Expected Results Before May 24th

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but I believe there is sometimes a lag between the release of results and when the email actually comes.
Gotcha...still better to wait than deal with anxiety through the roof from constantly refreshing the page!

Oh god, I had ignored everyone's advice and had to comb through 8 years worth of emails to put that damn thing together.
I had the fortune of a PE telling me right when i started working to make a spreadsheet for EVERYTHING i ever do in any company for this very purpose. Then when my SER came around I wrote about 3-5 pages per job with details of certain jobs then attached that spreadsheet. each one was still around 30 pages (the max) but it was done in like 2 days rather than 2 weeks

I had the fortune of a PE telling me right when i started working to make a spreadsheet for EVERYTHING i ever do in any company for this very purpose. Then when my SER came around I wrote about 3-5 pages per job with details of certain jobs then attached that spreadsheet. each one was still around 30 pages (the max) but it was done in like 2 days rather than 2 weeks
So, what do you mean by "jobs."  Reading this discussion has me worried I did mine incorrectly.  Do you mean employers, or projects?  My SER was only 6 pages (the minimum).  I have ~7 years of experience, but I have only had two employers.

So, what do you mean by "jobs."  Reading this discussion has me worried I did mine incorrectly.  Do you mean employers, or projects?  My SER was only 6 pages (the minimum).  I have ~7 years of experience, but I have only had two employers.
Actually both, So I am only 28 but have has 3 different careers, Field engineer, Plumbing Design Engineer, and now a Project Engineer. (I know all very different). Because of that i had to have 3 SERs one for each profession, but for each profession i had a "job list" that had a date start, date end, title, and description of what i did. I attached that (or most of it my current professions job list was like 48 pages so i had to cut it down) to the end of my SER which had maybe 10-12 of those listed in WAY more detail. Like an example would be my spreadsheet may have "Coppell Middle school" and in description "designed 2 story science lab layout, storm drain, and restroom layout" but in the first part of my SER i would have maybe a page and a half about safety equipment, sizing standards and practices, schedule procedures, and other design criteria and how it was implemented into the project. My SERs were already approved BTW i called about it some time after delivering them. So this method definitely works, I think if you overwhelm them with information they just go "eh he/she is probably good enough"

Actually both, So I am only 28 but have has 3 different careers, Field engineer, Plumbing Design Engineer, and now a Project Engineer. (I know all very different). Because of that i had to have 3 SERs one for each profession, but for each profession i had a "job list" that had a date start, date end, title, and description of what i did. I attached that (or most of it my current professions job list was like 48 pages so i had to cut it down) to the end of my SER which had maybe 10-12 of those listed in WAY more detail. Like an example would be my spreadsheet may have "Coppell Middle school" and in description "designed 2 story science lab layout, storm drain, and restroom layout" but in the first part of my SER i would have maybe a page and a half about safety equipment, sizing standards and practices, schedule procedures, and other design criteria and how it was implemented into the project. My SERs were already approved BTW i called about it some time after delivering them. So this method definitely works, I think if you overwhelm them with information they just go "eh he/she is probably good enough"
Okay, I'm tracking.

Thank you very much for this information! 

I have some work to do on mine.  I'm trying to pull the trigger on sending it to the board this week. 

Okay, I'm tracking.

I have some work to do on mine.  I'm trying to pull the trigger on sending it to the board this week. 
Remember, each DIFFERENT SER you do (for me 3) needs to be approved by a PE and you also need 3 Different PEs total. they way i did it was since only my second job had PEs at it but we are all in good terms. I had my old boss approve all 3 of my different SERs and but two other PEs approve just the second job as we all worked together. This gave me all 3 different ones checked off and my 3 different PEs in one swoop.

Okay, I'm tracking.

You are allowed to take the exam in Texas without the board approving your work experience prior?

In NY you have to get that all sorted out before they will allow you to take the exam.

You are allowed to take the exam in Texas without the board approving your work experience prior?

In NY you have to get that all sorted out before they will allow you to take the exam.
They just separated Experience and the Test in Texas. So really you can pass the FE in college then go take the PE while everything is fresh. you just cant become a PE till you get your 4 years experience

Yes, they recently decoupled the experience and test requirements. It went into effect maybe a year ago.

Okay, I'm tracking.

So, maybe it's because I work for an incredibly small firm now and my boss did his SER an eternity ago and couldn't give me a ton of help, but my SER was one page a piece for each career change. I started in land development and mainly designed Walmart sites, so I focused on what I did on those projects for five years, then I jumped to offshore structural and wrote about my biggest project for those two years and then came back to land development and now do mainly medical facility design and wrote about the most difficult project for that. I was approved for the exam based on this so I don't necessarily know if this submittal needs to be all that daunting, just take your most difficult project, describe how your engineering stood out in that situation and go from there.

For Louisiana, we had to fill out experience records as part of the application to take the PE exam.  I only had one employer since graduating at the time I applied, but I'd lived in a few states/had different positions so I did one per position/state.  Each one was only about a page though and included a paragraph describing general responsibilities, examples of how engineering was used in the position, and then examples of projects.

I wonder how well that will go over when I apply for reciprocity in TX.

Remember, each DIFFERENT SER you do (for me 3) needs to be approved by a PE and you also need 3 Different PEs total. they way i did it was since only my second job had PEs at it but we are all in good terms. I had my old boss approve all 3 of my different SERs and but two other PEs approve just the second job as we all worked together. This gave me all 3 different ones checked off and my 3 different PEs in one swoop.
This is so helpful - it matches my situation almost exactly.  Of my two jobs only my current job now has PEs.  So, I was trying to figure out who to send my "engagement" write ups too.  It sounds like for my old job/engagement (with no PEs) I send that to any one of my references, and for the job I'm working now, I send that engagement to all three of my references.

So, one of my references gets two "engagements" and all of my references get one.

So, maybe it's because I work for an incredibly small firm now and my boss did his SER an eternity ago and couldn't give me a ton of help, but my SER was one page a piece for each career change. I started in land development and mainly designed Walmart sites, so I focused on what I did on those projects for five years, then I jumped to offshore structural and wrote about my biggest project for those two years and then came back to land development and now do mainly medical facility design and wrote about the most difficult project for that. I was approved for the exam based on this so I don't necessarily know if this submittal needs to be all that daunting, just take your most difficult project, describe how your engineering stood out in that situation and go from there.
Yea i am unsure what exactly they expect as far as what gets by as "your SER is good enough" i just know my over filled SER got like insta-approved so i never had to worry

Back