Food prices are crazy!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as I complain about the prices, we I pay less for food as a percentage of my income and have a more steady supply of food than at least 80% of the people on the planet.

That's a sobering thought.

I still have a hard time believeing you can buy meat for less $/lb than veggies!

^If I hit it just right, I can get great deals on meat. If there's a bunch of meat about to hit the pull date, the store I shop at slashes the prices to get it to move. We either eat it that day or freeze it.

I've gotten some of the more expensive cuts of meat for $2.99/lb.

Fresh produce in the winter is nuts with respects to the price. $1.38 for a single avocado or green pepper. Although quality regardless of price is the problem i face more often. the local stores are charging full price for overripe stuff that other stores would have already taken off the shelf as waste.

as far as meat goes, I have a hard time spending the $ on bad cuts of meat. i'm sorry if I am going to eat a steak I want a cut that is 1-1.5 inchs think, not a 0.5in or less. same thing for pork. I understand rural families can be large and they cut it thinner to get more out of the poundage, but sell the thick stuff too!!!!!!!! most of the meat is all fatty.

I don't know if it is just a midwest thing, but have to seen the size of the boneless skinless chicken breasts!!!!! They are huge...one could feed two people...and they don't taste very good either. Must be feeding the chicken growth horomones or something.

they have signs at stores around here that due to a mid western freeze tomatos are in short supply...

I need to look into the coupon thing, the grocery store is killing us right now, I bet we spend $300 / week feeding a family of 5, and while I enjoy a taco bell lunch, the wife doesnt like to eat that stuff, good for me in the long run though

I do the coupon thing when I can find them. But I',m not going to spend $1.75 to get the sunday paper where the paper coupons are to get less than that in coupons. The funny pages are the only thing i read in a sunday paper. I raid the sunday paper at my folks house when we visit, but most are like $1 off when you buy 2 or 3 of something. even then most of the stuff is not anything we would buy in the first place.

I have noticed the expiration dates on the coupons have gotten shorter and shorter, only good for two weeks.

I saw one of those news stories about the coupon crazy people, but whenI go through the paper ,I dont see many coupons that we actually use, or they are for higher priced stuff we wouldnt normally buy anyway..

I hate wal mart, but lately we try and get everything but meat and produce from the wal mart, then go to publix for the meat / produce..

We're busy, and don't have hours to waste sifting through every newspaper and add in town so save 49 cents on a can if corn.

If it's not something my bonus card gets me, I usually don't get it.

Mrs. Ble does the couponing thing and she does a good job at it too. The time you really save money is when the stores have super double coupons. That's when they double the value of coupons up to $1.99. So if you have a $1.50 coupon for a bag of chips that cost $3, they're free. I'm just glad she deals with it so I don't have to.

My wife tried the couponing thing for a month or so and just found it to time consuming. We do shop the sales though. Each week I'll go through the grocery circulars for the two of the major grocery chains in the area and list out what's on sale at each (I have a spreadsheet). My wife will go through that list and use it to make a menu for the week and divvy up a shopping list for each of us. She'll go to one chain and I'll go to the other on our way home from work one day a week, and we are done. We do occasionally have to stop by a store during the week to pick up milk or something. Going to the store with a plan makes shopping a whole lot quicker and cheaper though.

My wife tried the couponing thing for a month or so and just found it to time consuming. We do shop the sales though. Each week I'll go through the grocery circulars for the two of the major grocery chains in the area and list out what's on sale at each (I have a spreadsheet). My wife will go through that list and use it to make a menu for the week and divvy up a shopping list for each of us. She'll go to one chain and I'll go to the other on our way home from work one day a week, and we are done. We do occasionally have to stop by a store during the week to pick up milk or something. Going to the store with a plan makes shopping a whole lot quicker and cheaper though.
if only i had a husband that thought that way. Mr snick prefers to have a selection in the house so we can choose that night what we have a taste for.

My wife coupons and saves us about 10% at the grocery store. Usually on bathroom supplies or canned goods.

But like others we typically shop the outside of the store where coupons don't apply. I also eat alot of meat (2 lbs/day) and eggs (30/wk) which doesn't help our bill. We started buying our meat at Sam's for quality. I prefer sirloin steak and I can get (4) 1-lb steaks @3.99/lb or my wife will buy pork roast/tenderloin for fairly cheap and it looks 10x better than what we get at Kroger/Walmart.

if only i had a husband that thought that way. Mr snick prefers to have a selection in the house so we can choose that night what we have a taste for.
We do the weekly list of recpies too. We pick stuff that will make leftovers on the weekend, then one or two quick things after work during the week.

We somehow manage never to remember to pick out weekend lunches, and I end up staring at the aisles at the Stop & Shop blankly every Saturday.

NERD ALERT!

We do the weekly menu thing, for every day. We cook enough to have leftovers, which my wife and I use for lunches. My wife does the coupon clipping, and does a really good job of getting things that are on sale with the bonus card anyway. She usually saves anywhere from $30 to $50 per trip.

Paid $3.50 a pound for tomatoes yesterday. I could (and did) buy bacon, aka the candy of meats, for a buck less per pound.
A head of lettuce was two bucks!

It's nuts I tell you, nuts!

Last week I stopped at the Burger King here in central Michigan and tomato was "by request only." They said they didn't have many... and the ones they had were substandard.

Last week I stopped at the Burger King here in central Michigan and tomato was "by request only." They said they didn't have many... and the ones they had were substandard.
How bad do they have to be to be considered substandard for a Burger King? :eek:hmy:

Back