Facebook Faux Pas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
facebook isnt all bad, I have met up with friends from long ago and gone diving together, its helping throw a welcome home party for a friend of mine who just got back from Iraq, and of course it gives me something to do while sitting at red lights ;)

at work those of us who do public appearances, speaking, and TV stuff were all told to be very careful about what we put on there and not to put anything work related up... I have taken that info to heart!

In the same light, do you work your 9 to 5 each and every day? If you work over, do you get paid overtime? I don't. Sometimes that's just part of the job. I get paid my salary regardless of whether I work 40 or 100 hours each week.
Well it's more like 7 to 3:30 for me, but anything over 40 I get time and a half. I don't have my PE yet (hopefully that'll change in the next day or two) and as such, I'm non-exempt from OT. Maintaining an appropriate hourly wage is important. Working well over 40 hours a week without additional compensation, OT exempt or not, isn't very smart.

I can't tell if she got stiffed or not. If it was a $20 tab, that was a nice tip. Waitstaff has adopted the entitlement mentality like crazy.
And if it was a buffet (I don't know if that Brixx has one or not), then she's really out of line. 3hours is not atypical at all.
$5 for an extra hour of work past the end of a shift is unreasonable, 25% of the bill or not. I'm not saying she should be making fatty money as a waitress, but three hours at some crummy restaurant, having to work late, and getting essentially nothing for it is bogus.
In the same light, do you work your 9 to 5 each and every day? If you work over, do you get paid overtime? I don't. Sometimes that's just part of the job. I get paid my salary regardless of whether I work 40 or 100 hours each week.
Also, whether she worked past her shift was a decision she and/or the restaurant made, not the customers. They are just there for a meal and are probably unaware of staff schedules. She was pissed and ranted at the wrong people.

We went into a restaurant one time, aparrently five minutes before the waitress's shif was over. She was so pushy for us to hurry up and order, then to hurry up and eat, that she went tipless. We didn't go back, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The subject waitress should not have been fired IMO. She got stiffed and the restaturant should recognize that. They should've quietly asked to remove the post and let sleeping dogs lie.
I can't tell if she got stiffed or not. If it was a $20 tab, that was a nice tip. Waitstaff has adopted the entitlement mentality like crazy.

And if it was a buffet (I don't know if that Brixx has one or not), then she's really out of line. 3hours is not atypical at all.
I want to know where a couple can get dinner and lounge for 3 hours for $20.

The subject waitress should not have been fired IMO. She got stiffed and the restaturant should recognize that. They should've quietly asked to remove the post and let sleeping dogs lie.

I want to know where a couple can get dinner and lounge for 3 hours for $20.
I've done it before with three people. Always at a buffet, usually chinese but also at CiCi's.

With a couple it can easily be done at a mexican restaurant as well.

People put way too much of their personal business out there.
<--no FB and not likely to ever have one
That's kinda how I feel too.

The rule of thumb I learned about posting or emailing random public stuff is that if you'd be embarassed to see it printed on the front page of the NY Times, don't post it.

Forget where I learned that, but the point is valid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love facebook....my only problem is having 5-6 women that I've gone out with recently as friends, and trying to make sure none of them comment on something we did together on my wall! I'm pretty sure that none of them are on here. lol

Well it's more like 7 to 3:30 for me, but anything over 40 I get time and a half. I don't have my PE yet (hopefully that'll change in the next day or two) and as such, I'm non-exempt from OT. Maintaining an appropriate hourly wage is important. Working well over 40 hours a week without additional compensation, OT exempt or not, isn't very smart.
Sure thing, chief. :rolleyes: If you're in the up-and-coming group of young engineers (like myself), being seen as not willing to put in extra hours to get a job done can be harmful to your career. Then again, if you're already making fatty money and are comfortable with where you are OR you have a job that only takes 40 hours per week to do, working more than 40 hours per week may not be the best thing in the world.

I love facebook....my only problem is having 5-6 women that I've gone out with recently as friends, and trying to make sure none of them comment on something we did together on my wall! I'm pretty sure that none of them are on here. lol

To me that seems like sweet problem to have. *High Five* Very nice!

I have just enough random friends from so many different aspects of my life that facebook makes it easy to keep in touch with them. Also, because there are so many different people on there, if I don't want everyone to know what's going on, I won't post it. Kinda like the wife's boob job. There are a few family and friends who know about it, but I don't need to share it with some of my long-lost highschool buddies. Or like going through the job search/interview process. I have a few co-workers as friends who I DEFINATELY didn't want to see what I was doing, so it wasn't posted. Also, I am involved in a criminal investigation (work for the Sherrif's office), so I need to make sure everything I have posted can't be used against me to discredit the last 6 months of work as a consultant/witness.

Sure thing, chief. :rolleyes: If you're in the up-and-coming group of young engineers (like myself), being seen as not willing to put in extra hours to get a job done can be harmful to your career. Then again, if you're already making fatty money and are comfortable with where you are OR you have a job that only takes 40 hours per week to do, working more than 40 hours per week may not be the best thing in the world.
If you aren't able to get your job done in 40 hours, you're either inefficient or your employer is taking advantage of you (or both). Accepting abuse and asking for more of it isn't being "professional," it's diluting the value of engineers everywhere.

