Failed Survey for the 3rd time. Please Help!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niles22

Reaction score
I failed the survey exam again. It's the only one I have left. I really felt that I scored enough the last time, but no cigar. I'm so bummed. Help :hang:

If you read through the other recent threads there are many good advises there in terms of the study materials. Whatever time you spent on studying before - triple it. If you start studying now spending at least 8 hours a week and continue through all these months before the next exam I am sure you will make it. Good luck!

niles, Mostruc had good advice.

How many hours did you study? What resources are you using? Did you take or consider taking a review class? I'd recommend 200 +/- 50 hours of quality studying (reading/learning and performing practice problems).

Good luck.

How many hours did you study? What resources are you using? Did you take or consider taking a review class? I'd recommend 200 +/- 50 hours of quality studying (reading/learning and performing practice problems).

Good luck.
I've prepared the way I prepared for the other exams. I don't understand it myself. I get stuck spending 5 mins on one question then another 5 on the next question then bam! - I'm out of time. I've worked out all my survey study materials 3-4 times and now I know all the answers by heart. I'm just dumbfounded.

Good luck.
I've prepared the way I prepared for the other exams. I don't understand it myself. I get stuck spending 5 mins on one question then another 5 on the next question then bam! - I'm out of time. I've worked out all my survey study materials 3-4 times and now I know all the answers by heart. I'm just dumbfounded.
Did you see this thread? Try the free CT workbook and/or videos.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=20426

i feel your pain.

i went into this exam as a knowledgeable, very experienced, and licensed land surveyor. so to say the least, the exam was far from difficult for me. without hesitation, i worked from the front to back, did not have to step back on any problem due to a mistake, and finished early. 20 minutes early. yeah, 20 min.

so your enemy is time, as far as i'm concerned. save for a few problems, none were all that difficult. your best bet, i think, is to find the easy problems and do those first. get the exam jitters away. unfortunately through the new format you cant just flip pages, so it may take a little more time but it will be worth it. then, go back to the first problem and work your way through and make sure to quickly get a grasp of what they're asking before you read the entire problem in detail. why? well... any problem that is going to take you a long time to solve is a problem you WANT to skip. go back to it after you get to the end of the exam and do it if you have time. there are probably going to be a few problems like this, and i would guess the exam writers would love to stick those in or near the front to "distract" you... as they call it. don't fall for it. pass over the time consuming stuff and complete as many easy and fast problems as you can.

If you know the answers to all of the practice problems, then you are MECHANICALLY answering the questions. You need to THINK about what the question is asking and then go about solving it. I suspect that you are mechanically solving the problems, and there may be a snag in the question that requires you to either use different units, use different ??????, something. However, because you have mechanically answered the practice problems so many times, you put down a distractor, instead of carefully thinking through the problem and putting down the correct answer.

Carefully read and think through the problem. Be sure you know what they are asking for, then give it to them. You are rushing, not thinking and because of that, you are failing.

Carefully measure your time-- work at a measured pace-- you should be able to pass this. I have faith that you will do so when you think instead of mechanically working these problem sets.

I did not signed up for any classes, but I bought the Workbook of Reza Mahallati and the Surveying Practice Workbook of Dr. Mansour online. I believed you can buy it from ebay, Amazon or from the authors online. I worked on all of the problems and I passed the Survey.

Back