogy is timely. Have you ever actually purchased thje wrapping paper from a fundraiser catalog? I have. It is my expereince that the paper provided by the fundraiser is much heavier and of a much better quality than the cheap bulk stuff at Walgreens. It also usually contains a much smaller quantity. If I selected a comparable product from Walgreens it would likely be comparable in price to the $5 that you use as a base. Agreed that the $5 for the cause is tacked onto the catalog price bringing the fundraiser cost to the consumer to $10.

The idea is that the individual gave $10 to support the cause and in rerturn for his donation gets the wrapping paper. Fundraising catalogs will never be competitive with the open market.

Lastly, I agree that for your $10 you could give $9 to the cause and buy your cheapie wallpaper, but what is the likelihood that you will actually do that? With a little kid standing there saying "Mr. will you buy some wrapping paper?" the average guy might just pony up on the spot and he gets wrapping paper to boot. You always have the option of saying, "kid keep the wrapping paper here's $10 for the scouts" but then you'll argue "frickin' kid will only pocket the $10 anyway" so you don't give anything. You win. They lose. child hater.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate children and charitable organizations. I am a greedy son-of-a-bitch that not only hates fundraisers, but also the causes they support.

There...might as well make it easier for you guys to put words in my mouth.

The director of the Atlanta United Way makes a 7 figure salary, I think that's immoral and distasteful.
I understand this somewhat, but what is his/her salary as a percentage of total donations? The guys that run these large nationally charities are extremely good at what they do. So much so that if they didn't work for these charities, some private industry would certainly employ them at this salary. You can't attract and keep the talent that is required for maintaining and expanding donations with a meager salary. Their skills/ability would command this salary in another industry. It's imperative that those in charge of these salaries are the best, because it's a difficult job to get people to part with their money for no return.

Seven figures for a local chapter seems high though. Going back to St. Jude, the CEO makes $425,000 per year salary. That's 0.05% of total gross revenue of $850 million.

If people want me to donate money to a cause usually do it.
That's great. I'm glad you do. Most people do not.

wow... I was just basically ranting about the turn my work as taken in regards to make widescale email announcements about individuals kids fundraising. Before it was a post it on your cube or by the coffee pot type of thing...now since they sent emails about one they are sending about them all.

On a related note, my 19 month old daughter is selling holographic cups with sports teams on them. I think they are $15 for three cups. Chances are you can't place them in a dishwasher. The holographic design is pretty bad for each team.

Wilheldp_PE, which team do you want, and how many?

:D

^-- agree with you big time on that one, i have seen people create a distribution list and want you to pass it around for them so they dont even have to do the work of talking to people..

only fundraising I do is cub scout popcorn, I hate doing it, I dont even bring it to work, I have told the boys if they want to sell it then put on the uniform and hit the neighborhood

Back