Exam Highlight

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnvEngineer

Reaction score
Its all over now, just wait and see. At pomona just for the survey exam we had about 1000 victims. The highligh was at the end when they annouced the results would be posted in 15 weeks??. There was a groan that could be heard miles away.

How about you, what happend, burned minds like me want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
My expectation is that everybody should be getting it as New Year's gift.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I read somewhere that they were going to a different notification system that would make it quicker. I haven't been able to re-find whatever I read so I may just be making it up.

Either way, in Texas, I expect a mid-to-late December notification date.

The highlight of the exam in Houston was the Lead proctor straight up berating all the other proctors for being slow, inattentive, stupid, whatever. I was torn between feeling sorry and laughing.

Ouch, The people working my exams have all been helpfull and attentive, I dont know if I have been difficult, picky or nervious but I changed chairs and pencils twice!!! makes me look pretty difficult but they were helpful. BTW the last pencil and chair were the best.

Took CA Surveying only in San Mateo. Lead Proctor also made the "15 week comment" at the end, with lots of groans. It was 13 weeks last time? I thought NCEES would speed up the process? Feel about the same as I did taking this exam in April. Thought it would be easier taking only this one test, but it really requires a speed to solve the easier problems, so that you have time to get to the longer ones. I think I got 100% of the first half, but then started to choke towards the end. Had to random guess about 5 problems due to lack of time.

I sit for the seismic test last year, and got the results by the end of Jan of this year.

I believe, since NCEES as to deal a little bit more with CA board, results should be released quicker than previous years.

Maybe they will release the scores by email, of course, sending a letter by mail afterwards.

Thanks what I think.

In Del Mar, the clearly said results will be in 13 weeks, not 15. They repeated that both for Seismic and Surveying, so it's not that I heard wrong.

Why am I not surprise with the lack of consistency? Byt, last time they announced 13 and it was exacetelly 13 weeks. If now is 15, they cutting from the time to study for those who will need to take it again...

I hope at least that we'll get the results through NCEES, not waiting like a dog for the mail man...

Took CA Surveying only in San Mateo. Lead Proctor also made the "15 week comment" at the end, with lots of groans. It was 13 weeks last time? I thought NCEES would speed up the process? Feel about the same as I did taking this exam in April. Thought it would be easier taking only this one test, but it really requires a speed to solve the easier problems, so that you have time to get to the longer ones. I think I got 100% of the first half, but then started to choke towards the end. Had to random guess about 5 problems due to lack of time.
if you've got %100 on the first half set of questions, then you are a genius, you will be OK, the problem is that sometimes you think you got an answer right but then when you check them back in your memory you notice you've missed some key information in your analysis, this is the problem with exams that wouldn't give sufficient time to review the answers and benefiting from that! I know I already have 3 -4 mistakes in questions I thought I got right at the time of exam.

From a second time taker, I know how it is to dwell on those problems. But it's good to let it out on these forums ;) Just be sure to not let out any specifics due to the NCEES agreement. But here's what I say, I strongly believe that about 56 is the passing or cut score meaning you need to get at least 56 to pass give or take some problems being thrown out, etc. But if you can say confidently that you did not get more than 24 wrong including your guesses you should be fine. I'd say if you had time to double check your answers and resulted in an answer for A,B,C, or D, you should be fine or chances say you will be fine. The last exam I was unsure at about 22-24 questions and I got about 28 questions wrong. This time I believe I was unsure at about 8 questions (but those were educated guesses that resulted in answers for A,B,C, or D.) So give or take 5+/- questions that I though I may have gotten right, I still would have 13 wrong which still leaves room for about 11 more. Good luck to you all! Think of this way, this could possibly be one of the best Christmas we can have.....or not ;) Let's hope for the first.

I dont think I got 100% on the first half but it did seem easier than the middle, I got to q25 and thought that I was flying and had built up some time, wow, I was 7 min ahead. Then the problems got tough, with 15 min left I skipped the last 3 that were tied to a diagram and finish the last few in a couple of minutes and came back. I ended with 7 that I guessed on. I could have worked all of the problems but it is just impossible with the amount of time given.

This was my second time taking the Survey exam, and I passed the Seismic on the first time. The Survey exam I know if it was closed book with 1 hour extra time, most would get 90% of the problems right if you studied. The Seismic couldn't obviously be closed book, because you have to look up building codes. I agree the Surveying its so easy to make a mistake, so again, you need time to double check you answers. I'm really unsure if I passed, and its tough to wait 13+ weeks. I know if I don't pass this time, I will do as many problems as possible in prep.

There are people talking about the Board tossing out some of the questions in each test. If you did the question wrong, than it's in your advantage, but what if you did it right? What do you think?

There are people talking about the Board tossing out some of the questions in each test. If you did the question wrong, than it's in your advantage, but what if you did it right? What do you think?
I've heard that there are supposedly these "control questions" which they automatically toss out. Without going into specifics, (which we can't do per our NCEES agreement!), I think these questions don't have the right answers. There was one problem which did look complicated at first, but it really was not. Thing is, I couldn't get the right answer, and ended up spending way too much time on it. Good strategy would be to spot these problems and skip over them I think.

I'm not sure if these is actually done, or what the reason is. Its just something that I have heard. I don't think they should toss out any problems, because, like you said, if you get them right- its to your advantage.

Back