Food prices are crazy!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Paid $3.50 a pound for tomatoes yesterday. I could (and did) buy bacon, aka the candy of meats, for a buck less per pound.

A head of lettuce was two bucks!

It's nuts I tell you, nuts!

Paid $2.50 per freakin' pepper earlier this week.

I think it was $2.50/lb. just a few weeks ago, but this week, its PER PEPPER. WTF!

It's nuts I tell you, nuts!
Actually, it's vegetables!

:p
Nuts are veggies, aren't they? Always wondered about that.
I've wondered about that as well.

Do you have a garden in the summer? I know that saves us a lot of money when it comes to buying veggies.
I want to do tomatoes, cukes, and bell peppers this year. When i mention this, my wife rolls her eyes. A few years back i tried maters and the dang tree rats got into them.

But now we have Zinc, our emergency backup outdoor cat, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I usually find a package of baby tomatoes for $2.50 here, and buy 2 for the week. Last week, they were $3.99 each, and were moldy bu Tuesday after I bought them on Friday.

Red bell peppers are $2.99/lb here, yellow and orange were like $4.29 I think.

Produce is always more in the winter, and worse quality, but this year it sucks a sweaty one.

This is one of the hardest parts about trying to eat healthy. Look at what it costs to make food, vs. going to a fast food restaurant. You can feed a small army at Taco Bell for $5, vs. $15+ in ingredients to cook a single meal.

Other than a few things like canned veggies and a loaf of bread, all of our meals contain fresh produce and meats and very little processed, 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. We basically shop the perimeter of the store - Produce, meats, and dairy.

We regularly spend $160-$180, and have broken $200 a couple times. For two people. Not a family of 5 or anything.

This is one of the hardest parts about trying to eat healthy. Look at what it costs to make food, vs. going to a fast food restaurant. You can feed a small army at Taco Bell for $5, vs. $15+ in ingredients to cook a single meal.
+1

I told my mom that (she's in Canada) and she doesn't believe me. She thinks I am just lazy and don't want to cook for myself. It seriously costs a lot more cooking for myself than just grabbing something to eat.

In the last three years my wife has gone crazy growing and canning for our family of 5 and we still spend $150-180 week. I should also mention that she has become a professional couponer (she spends 4-6 hrs a week finding coupons she can use and has a 3" three ring binder she takes into kroger). She has canned tomatoes, pears, okra, green beans, cucmbers (4-5 kinds of pickels), apples, veg. stew, etc. We freeze deer meat, strawberries, brussel sprouts, corn (200-400 ears), okra and blackberries (the purple kind not the cell phone kind). I dont mean 3-4 cans. we have a couple hundred jars of stuff in the pantry and at the begining of winter two freezers full of food we have grown or overflow from friends gardens. I cant imagine what it would cost to feed my little tazmanian devils if she wasnt so diligent at stock piling food.

I should also mention that she has become a professional couponer (she spends 4-6 hrs a week finding coupons she can use and has a 3" three ring binder she takes into kroger). \
I saw a show about that on Discovery or something the other day. These people would buy $2000 or $3000 worth of groceries, and pay about $50. It's ridiculous. They also had a stockpile of canned goods, cereal, condiments, health & beauty products, and other non-perishables.

I really dont understand why produce is so expensive here in California, it's frickin grown right here. All they have to do is pull it out of the ground, wash it (maybe) and throw it in a truck to go about a mile.

You pay for quality though. You can buy some pretty cheap stuff at the grocery store and feed yourself at home for less than fast food, i.e. Ramen noodles.

You can't eat quality food for fast food prices.

You pay for quality though. You can buy some pretty cheap stuff at the grocery store and feed yourself at home for less than fast food, i.e. Ramen noodles.

You can't talk about quality of food, then mention ramen noodles.

The argument was put forth that it was cheaper to eat fast food (which i consider low-quality) then buying food at the store and preparing it at home. I was providing an example of low-quality food that could be acquired for less than fast food and prepared at home.

I think the food most people buy at the store, especially fresh produce, is of superior quality to fast food and thus would cost more. By shopping the sales my wife and I are able to feed ourselves pretty well for $60-$70 a week. That's less than eating fast food for every meal.

Last edited by a moderator:

The argument was put forth that it was cheaper to eat fast food (which i consider low-quality) then buying food at the store and preparing it at home. I was providing an example of low-quality food that could be acquired for less than fast food and prepared at home.
Ah I see now

Back