Expecting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You bet I'm going to find out what we're having! I'm an engineer and like to have as much information as possible :) I don't understand it when people want to wait to be surprised. I'll be just as surprised when I find out while I'm pregnant as if I were to wait until i give birth. I should get better confirmation soon. I had an ultrasound last week and the technician thinks I'm having a girl. but I'm not purchasing any girl stuff yet until after my 20 week ultrasound (three weeks from Friday).

Yes, the extreme fatigue goes away eventually. There were 6 weeks there that I pretty much parked myself on the couch when I wasn't sleeping or at work. I'm a little more productive on weekends now.

I really miss beer. I know its for a good cause and everything, but all of the St Patty's day stuff just reminds me of the holiday celebrating my favorite beer. It really makes me depressed.

You bet I'm going to find out what we're having! I'm an engineer and like to have as much information as possible :) I don't understand it when people want to wait to be surprised. I'll be just as surprised when I find out while I'm pregnant as if I were to wait until i give birth. I should get better confirmation soon. I had an ultrasound last week and the technician thinks I'm having a girl. but I'm not purchasing any girl stuff yet until after my 20 week ultrasound (three weeks from Friday).
Yes, the extreme fatigue goes away eventually. There were 6 weeks there that I pretty much parked myself on the couch when I wasn't sleeping or at work. I'm a little more productive on weekends now.

I really miss beer. I know its for a good cause and everything, but all of the St Patty's day stuff just reminds me of the holiday celebrating my favorite beer. It really makes me depressed.
Yes the engineer in me has to know what I'm having too! I agree with you that it's fine to be surprised earlier.

I am very bummed about drinking too. My 30th birthday was in January and I couldn't drink and I just went to an open bar wedding. It's painful!

You have to post here for sure when you find out what you are having! My husbands side of the family tends to only make boys so we'll see if we break the trend or not.

we waited because it's never 100% certain. I know too many people who were told they were having one gender and it ended up the other.

Ultrasound is limited to grainy images of the baby in the womb. Depending on how baby decides to position him/herself the ultrasound may or may not provide a definitive shot of the crotch area. Technicians will only tell you that baby is a boy if they specifically see a "stem" developing, otherwise they default to a girl with a qualifier of unsurety. What I'm getting at is that you're really never sure of the gender until the baby is born. (even then there's often some ambiguity but we won't go there).

I have heard stories of parents expecting a girl, setting up the room for a little girl and buying all kinds of girl stuff only to have a boy on delivery day. Unfortunately, some people are saddened or disappointed despite the fact that baby is very healthy and beautiful. That's why we waited it out with both our kids. All I wanted was for everybody to be healthy. You can always paint and fix the room however you want to after the fact.

oops i just noticed that snick beat me to this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting. I have not known anyone that had them be wrong..."knock on wood". Guess that would just make things interesting! We are planning on doing the room green anyways so it wouldn't be bad. The bad part would be that we will only have one name picked out :huh:

We found out what Mini-Ble was going to be during our ultrasound. The woman was pretty sure that it was a boy because as soon as she went "down there" with the little ultrasound thingamajiggy, she stop and said "It's a boy!" without pausing. My wife must have asked her 3-4 times if she was sure, and she said was sure. Mrs. Ble ended up getting 2-3 more ultrasounds and each one of them verified that it was a boy, so we felt pretty confident. We did paint the room green, so it wouldn't have matter on that end, but it would have sucked to buy girls clothes because we had all of our nephew's hand-me-downs.

Good luck!!

We had 2 names picked out before we knew for either of our kids. We ended up using the un-used girl name from when we were expecting our son for our daughter when she came 2 years later, and had come up with a 2nd boy name incase we had 2 boys instead of 1 of each.

We had a girl's name picked out before my wife even got pregnant. It took us almost the entire pregnancy to figure out a boys name that we both liked.

we waited because it's never 100% certain. I know too many people who were told they were having one gender and it ended up the other.
Happened to us. If the doc says, "I don't see boy parts"... don't think like my wife and automatically "know" it's a girl.

After many pink purchases, we came home with a boy and new paint. My wife still to this day laughs about that surprise.

After many pink purchases, we came home with a boy and new paint. My wife still to this day laughs about that surprise.
At one of my cousins baby shower, they received a lot of hand knitted girly/pink things like hooded capes, shawls, etc... from imediate family. They came home from the hospital with a baby boy too.

The ultra-sound tech told us there's a bigger chance of a wrong call when they think it's a girl. Basically, if they see "boy parts", it's a definite thing. Due to positioning of the baby when they take the picture, the relevant parts may not be visible which would give a false "girl" prediction.

They were at least honest with us at the first ultra-sound and told us they weren't sure. However, due to a minor issue with my wife's pregnancy, we had an extra ultra-sound and they told us we were having a boy.

We had a girl's name picked out before my wife even got pregnant. It took us almost the entire pregnancy to figure out a boys name that we both liked.
We're the complete opposite, we've had a boy's name picked out even before we started trying to get pregnant. But we haven't really been able to agree on any girl names yet.

We're the complete opposite, we've had a boy's name picked out even before we started trying to get pregnant. But we haven't really been able to agree on any girl names yet.
Same with us. Not a single girl name we could agree upon. Good thing, though. A boy came into this world with a name picked out.

I have a niece who is expecting a boy in a few weeks. She graduated from NC State University - red and white. Arch-rival UNC - Chapel Hill has light blue and white. It was funny at the shower. She got a few "baby blue" things and said she could handle a few, but the nursery theme has NO baby blue. Some navy blue, but no "Carolina blue".

We went for our first ultrasound on Friday... everything looks good so far

as with everyone else, they think we're having a girl, but with the "I've been wrong before" tacked on.... We're waiting semi-patiently for the next ultrasound to see if the prediction changes...

Here's basically the best ultrasound pic I've ever seen! :)

Baby__1_.JPG

It's pretty amazing seeing the ultrasound for the first time. We got a pic of Mini-ble sucking his thumb during ours, and he was sucking it right after he was born too! Amazing stuff.

Back