Salary increase after getting the CA PE in civil engineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheitoon Kal

Reaction score
Hi fellow CA PEs. Got a question for you. Is it reasonable to expect salary increase or promotion after getting your PE and if yes, what is the average %increase?

I think that is a common thing among companies. However, it does depend on the company. Where I work, my employer doesn't give a raise for getting licensed. Their reasoning is that you don't magically become a better engineer overnight because you get licensed. However, they counter that by giving good raises (10%) every year between graduation and getting licensed (for newly graduated engineers anyway).

I think that is a common thing among companies. However, it does depend on the company. Where I work, my employer doesn't give a raise for getting licensed. Their reasoning is that you don't magically become a better engineer overnight because you get licensed. However, they counter that by giving good raises (10%) every year between graduation and getting licensed (for newly graduated engineers anyway).
Our company hasn’t given me a good raised for the past two years. This year they gave me only 2.9% raise. Would it be too unprofessional to ask for a raise after passing the PE? I know they give an insignificant spot bonus (<$4k) after passing but I think I will have to negotiate my salary since it is too low.

Our company hasn’t given me a good raised for the past two years. This year they gave me only 2.9% raise. Would it be too unprofessional to ask for a raise after passing the PE? I know they give an insignificant spot bonus (<$4k) after passing but I think I will have to negotiate my salary since it is too low.
I don't think there is anything inherently unprofessional about asking for a raise. I think not giving a half decent employee a raise for two years is a little unprofessional. I think it all depends on HOW you ask. Maybe do a little research on how to ask for a raise. Also, do research into what your market value is. There is no harm in interviewing for other jobs and finding out what other people would be willing to pay you. If your employer is willing to work with you and you like your job, great. If not, you know what your other options are.

I don't think there is anything inherently unprofessional about asking for a raise. I think not giving a half decent employee a raise for two years is a little unprofessional. I think it all depends on HOW you ask. Maybe do a little research on how to ask for a raise. Also, do research into what your market value is. There is no harm in interviewing for other jobs and finding out what other people would be willing to pay you. If your employer is willing to work with you and you like your job, great. If not, you know what your other options are.
Does anyone know the average salary for a professional civil/environmental engineer with 13 years of experience in San Francisco/ Bay? Bachelor degree in civil/masters in environmental engineering

Back