Florida PE's

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just called the FBPE ( :violin: ) and actually got to speak with Brian Lynch, the exam coordinator/licensure technician (what the fuck does he do all day?).  Anyways I asked him when they expect to be mailing out our wall certificates and he said by the end of this week or early next week.  Bastards  :whatever:  :brick:
LMFAO!!!!! :rotfl:

Last edited:
This is for the Florida P.E.'s or anyone else that can help.

Have you guys decided what to do for side work? Become a S-corp? Become a DBA, rleon82, P.E.? LLC looks like too much work.

I looked in to the liability insurance, there are tons of forms to fill out. They ask about my billables for the last 3-5 years. I am just starting out, there are no billables yet. Anyone have experience with acuiring the Liability insurance?

Thanks for the help,

rleon82

it looks like they are drawing evey and each certificate by hand :whatever:
Here they are hard at work...

41200766_6b1c2059bc.jpg

R.....my first call would be to the Board and talk to someone there regarding the liability insurance. I think I'll be registering as Nsearch, PE.

Rleon,

If you don't mind me asking. Do you have any jobs lined up. And if so, how are you marketing your services. Just curios.

I like your enthusiasm of going for it, after all it's taken some time. I almost feel as though I have been lulled to sleep, and need to wake up MYself.

I was talking with a couple friend of mine and they carry only errors and omissions' insurance... what do you guys think? :dunno:

I have been talking with my State Farm Rep about liability insurance. She told me the E&O and liablity policies will be one in the same. She is still working on it, but she said the premium will be about $800 - $1000 per year with a coverage of $250,000. This is based on less than $50,000 per year in billables.

I think it is EXTREMELY important for us as engineers to get this insurance. If anything ever happened, your fault or not, everyone gets sued. At least with one of these policies, someone will pay for the defense. Otherwise, you have to hire an attorney just to get the damn thing thrown out. I know someone that spent $30,000 in attorney's fees just to hav ethe judge dismiss the case outright at the first hearing.

I like the sound of only $800-$1000 for the E/O insurance. I will have to call my agent.

I know someone that spent $30,000 in attorney's fees just to hav ethe judge dismiss the case outright at the first hearing.
Lawyers ran away with it all. Man they get paid win, lose or draw! IT should be losing attorney pays the other guy's fees!

I know of a local job where the HVAC isn't working quite right. I don't know all the details, but I think everyone involved is getting sucked into it- engineers, contractors, equipment suplliers, test and balance companies, etc...

The insurance is very important.

Ed

You would only want this insurance (E and O) if you're doing work on the side under your name just to clarify for some.

w/ regards to loosing a home to a 500 bock's job, my lawyer advised me to put all my stuff in a trust fund to my kids/wife's name so they don't go after me if anything ever happens. The thing is that, after they sue your (own) company (as a separate entity), in FL they can go after the PE that signed, regardless if you work for yourself or for someone else's firm, and there's where they can get everything you got. Now, some companies will defend you if you get personally sued, after the case against the company was dismissed or settled, but some companyes will let you dry out there. Check with your company's policies, you may be surprised.

we should open a new tread on tips and advise about opening your own company, I believe we can learn a lot from eachother.

I have a former coworker that has been in the business for the last 25 years. He needs a design professional to Sign and Seal all his work. He used to work for my former boss but now that our former boss is gone to bigger and better things, the former coworker needs my certification capabilities.

The work finds him and he needs me. It is a great system, he does the majority of the work, I review it, Certify it, then split the fees with him. That is a great deal.

This is all done on the side, I am too busy with my current employer to do anything else.

Hopefully that was not too confusing.

Rleon, out.

Checked the mialbox at lunch today, no wall certificate. I guess the State had to order a new box of crayons.

Latest posts

Back