Florida PE's

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it doesnt sound any different than if a the PM stamps work that was done under his supervision by another person. like at any different company in the US.

Joe PM supervises a project, does very little work on it(other than budget)

John - Senior Projeect Engineer does 50% of the work & 95 % of QA/QC

Jack the Intern does the remaining 50% of work

Joe stamps it. Just because they all work at the same company doesnt mean that Joe really reviews it any more than if it was two people collaborating together to make some money.

Does Mike work for the Florida Board? :wtf:
Nah. Believe it or not, I was reading this thread the other day and I saw what you were planning on doing and I just thought I would offer the wisdom of a gray hair old man. :true:

Kind of like Obi Wan and Luke Skywalker..... :D

it doesnt sound any different than if a the PM stamps work that was done under his supervision by another person. like at any different company in the US.
Joe PM supervises a project, does very little work on it(other than budget)

John - Senior Projeect Engineer does 50% of the work & 95 % of QA/QC

Jack the Intern does the remaining 50% of work

Joe stamps it.  Just because they all work at the same company doesnt mean that Joe really reviews it any more than if it was two people collaborating together to make some money.
I think it is different. In your scenario, Joe PM probably wrote the proposal, was at the kickoff meeting, and has a much better chance of knowing what went on during the day-to-day design than someone who picks up a set of plans and calcs at the end and checks them. IMHO.

Kind of like Obi Wan and Luke Skywalker..... 
I totally want to sign off on a set of Death Star plans.

"Yeah Palpatine, I know you want to conquer the galaxy, but have you checked your fixture count? Where's a stormtrooper supposed to take a leak on his lunch break?

I'm sorry big fella, I just can't sign off on this. You'll have to settle for terrorizing the rebels for another week. :true: "

I see, so in order for the prez to sign an executive bill into law, he must first consider if he has truly been involved with all of the considerations?

That's debateable.

Let's be real. How is a measely little P.E. ever going to make a $ if he works with his tail between his legs. A real leader is always accountable. Yet that certainly doesn't mean he doesn't delegate assignments based on his own professional judgment of individual team members skills. Even then, he reviews the delegated work with quality assurance and control measures.

Some engineers are control freaks. That's fine. But if you want to make any money, you might someday realize there are other talented people in this world who can assist with your goals.

The more you can stamp, the more you can make. So get busy stamping and get off that high horse of feeling like making money is unethical. This is still america, land of opportunity. Stamp , Sign & Seal those plans once your sure the plans are accurate. Unless you want to continue being a troll working for the big dog. Remember this, the big dog was once a small pup. You have to decide if your cut out to be a big dog or just another mut in the kennel.

yes, but it give the 'authority' the loop hole they need to make you the scapegoat when something goes wrong. CYA.

Thanks for putting the fear of God into me. I will only S/S Drainage project that I directly supervised and designed.

If my "sidework" friend needs my certification, he must give me a book on all his calculations and explain the project as if I designed it from scratch.

Hence I am put on the stand and questioned about reasonable charge.

I'm not even sure where to start with this........

I see, so in order for the prez to sign an executive bill into law, he must first consider if he has truly been involved with all of the considerations?
Yeah, that's exactly what I said and there is absolutely no difference between Joe Engineer stamping a retaining wall design and Federal Government passing a law..... Please......

Let's be real.  How is a measely little P.E. ever going to make a $ if he works with his tail between his legs.  A real leader is always accountable.  Yet that certainly doesn't mean he doesn't delegate assignments based on his own professional judgment of individual team members skills.  Even then, he reviews the delegated work with quality assurance and control measures. 
You are correct. This is how it is supposed to work. This; however, is not germane to the conversation because we are talking about having no involvement in the project (no delegating, no day-to-day review), just reviewing and stamping drawings at the end without possibly even ever hearing about the project until that point.

Some engineers are control freaks.  That's fine.  But if you want to make any money, you might someday realize there are other talented people in this world who can assist with your goals.
Have absolutely no idea what your point is here.

The more you can stamp, the more you can make.  So get busy stamping and get off that high horse of feeling like making money is unethical.  This is still america, land of opportunity.  Stamp , Sign & Seal those plans once your sure the plans are accurate.  Unless you want to continue being a troll working for the big dog.  Remember this, the big dog was once a small pup. You have to decide if your cut out to be a big dog or just another mut in the kennel.
With this attitude, I'm sure you will go far! Good luck with that.......

Look. All I'm saying is follow the rules. If someone wants you to stamp their drawings on the side, fine. But be involved from the beginning before they start the project. And build in a couple reviews during the project, so in the end, if there's a problem and it ever goes to court, you can truthfully say you followed the rules.

"Look. It's about the rules. And without the rules we might as well all be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other." - Red Forman

"Look. It's about the rules. And without the rules we might as well all be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other." - Red Forman
Hahaha, I love That 70's Show! Quality reference.

I can picture Red as an engineer...

The only thing that's gonna be stamped around here is your ass with my foot! :angry:

I prolly shouldn't joke around like that, but I just had too. You were coming across to serious for me.

Hope you realize I was just being a smart ass, kind of fun.

Kick back and have a :drunk:

This site RoCkS ;guns;

Just got an e-mail from FBPR and the "packets" were mailed out yesterday (8/16) and this morning. Later.

Just got an e-mail from FBPR and the "packets" were mailed out yesterday (8/16) and this morning. Later.
Thanks heidenAR....and :violin: to the FB. Maybe some of us will get them tomorrow? Man, that would be sweet.

Latest posts

Back