Facebook Faux Pas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2) You assumed incorrectly about the 50 hours. I routinely work 40 hour weeks. However, when we have outages on turbines or other equipment that cost $10 million, I'm more willing to work extra hours, if needed, to make sure there are no hiccups in the operation.
Ah I see, you just wanted to pointlessly argue. Regularly working 40 hour weeks and having an occasional week of 50 because something major comes up is entirely different from regularly working 50+ hours at a 40-hour salary. Guess which of the two your posts gave the impression you were doing?

With no spelling errors and mostly correct grammatical structure? Unlikely.
I was going to point that out. I have generally-similar views on the employer-employee relationship as rrpearso and love the term "fatty money," but I'm a bit better at expressing myself than he is/was.

Ah I see, you just wanted to pointlessly argue. Regularly working 40 hour weeks and having an occasional week of 50 because something major comes up is entirely different from regularly working 50+ hours at a 40-hour salary. Guess which of the two your posts gave the impression you were doing?
You're right. I simply wanted to pointlessly argue.

I'm glad we could come to an understanding.

So, any other interesting tales of TMI on Facebook coming back to bite people in the ass?

Ok, I give in. You win. I'm just a slave in my company working long hours for little pay. Performing my role's duties as defined really does warrant a seven-figure salary and five-digit bonuses. I don't know why I keep working for these abusive slave drivers.
I never even said six-figure. Let's say absolute bare-minimum appropriate base salary for an EIT with the level of responsibility you're claiming is $50k. I'm assuming you're regularly working at least 50 hours a week. A $10k bonus at that point is them getting off cheap. Maybe you like working too much, that's fine and that's your choice; unfortunately, doing so without demanding adequate compensation hurts the situation for the rest of us.

DUDE...I would LOVE to see you make ANY demands these days!!! It's certainly a sellers market right now, and it will be for some time. I hired a guy that had been laid off by the company that we both worked for. Every job he applied for that paid him about $20k below what he WAS making, there were approximately 100 applicants. so.....unless you know something about economics that no one else knows, you're probably very lucky to have a job right now, assuming you have one.

DUDE...I would LOVE to see you make ANY demands these days!!! It's certainly a sellers market right now, and it will be for some time. I hired a guy that had been laid off by the company that we both worked for. Every job he applied for that paid him about $20k below what he WAS making, there were approximately 100 applicants. so.....unless you know something about economics that no one else knows, you're probably very lucky to have a job right now, assuming you have one.
I do have a job, but would go funemployed rather than take yet another pay cut at this point. Life's too short to work for free when there's dry singletrack or fresh snow. That probably won't be necessary though, one guy I worked with here passed the PE last year, our employer wouldn't give him a dime extra, and he left for a fatty raise (>50%).

129194869574054396.jpg

I do have a job, but would go funemployed rather than take yet another pay cut at this point. Life's too short to work for free when there's dry singletrack or fresh snow. That probably won't be necessary though, one guy I worked with here passed the PE last year, our employer wouldn't give him a dime extra, and he left for a fatty raise (>50%).

you do know if you "Quit" your job you can't collect unemployment?? So, unless you're set for retirement, you're probably stuck even if they DO give you another pay cut. I will also say that at some point that will turn around, and the companies that treat thier employees the best will be able to keep the good staff they have, better than the ones that take too much advantage of the downturn. The company I was with will no doubt struggle when things get better.

On the ORIGINAL note.....another good thing about working for yourself...I can insult anyone I want on FB!!! No HR department here looking over my shoulders! lol

the three day weekend really made me actually think about retirement a little bit.....

you do know if you "Quit" your job you can't collect unemployment?? So, unless you're set for retirement, you're probably stuck even if they DO give you another pay cut. I will also say that at some point that will turn around, and the companies that treat thier employees the best will be able to keep the good staff they have, better than the ones that take too much advantage of the downturn. The company I was with will no doubt struggle when things get better.
On the ORIGINAL note.....another good thing about working for yourself...I can insult anyone I want on FB!!! No HR department here looking over my shoulders! lol
I'm aware. I'd tell them to lay me off if it came to another pay cut with even more added responsibility; if they wouldn't, I'd stop performing the duties that are above the scope of my job description (I'm currently performing the job of someone 2-3 levels above where I am now - a 45-60% pay raise would be required to get me where I should be, per their own pay scales). I don't think it'll come to that though, we already know what pay cuts we're dealing with for the next year and I can't imagine being around here to find out what comes next, unless I get that fatty raise.

I can't find it right now, but something like 60-70% of people are planning on leaving their current positions as soon as the economy turns around. All the retraining that's going to be needed is going to slow things down quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the ranting being done on Facebook in general. Does it really make you feel better to let everyone know about your problems? People should get a clue and realize that while they do have freedom to say whatever they want, the still have to live with the consequences that come with it.
<-----Has Facebook.
Free speach means that its free of negitive consequences. Using that logic you could say the chineese have free speach, they can say what ever they want .... and then pay the consequences, which is really not free speach. Free speach disappeared a long time ago and will only get worse with this new supreme court ruling.

I just want to have sex with the misses, play with my child, walk the dog and make a little money. Maybe not in that order. Nowhere does Facebook come into play there.

Better ways than FB to poast pics on the web. Why go there and see how old and scary the hot chicks from high school got! It's better to remember those ladies as hot!

I'm aware. I'd tell them to lay me off if it came to another pay cut with even more added responsibility; if they wouldn't, I'd stop performing the duties that are above the scope of my job description (I'm currently performing the job of someone 2-3 levels above where I am now - a 45-60% pay raise would be required to get me where I should be, per their own pay scales). I don't think it'll come to that though, we already know what pay cuts we're dealing with for the next year and I can't imagine being around here to find out what comes next, unless I get that fatty raise.
I can't find it right now, but something like 60-70% of people are planning on leaving their current positions as soon as the economy turns around. All the retraining that's going to be needed is going to slow things down quite a bit.
Why would am employer want to lay you off if you stop performing your duties? That employer would still be paying you through unemployment, so they would most likely opt to fire you.

I now see why you are criticizing Master slackers work ethics, you just pointed out that you work 2-3 levels above yourself and should have a 45-60% pay raise. Sounds like you are the one getting screwed and doing way more work than you should be according to your logic, not Master slacker. You really should quit.

Yep I agree, you could even go so far as calculate what you should be making per hour and only work the number of hours you are being paid for so just leave at like 2pm, I would need that time to look for a new job or get a second job to pick up the slack from the pay cut anyways, my mortgage does not care about pay cuts, if worse came to worse you could go over seas for a year or 2 and take your wife with you and come back after the economy recovers. When the economy picks up you will see places go out of buisness and utilities will have to restructure.

Back