Expecting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I've attempted to eliminate the possibility of #4, we held a garage sale last week. 8 hours of sale and 2 weeks of my wife prep'ing everyhing and we're $1k in the green. I only wonder what we paid originally for all this stuff. We only sold about half, so we're doing another garage sale in the beginning of May.
One thing I've found that works well if you're just looking to get rid of your stuff and not worried making the maximum amount of profit, is to sell everything via a tip jar. We did this for my grandfather's estate when he passed last summer and we got rid of EVERYTHING in 3 days. We just put out a jar and asked anyone who stopped by and wanted something that they only pay what they thought was fair. Granted we had a sign up that said any money collected would go to help support a family friend dealing with breast cancer (which is where every penny of the $5k collected went).

Yes, some people just walked up and took stuff without leaving any money, but most of that stuff would normally be found on the $1 table anyways.

We plan on doing something like this later this summer with the proceeds of selling our crap to be added to the kiddo's college fund.

Now that I've attempted to eliminate the possibility of #4, we held a garage sale last week. 8 hours of sale and 2 weeks of my wife prep'ing everyhing and we're $1k in the green. I only wonder what we paid originally for all this stuff. We only sold about half, so we're doing another garage sale in the beginning of May.
One thing I've found that works well if you're just looking to get rid of your stuff and not worried making the maximum amount of profit, is to sell everything via a tip jar. We did this for my grandfather's estate when he passed last summer and we got rid of EVERYTHING in 3 days. We just put out a jar and asked anyone who stopped by and wanted something that they only pay what they thought was fair. Granted we had a sign up that said any money collected would go to help support a family friend dealing with breast cancer (which is where every penny of the $5k collected went).

Yes, some people just walked up and took stuff without leaving any money, but most of that stuff would normally be found on the $1 table anyways.

We plan on doing something like this later this summer with the proceeds of selling our crap to be added to the kiddo's college fund.
To add to Dex's suggestions you might google and see if there's a"freecycle" site in your area. It's a great way to get rid of "useful" items that you don't need, don't necessarily want any money for, but don't want to see tossed in a landfill. You post what you're getting rid of and people and someone will contact you about picking them up if they can use them. Alternately you can place a "wanted" post if you need something that you think someone might have lying around and want to get rid of. Oft times someone will have what your looking for and just give it to you. It's good for everybody.

For those ladies expecting, if you plan on nursing and therfore pumping when you go back to work. I HIGHLY recommend the Medela pump in style. The 3 months i've been back at work (prttime) it has worked great. I just received a completely new pump in the mail today because the diaphram had shifted slightly causing a slight loss in vacuum. Customer service is excellent!!!! Well worth the money...even better if you can find lots of coupons. Shortly after creating the babies r us registry i got a $20 off medela coupon in the mail and babies r us had a 20% off a single item coupon. so the deals are out there.

I'll put in my recommendations for Baby-411 and Toddler-411 as well. They are done by the same authors of Baby Bargains, with the help of a well-known Pediactric doctor.

For those ladies expecting, if you plan on nursing and therfore pumping when you go back to work. I HIGHLY recommend the Medela pump in style. The 3 months i've been back at work (prttime) it has worked great. I just received a completely new pump in the mail today because the diaphram had shifted slightly causing a slight loss in vacuum. Customer service is excellent!!!! Well worth the money...even better if you can find lots of coupons. Shortly after creating the babies r us registry i got a $20 off medela coupon in the mail and babies r us had a 20% off a single item coupon. so the deals are out there.
Yep, this is what I plan to get. Not sure if I want to get the Freestyle or the Pump in Style though.

Yep, this is what I plan to get. Not sure if I want to get the Freestyle or the Pump in Style though.
Yeah I was thinking this pump is what I wanted too. I hate that it's so expensive though. What is the difference in price between the Freestyle and the Pump in Style?

On another note, a week from today we find out what we are having. I can't wait!!

Yeah I was thinking this pump is what I wanted too. I hate that it's so expensive though. What is the difference in price between the Freestyle and the Pump in Style?

On another note, a week from today we find out what we are having. I can't wait!!
the freestyle is $100 more, but it works handsfree. somedays i think it would be worth the extra money, but other days not. The upfront costs are expensive but cheaper than formula in the long run, especially if you plan on haveing more kids. If you get the pump in style at full price: assuming a can of powdered formula is $15 and you go through a can a week, then you break even after 19 weeks.

Hope the baby cooperates at the ultrasound!

the freestyle is $100 more, but it works handsfree. somedays i think it would be worth the extra money, but other days not. The upfront costs are expensive but cheaper than formula in the long run, especially if you plan on haveing more kids. If you get the pump in style at full price: assuming a can of powdered formula is $15 and you go through a can a week, then you break even after 19 weeks.

I'm probably going to lose my man card over this, but I would recommend renting a pump from the hospital. The hospital where my kids were born had a lactation department, and for $40 a month you could rent the nicest pump available which retailed for $500. Mrs. Chucktown quite breast feeding after 3 months so I came out way cheaper renting. Also, you can use your FSA (if you have one) to purchase this stuff tax free.

This thread is going to haunt my dreams. So much for my hot brunettes.

I agree with Chuck. My wife had the worst luck with pumps. When they worked, they were great, but for some reason each one we got ended up broken. By the 3rd month with our second child, we were only buying the cheapo $20 pumps which would last about a month before dying.

I agree with Chuck. My wife had the worst luck with pumps. When they worked, they were great, but for some reason each one we got ended up broken. By the 3rd month with our second child, we were only buying the cheapo $20 pumps which would last about a month before dying.
that wouldn't be a problem with medela, they are warranteed for a yr, so no matter how many times it broke they will send a replacement free of charge.

Just make sure you have something lined out for the "down time" when you're waiting on a replacement.

Mrs. Buff found a used Medela at Once Upon A Child for a fraction of the price of a brand new one. We thouroughly cleaned and sanitized it, and it worked great.

Medela is the best, don't even bother with anything else!!! I have had excellent experience with their customer service as well...

Back