Resident, EIT in PA. PE test out of state (MD,NJ) before PA PE time requirement. PA via comity after time requirement?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acs118

Reaction score
Have searched quite a bit and messaged some other users without success.

I am a resident of and received my EIT certification is Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania requires 4 years of work under a PE after the EIT is established before allowing you to sit for the PE exam. I do a lot of work in NJ. If I were to pass the PE exam in NJ before the 4 year requirement from PA, would I be able to obtain a PE license in PA via comity later on after the 4 year period is met?
Does any PA resident have direct experience with this scenario? I came across a handful of similar posts but none had the answer I'm ultimately looking for. Thanks!

Have searched quite a bit and messaged some other users without success.

I am a resident of and received my EIT certification is Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania requires 4 years of work under a PE after the EIT is established before allowing you to sit for the PE exam. I do a lot of work in NJ. If I were to pass the PE exam in NJ before the 4 year requirement from PA, would I be able to obtain a PE license in PA via comity later on after the 4 year period is met?
Does any PA resident have direct experience with this scenario? I came across a handful of similar posts but none had the answer I'm ultimately looking for. Thanks!
I actually am in the same situation. I reached out to the board to confirm. They will not approve your PA PE license until you have the 4 years after your EIT even if you have a license in another state. You can apply but they won't approve it until after the 4 years.

@MRF Thanks for the reply.
I understand that they will not approve the PA PE license until after you have the 4 years after your EIT.... my question is, will the PA board approve the license without any issue even though you took the test before the 4 years in another state --> retake the test after 4 years after EIT? etc. Thanks

They don't have a problem with taking your license early so you wouldn't need to take the test again. They just won't give you your PA license even through reciprocity without having the 4 years from your EIT issuance. It's not even the time of your test which makes it even worse. The one thing I'm not sure of is if say you are at 3 years 9 months and send in your application, will they just deny it or just hold it until you have your 4 years. That I'm not sure of. My guess is that they will deny your application and make you send it in again.

Back