Exam Gotcha's

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

petermcc

I was working some of the SE1 sample questions last night and was feeling reasonably confident with my responses. When I checked my answers, I got a number wrong; although my awnser was one of the selection. :brick: :brick:

Obviously, I had made the notorius 'so called' common mistake and selected the 'distractor' answer. :angry: :angry: :angry: :eek:ld timer: I need to slow down and study the questions a little closer. Has anyone come up with a good method to identify key words or phrases that can hint at the possibility of heading down the wrong path. Exam taking methods/skills? :study :study :study

I seem to have lost the keys to the vault about 15 years ago.... "oldtimer"

Units...

units...

units...

I know there are some problems that there will be two answer choices that are the same but in different units. Check to make sure you're answer is in the units they are looking for.

To echo the previous advice.

UNITS

UNITS

UNITS

In our review class, we were told that if you don't make any unit mistakes you will pass.

I know I found three unit mistakes on my test when I rechecked my answers.

Also, you need to know when to round up and when to round down. This will be specified in the problem wording. for example if you need to size a pipe to carry a certain capacity, then you would probably round up. etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
In my studying Ive noticed that units are key.

I still screw them up but I know now that if I think Im heading down a wrong path to start looking at what my units are doing.

I concur. UNITS, UNITS, UNITS

"the other board" stuff did teach a lot in English, but did SI stuff as well. I didn't see ANY SI on mechanical and I don't think that they ever use it. So, a lot of problems in "the other board" had to do with knowing units CONVERSION. I didn't use much conversion, just had to pay attention to units as I worked through problems. /gallon /lb /etc.

The fact that they don't units in the answer choices makes it tougher. You need to look for the desired unit embedded in the problem.

I had one problem looking for a distance. The whole problem was in metric - meters, celsius, etc.

The question asked for a distance in miles.

Don't despair. Reading and reviewing only helps so much.

Working through problems is the key to success. Putting pencil to paper, scratching your head, and sometimes getting the wrong answer will make you the champ on test day.

Keeping slugging away.

For those who wear glasses when reading, full time or even have problems in low light conditions:

Be SURE to have an extra pair of glasses and even one that might be a little stronger than normal. Otherwise, even consider a table lamp- probably need baterry operated type.

Due to dim lighting conditions, about 1/2 way through the AM session, my eyes had strained to the point of only being able to barely make out the text on the test itself (and that was WITH wearing my regular reading glasses). I couldn't read the stuff in my MERM (which was 95% of my reference material) or anything else. I was freaking out. I didn't know what to do. All I could do was read questions, hope to remember the equations and try to eliminate answers as much as possible until I could regroup and formulate another plan.

After struggling like this for about 1/2 hour, I remembered that I had another pair of glasses in my bag. Maybe they were the stronger pair that I had from home. They weren't. I was screwed.

I figured wear one pair and hold the other pair close to the paper to use like a magnifying glass. It made the text a little larger, but was extremely cumbersome- turn pages, work problems, type on the calculator, hold the second pair of glasses.... I almost resolved to forfeit the test.

Then, not sure how or why, I thought I should put the second pair on over the first pair. Amazingly, it worked! I felt like a big ole freak on a leash, but it worked amazingly enough!

I lost quite a bit of time in the AM session, but made it through about 1 hour of am and the entire pm session with the doubled-up glasses. I would have no doubt failed had I not had the second pair. The low level lighting was what had strained my eyes and almost done me in.

Be a Boyscout and be prepared for unforseen circumstances!

Ed

Last edited:
Due to dim lighting conditions, about 1/2 way through the AM session, my eyes had strained to the point of only being able to barely make out the text on the test itself
Yeah, poor lighting was a problem for me too. Made me eyes work extra hard. By late in the afternoon, I felt like someone stapled my retinas to the back of my skull.

:bad:

This time around I will :

1. Bring a Lunch!

2. Bring some snacks / water bottle

3. Wont be as early (I was the 3rd person there, too long a wait)

4. I wont BS as much with fellow test takers during lunch

5. I will bring some ear plugs, I hope I dont need them this time...

6. I will take off at least 2 days before the exam from work.

a. One day to go through all review materials

b. One day to veg out and clear my mind before driving to the exam the night before

Latest posts

Back