Failed the PE 3rd time TX- testing out of state?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I passed on my 5th attempt.. School of PE saved my butt.. awesome and it def targets the am session. Test masters has great material too! Do NOT quit! I had a slight heart attack (blockage in right coronary artery) in Mar 2014.. took exam in fall of that year and crushed it. I was 61 at the time. Work hard and be faithful to your coursework,
Rudy
Wow, good for you!
That’s motivational. I appreciate your motivation and kind words. I’m sorry for your heart blockage
I have followed this thread for 3 weeks. Let me provide insight that is missing. There is NO NEED to continue to take the test and HOPE that you will pass. There is NO NEED to try and find some other state to take the test if you have busted it 3X in one jurisdiction-- that remains pure stupidity. Obviously, if you don't know the test material, you will fail-- continue to pay money and "try" again either shows that you have lots of money or something different is going to happen. Obviously, the only thing that has happened is your bank account is smaller and you continue to fail.

OK-- so how do you solve the problem? You really have to know and understand the material on the test specification. You have to know and understand it-- all of it. This is one time that you have to know the material, and understand what is being asked. You cannot try to memorize and dump-- you have to really know what they are asking. If you don't know the material, yes, you will fail. So, how do you know the material? Really study and understand each item in the test specification-- no, don't memorize something-- know how to analyze and apply the concept being tested. After all, you are being licensed to protect the public safety, health and welfare. We don't want someone who fails to understand that.

This is a bachelor's level examination. No, you don't need a graduate degree to pass the test. In some cases, a graduate degree can be a detriment-- this is a bachelor's level exam to determine minimum competency of your engineering skills. If you got through college with a "pump and dump" philosophy, i.e., memorize the material for the test, take the test and then dump it-- you will not be successful on this exam-- pure and simple. You have to know and understand each concept identified in the test specification, how to work the problem and then do it.

A good review course is well worth the money. What is good? I don't know-- check around and find something that others seem to like and go for it. If you do a review course, you really need to invest the time and material to understand each question and concept.

The PE test is not impossible-- however it is designed to test minimal competency of the candidate. Yes, you can do this and NO, you don't need to take the test 5X to pass-- your mindset and mind carrot should be "1 and done." Really know and understand each item on the test specification, understand what is being tested and know that material.

Screwing around seeking another state to take the test in just to pass the test is wasting time you could be studying. Yes, it is unfortunate that you took the test 3 times and did not pass-- however, if you know the material on the test specification, understand what it is and how to use it, you will pass with flying colors.

This post is much more crisp than others. However, it is frustrating for me to see folks continue to struggle when that is not needed.

Yes, I was 55 when I took the test-- I had been in senior management for 30 years-- I did take a review course and spent 3 hours every afternoon 6 days a week working problems on the kitchen table. Yes, I was just as spooked and scared when I finished the exam, thinking that I had failed as well. No, I passed and kept going, using the "1 and done" philosophy. You can do this-- really study the test specification-- know that material and go for it
I was not trying to take the test in a different state hoping I’d pass it without working for it. I just didn’t want to wait a whole year and forget the material that I have been studying for the past 5 months.
I have a BS in civil engineering and have been working using my degree for the past 4 years. I don’t think I would’ve been able to get my degree with the “ pump & dump” method because I needed to understand the concepts to be able to get into other classes that were built on that foundation.

Yes I was considering a different state, no I wasn’t planning on taking it right away.
I wanted to study and actually pass.
I hope you really do know how hard I’ve studied, watched lectures and practiced. I was like yourself putting 4-6 hours a day and weekends to study with a full time job and a baby.

Thank you for your advice, I will take more time understanding the concepts better and all the specifications given to me on the exam.

It could be the difference of a pass fail if they did in fact count and they had them all correct. Someone who answered 50/70 correct would have 71.43%. If you assume the 10 questions counted and all were correct, they would have scored 60/80 which is 75%. Working in NJ, I also have a Professional Planners license which I had to take the exam twice to get my license. The 1st time I failed, it was only 2 or 3 questions that I failed by. So not scoring 10 questions could affect someone who was on the fence

I did not feel pressed on time nor did I feel like I was unprepared. I was able to answer 23/35 confidently (or thought they’re correct because the answer was there) and the other 12 I answered but was on the fence about. I finished the first part in almost 3.5 hours and didn’t take the whole lunch.
the afternoon, I was able to answer 37/45 the other 8 questions I didnt know how to do them.
But I guess my confidence and knowledge weren’t enough to answer the correct answer.
I appreciate your thoughts and I felt exactly the same.

Wow, good for you!
That’s motivational. I appreciate your motivation and kind words. I’m sorry for your heart blockage

I was not trying to take the test in a different state hoping I’d pass it without working for it. I just didn’t want to wait a whole year and forget the material that I have been studying for the past 5 months.
I have a BS in civil engineering and have been working using my degree for the past 4 years. I don’t think I would’ve been able to get my degree with the “ pump & dump” method because I needed to understand the concepts to be able to get into other classes that were built on that foundation.

Yes I was considering a different state, no I wasn’t planning on taking it right away.
I wanted to study and actually pass.
I hope you really do know how hard I’ve studied, watched lectures and practiced. I was like yourself putting 4-6 hours a day and weekends to study with a full time job and a baby.

Thank you for your advice, I will take more time understanding the concepts better and all the specifications given to me on the exam.
Once again I agree with you youngandmotivated. Wingnut may have been a little too hard in assuming that everyone should be able to succeed at something your first time just because Wingnut did later in age as an executive and a manager. Life situations are not always equal.

Last edited:
Back