I know, employers are using "the economy" as an excuse for why everyone should put in an extra 20 hours a week on top of pay cuts, as a stick and saying "you should just be thankful you still have a job." Life's too short to work yourself to death, particularly when you aren't being properly compensated for it.

That's kinda how I feel too.
The rule of thumb I learned about posting or emailing random public stuff is that if you'd be embarassed to see it printed on the front page of the NY Times, don't post it.

Forget where I learned that, but the point is valid.
It was less specific (no NY Times reference) but I've heard the same line of advice. The point of "don't put anything out there that you don't mind everyone knowing" was driven home recently when I found out an ex I'd broken up with two years prior had been stalking me online and actually contacted the girl I'm dating (somehow figured out who she was from pictures I posted of us skiing). Creepiest thing I've ever had to deal with.

If you aren't able to get your job done in 40 hours, you're either inefficient or your employer is taking advantage of you (or both). Accepting abuse and asking for more of it isn't being "professional," it's diluting the value of engineers everywhere.
I know, employers are using "the economy" as an excuse for why everyone should put in an extra 20 hours a week on top of pay cuts, as a stick and saying "you should just be thankful you still have a job." Life's too short to work yourself to death, particularly when you aren't being properly compensated for it.
When you're responsible for over $1 billion worth of gas and steam turbines that supply power and steam for a site that has a gross profit of over $6 million each and every day, you will not advance very far if you have the attitude of "I put in my 40 hours so I'm going home". Something tells me that those who don't work any time over 40 hours per week do not involve themselves in turnarounds or major outages. Deferring responsibilities and not being a leader in your role / department is not "professional".

My company isn't using the economy as an excuse. Extra hours are our personal choices on this site to get our equipment up and running. And if whoever has responsibility for a turnaround or outage is not available for any decision and that subsequently delays the RTO date, it will be duly noted for the annual review. Money lost for the company due to a weak work ethic is money / opportunities lost for the employee.

When you're responsible for over $1 billion worth of gas and steam turbines that supply power and steam for a site that has a gross profit of over $6 million each and every day, you will not advance very far if you have the attitude of "I put in my 40 hours so I'm going home". Something tells me that those who don't work any time over 40 hours per week do not involve themselves in turnarounds or major outages. Deferring responsibilities and not being a leader in your role / department is not "professional".
My company isn't using the economy as an excuse. Extra hours are our personal choices on this site to get our equipment up and running. And if whoever has responsibility for a turnaround or outage is not available for any decision and that subsequently delays the RTO date, it will be duly noted for the annual review. Money lost for the company due to a weak work ethic is money / opportunities lost for the employee.
If you're putting in the time and taking the responsibility, I certainly hope you're being adequately compensated. You say money lost for the company is money lost for the employee...so are you getting fatty (five-figure) bonuses as a result?

Ok, I give in. You win. I'm just a slave in my company working long hours for little pay. Performing my role's duties as defined really does warrant a seven-figure salary and five-digit bonuses. I don't know why I keep working for these abusive slave drivers.

Good point, and if you feel you are adequately rewarded, that's cool.

But I kinda see what bean's getting at. I once interviewed at a company and they asked if I'd be willing to put in 50 hour weeks, routinely. I said yeah, if the compensation was 25% above what they advertsied. Didn't get the job, but didn't want it at that level of salary.

It is all a personal decision. I prefer to do my 40 and go home, so I seek those jobs.

Ok, I give in. You win. I'm just a slave in my company working long hours for little pay. Performing my role's duties as defined really does warrant a seven-figure salary and five-digit bonuses. I don't know why I keep working for these abusive slave drivers.
I never even said six-figure. Let's say absolute bare-minimum appropriate base salary for an EIT with the level of responsibility you're claiming is $50k. I'm assuming you're regularly working at least 50 hours a week. A $10k bonus at that point is them getting off cheap. Maybe you like working too much, that's fine and that's your choice; unfortunately, doing so without demanding adequate compensation hurts the situation for the rest of us.

1) I'm a PE who doesn't get any additional pay for being a PE. I did it on my own accord knowing fully well that I would get nothing back from my company. I do not do anything PE related for the company, so I shoudn't be getting paid more.

2) You assumed incorrectly about the 50 hours. I routinely work 40 hour weeks. However, when we have outages on turbines or other equipment that cost $10 million, I'm more willing to work extra hours, if needed, to make sure there are no hiccups in the operation.

3) Our bonuses are based on our performance in a given year. If they are "getting off cheap", so be it. I know my worth and I know what other companies have offered me.

4) My choices make little to no difference in how other employers view you. I work for a chemical company. Others here work for the government or consulting firms. If anyone here honestly believes a chemical plant's salary for an engineer affects the salary of another sector, such as government, to an extent which you are leading me to believe, I'll stop eating PB&J sandwiches for a week. For example, after graduation in 2002 I was offered two jobs, one government and one industrial. Industrial offered me a 40% higher salary.

Back