Food prices are crazy!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maters were four bucks a pound at Wally World. So was squash.

Can't wait for the local farmer's market to open.

NY Strip was twelve bucks a pound at Reid's. Last time I bought it, in May, I think, it was eight bucks a pound.

weve been going through our finances lately and it seems that Food and Gas are killing us!

With a family of 5 we easily spend $250/week on groceries (and some most times more)

I took a walk through an Aldi and they do have the staples like pasta, cereal a little cheaper,but the people shopiing there tend to freek me out a little, most look like they should be in the back of a police car.. and the one i tried out had one clerk open and a lot of people in line.. wasnt pleasant..

I hate Wal Mart but we are trying to the majority of the shopping there (except for chicken, hamburger meat, etc) but its another place I just hate to go to..

Anyone found any clever ideas? We try and hit Kroger for all other products so we can get the gas discounts, I think you get .10/gallon discount for every $100 you spend

Have you done the coupon thing yet? Key is to find the stores that will offer the "triple" coupons and accept those from other stores. How about buying in bulk? Costco, etc.

^This. Mrs. ble does a great job hitting up Harris Teeter since they always double coupons up to $0.99 and every once in a while they will double up to $2 or triple up to $.99 I believe. She also shops at CVS and Walgreens and is often getting razors, body wash, shampoo, etc for almost free. It does take time, though.

A year ago I could get out of walmart spending $100 or less a week for 3people ...now if I'm lucky it is at least $160 a week.

The aldi here is decent for some things but is a pain to shop at because it is cash or debit only. I never usually carry cash and I stopped using debit this year because they started charging $5/month fee to use the debit feature.

The IGA in town is expensive unless the item is on sale that week and the selection is limited for household items like soaps, paper products etc... so walmart is the default shopping destination unless I have the time to stop by work which lately hasn't happened.

The gas station by work that did that kroger promotion just stopped that program.

When you live by yourself, Costco is overkill.

I just try to do the typical stuff. Buy the produce that's on sale, get meat in the cheaper/lb bulk packages and separate it into portions before freezing it, do a lot of pasta and vegetarian meals, scrambled eggs or a cold cut sandwich for dinner, etc.

I'm still trying to get used to shopping for one. I still end up throwing out or feeding to the dog far more than I wish I did.

The gas station by work that did that kroger promotion just stopped that program.
I have the Price Chopper/Sunoco promotion card, it saves me a bit on gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coupons.com is where i have luck finding good coupons. Although it is hit or miss sometimes. There are weeks when I have almost $10 in coupons and other times when I find nothing that we use.

When you live by yourself, Costco is overkill.

I just try to do the typical stuff. Buy the produce that's on sale, get meat in the cheaper/lb bulk packages and separate it into portions before freezing it, do a lot of pasta and vegetarian meals, scrambled eggs or a cold cut sandwich for dinner, etc.

I'm still trying to get used to shopping for one. I still end up throwing out or feeding to the dog far more than I wish I did.
heck even for 3 people Sam's, no costcos around here, is overkill and not always cheaper. We only have a membership because it is cheaper to pay the membership fee and the cost of my allergy meds than to buy my allergy meds from somewhere else. Anything else we buy is just bonus.

We buy our paper products and meat at Sams. Meat is better quality than the Kroger/Walmart here and cheaper. Just two of us. Break it up and freeze when we get home.

We buy the bulk of our food/items at Walmart.

We buy our produce/dairy products at Kroger.

We buy a couple of items at Aldi's.

I think I posted this in another thread but we did a farm share this year which cut down our grocery bill considerably. It was pretty interesting to see how much we were actually spending on eggs, fruits, and vegetables. After doing it for an entire summer, we also learned that you can do meat shares where you can get farm fresh cuts of meat. Haven't compared prices on that just yet but if it's anything like the vegetable farm share we did, our grocery bill will just get even cheaper.

we do get meat from costco on occasion but that place is a nightmare to shop at (unless your a stay at home parent and can go during the day)

thats basically the only thing we buy from costco, I dont see where you really get a huge savings on much of anything to be honest..

I cant ever seem to find any decent coupons whenever I buy the paper, I guess I need to put forth more of an effort..

I am still getting free tomatos out of the back yard, but thats probably going to end in another week or so :(

At Kroger, the more coupons you use, the more they send. They customize coupons based on your shopping trends (per value card usage) which is big brother watching over us, but the savings are cool.

We only buy meats that are less than three bucks a pound. We also did a garden this year and shopped at the local farmer's market for veggies (which is much cheaper than in the grocery store).

I try to hit Save-a-Lot for milk and ground beef, and whatever else they have on sale that we use.

weve been going through our finances lately...
Same story here, but it's just two of us. We are averaging 500+ a month on food compared to 400 last year.

The IGA in town is expensive unless the item is on sale...
In college we had an Igga, I was starring at the meat cooler and the butcher asked if I needed some help. I told her I wanted a good cut but didn't know what I was looking for and wanted to keep it cheep. She dug down into the case in the far back corner and pulled out her stash. It was a NY strip, marked WAY down as it was going green. She said don't let the color deceive you, this will be the best steak you've ever had as the "age" makes it more tender. She said she had it back there cause she was going to take it home that night if it didn't sell. Sneaky butchers'es. No joke it was an awesome meal. Now I always look for the 75% stickers but never seam to find a deal like that one. Moral: while in an IGA, dig through the meat section.

Back