FAIL FIRST TIME ! NEED HELP

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Power PE

Reaction score
hello respected friends

congratulations to the who made it !

i couldnt make it this time , but was very close. i have the following material

John A. Camara; Power Reference Manual for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam

Grainger and Wildi book

camara practise problems

Complex Imaginary Complete Set (Volumes 1-4)

spin up all sample papers

Homemade Exam 3-ring binder

NCEES practice test

2011 NEC

i lost in Transmission section esp transformer section, i do have the Wildi book but was too much overwhelming for me to go through all the chapter, it was way too much to read.

dear friends, can u suggest me chapters to go through the Wilidi book and grainger ?

i really want to pass this time, its do or die for me ! so want to work hard and nail it !

also any other material i need besides this list please let me know

thank you in advance and any word of advise mean lot to me.

thank you

Power PE

Looks like you have almost the same material that i had...exept that I study 3 phase from the Nilsson & Riedel Electric Circuits (8th edition) i have the solution manual.... Also I used the electric machinery fundamentals by Stephen Chapman. ( i think i have the solution manual for the 4th edition not sure)...but i also took the GA Tech course.

I didnt have the Grainger book..or the spin-off test I did have the 4 complex imaginary first edition(the one with a lot of errors).

Hope this helps! There is no exact science on how to pass...but I told my self that to pass the PE I needed to have the same knowledge of a college professor and I studied a lot....I mean a LOTTT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you have almost the same material that i had...exept that I study 3 phase from the Nilsson & Riedel Electric Circuits (8th edition) i have the solution manual.... Also I used the electric machinery fundamentals by Stephen Chapman. ( i think i have the solution manual for the 4th edition not sure)...but i also took the GA Tech course.

I didnt have the Grainger book..or the spin-off test I did have the 4 complex imaginary first edition(the one with a lot of errors).

Hope this helps! There is no exact science on how to pass...but I told my self that to pass the PE I needed to have the same knowledge of a college professor and I studied a lot....I mean a LOTTT!
As a total how many hours you might have studied? i am planning to start preparing for the exam from next month. Please let me know.

thanks

Panna

As a total how many hours you might have studied? i am planning to start preparing for the exam from next month. Please let me know.
thanks

Panna
I study for a period of about a year...Almost every day in the evenings I think I put about an hour...on weekends i put about 6 hours between saturdays and sundays....I think I put more than what I actually needed but I really wanted to pass on first try....I took the FE 3 times...passed on third try and I knew how failure feels like and I didnt want that to happen again so I study as much as I could...even during lunch I think I put half hour reading books...and it really pay off...I passed the PE on first try...mission accomplished I was happy with the outcome.

Although I don't think you need that much study to pass PE, I do think it would benefit you a lot, not just to earn the PE, consider taking it as an opportunity to study for the knowledge, which is rare after graduating from the college.

thanks

Panna
I study for a period of about a year...Almost every day in the evenings I think I put about an hour...on weekends i put about 6 hours between saturdays and sundays....I think I put more than what I actually needed but I really wanted to pass on first try....I took the FE 3 times...passed on third try and I knew how failure feels like and I didnt want that to happen again so I study as much as I could...even during lunch I think I put half hour reading books...and it really pay off...I passed the PE on first try...mission accomplished I was happy with the outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone have "Graffeo book. Electrical Engineers Guide to Passing the PE Exam" ,,,,,,,, who is willing to sell ?

Although I don't think you need that much study to pass PE, I do think it would benefit you a lot, not just to earn the PE, consider taking it as an opportunity to study for the knowledge, which is rare after graduating from the college.

thanks

Panna
I study for a period of about a year...Almost every day in the evenings I think I put about an hour...on weekends i put about 6 hours between saturdays and sundays....I think I put more than what I actually needed but I really wanted to pass on first try....I took the FE 3 times...passed on third try and I knew how failure feels like and I didnt want that to happen again so I study as much as I could...even during lunch I think I put half hour reading books...and it really pay off...I passed the PE on first try...mission accomplished I was happy with the out
True :)

When people ask me how much they need to study for, the first thing I ask them, is what type of EE program did your college have. It seems a lot of people graduate with an EE degree that contained little to no power related classes. This puts you at a disadvantage going into studying, unless you just happened to cover a broad area of power systems in your job.

For people that went to a school in which they took multiple different power system classes, the studying hurdle is much lower. So it really depends on each person, and they background they have in broad power system knowledge.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=23348

I posted several different times in the attached thread about things that helped me

thank you all. u guys are great ! spend half of my day in analyzing information in the posts. thank you

When I first found this site, I was looking for information about retaking the exam, and you would see how desperate I was at that time. I spent one or two hours to go through the thread, and actually took notes and made a list. I changed my way of study since I didn't have enough time to go through everything like I was trying. Without enlightened by the information there, I wouldn't have had any chance to do the practice problems before I could finish reading only (I was stucked at relays by then. Geeze, piles of device numbers and combinations and functions, I would never be able to finish).

You may also want to search threads about NEC, and see if it would be of help. Also use google to search "NCEES PE #" followed by the number of problem to find discussions about NCEES sample problem.

Back