Everything you wanted to know about the CA-Survey/Seismic Civil PE Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wish CA would take postcards for the refile like they did for the original application. I'm sure I can find some with two little words I'd like to send them. Grrrr!

Just dropped off check for CA exams refile. Not happy. And I'm still waiting for my tax return from them. Ok... rant over. For now :/ Off to enjoy summer. 4 months to go.
jiji, since all this is fresh for you, could you please review Post #1 of this thread and help me make any updates or other useful changes?  Thanks! 

jiji, since all this is fresh for you, could you please review Post #1 of this thread and help me make any updates or other useful changes?  Thanks! 
Seriously, for a second there, I thought the board found me and I was in trouble for suggesting I'd send them a postcard that says "Thank you". Ha!

Sure @ptatohed. I'll take a look and send you messages with comments, if any.

Did the CA exam fees to prometric change to $150?

I have a friend applying and we can't find the fee schedule that I had when I applied a year ago. On that one, it went from $61 each to $65 each. But now, all we can find is this page where Seismic and Survey is $150 but then there's a "California Specific" that also says $150. http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/application_fees.shtml

Prometric doesn't let you come up with a cost unless you're actually paying and NCEES sends you to this page which doesn't exist: http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/fee_schedule_new.shtml

The board's page where you'd think you'd find info send you in a loop (http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/exam_schedule.shtml)

You then end up at http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/application_fees.shtml which still doesn't seem to say what the CA Seismic and Survey will cost to prometric and what NCEES will cost. The links for those two sends you to their website but their fees send you back to BPELSG.

What are we doing wrong?

Did the CA exam fees to prometric change to $150?

I have a friend applying and we can't find the fee schedule that I had when I applied a year ago. On that one, it went from $61 each to $65 each. But now, all we can find is this page where Seismic and Survey is $150 but then there's a "California Specific" that also says $150. http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/application_fees.shtml

Prometric doesn't let you come up with a cost unless you're actually paying and NCEES sends you to this page which doesn't exist: http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/fee_schedule_new.shtml

The board's page where you'd think you'd find info send you in a loop (http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/exam_schedule.shtml)

You then end up at http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/application_fees.shtml which still doesn't seem to say what the CA Seismic and Survey will cost to prometric and what NCEES will cost. The links for those two sends you to their website but their fees send you back to BPELSG.

What are we doing wrong?

dim x as integer
do while x < 3
    x = 1
    x = x + 1
loop

dim x as integer
do while x < 3
    x = 1
    x = x + 1
loop
Pretty much. But I prefer for-loops :p

I can't remember how many times I looped around until I realized that I wasn't getting anywhere. They should give out points just for successfully submitting an application.

So...I am currently registered for the Seismic and Surveying exams (seismic Friday, surveying next week).  I barely studied for them, so I know I am going to fail them.  I spent 99% of my time studying for the 8 hour exam.  Nonetheless, I am going to take the exams for experience at least. 

My question is the best way to prepare for these exams when I retake them in April.  I will probably buy the Hiner videos for seismic.  For surveying, what would be the best course?

Also, let's say I have to retake the 8-hour also, and end up having to take all three again in April...What's the best way to organize my time studying?  How should I split time between studying for each exam?  Or maybe don't take them all in the same cycle?

So...I am currently registered for the Seismic and Surveying exams (seismic Friday, surveying next week).  I barely studied for them, so I know I am going to fail them.  I spent 99% of my time studying for the 8 hour exam.  Nonetheless, I am going to take the exams for experience at least. 

My question is the best way to prepare for these exams when I retake them in April.  I will probably buy the Hiner videos for seismic.  For surveying, what would be the best course?

Also, let's say I have to retake the 8-hour also, and end up having to take all three again in April...What's the best way to organize my time studying?  How should I split time between studying for each exam?  Or maybe don't take them all in the same cycle?
My recommendation will be to take EET's classes... I took their Seismic and can't say enough good things about the course and the instructor... Hiner just offers one CBT that you can take twice, while EET has three tests that can be taken multiple times... also they have two more paper tests. Hiner allows you a fixed number of hours to watch his videos while EET is unlimited... the tests and the limitations on hours was enough for me to make my choice. The practice tests helps you to learn time management... a very important aspect for these exams. 

Surveying... take EET.., they are starting in Spring 2017. Or buy Reza's workbook AND sign up for the cpesr. Reza's book will give you the practice problems while Cpesr's CBTs are a great way to prepare for the exam.

I took these courses and just finished taking my exams. I hope I will pass both... the courses and the CBTs helped me to prepare and my recommendations are based on my personal experience. 

Said thst, I hope you get lucky and pass all the exams.

Looks like an update to Post 1 is in order with new CA application + NCEES test taking + having to mail in notification to get a license number.

Looks like an update to Post 1 is in order with new CA application + NCEES test taking + having to mail in notification to get a license number.
Cool, thanks.  Can you please tell me which part should be updated and what it should be updated to say?  Thanks jiji.

Cool, thanks.  Can you please tell me which part should be updated and what it should be updated to say?  Thanks jiji.
Mostly the cost and application process. I was helping a friend navigate it but find it confusing so I'm not the best person to explain. This is what I gather:

- The initial application is still the same. $125 for application. $150 for seismic and $150 for survey. Once you get the go-ahead, you pay NCEES $350. But, they don't say what you pay Prometric anymore. I couldn't find that anywhere some days ago. Once you pass, you send a notification of successful examination to the Board.

- The refile (re-examination) form now only has the state exams on it at $150 each. It doesn't have the $125 fee anymore. Makes me wonder how they can get rid of it when they've been charging it all along. I don't know if the examinees will get a note to pay it up to get the license number or if it really goes away. If you passed the state exams and only have the 8-hr to take again, then you don't have to use the re-examination form. You just keep taking the 8-hr until you pass. And when you send the notification of being successful, you indicate that you passed 8-hr on that form.

Maybe it will be clearer once more people go through it or I'm just not bright enough to understand it. But the $125 went away and the Prometric fees are not listed.

What are the requirements to take these tests. Such as, in order to take the pe, you must have two years of work experience after BS degree and 1 year after MS degree. Is it the same for these tests? I cant find information on this anywere. Thank you.

What are the requirements to take these tests. Such as, in order to take the pe, you must have two years of work experience after BS degree and 1 year after MS degree. Is it the same for these tests? I cant find information on this anywere. Thank you.
Good question! Especially because the requirements to take the national PE exam in CA have changed recently.

To take the PE exam in California from December 2016 forward, you no longer CA Board approval; that is to say, you could go and register for the PE exam just as long as NCEES has records of you having taken and passed the FE exam. 

You do, however, still need to meet the exact experience requirements you listed in your post to take the seismic and surveying exams. This is because you still do need CA Board approval to be allowed to register for these exams.

I hope that answers your question!

Mostly the cost and application process. I was helping a friend navigate it but find it confusing so I'm not the best person to explain. This is what I gather:

- The initial application is still the same. $125 for application. $150 for seismic and $150 for survey. Once you get the go-ahead, you pay NCEES $350. But, they don't say what you pay Prometric anymore. I couldn't find that anywhere some days ago. Once you pass, you send a notification of successful examination to the Board.

- The refile (re-examination) form now only has the state exams on it at $150 each. It doesn't have the $125 fee anymore. Makes me wonder how they can get rid of it when they've been charging it all along. I don't know if the examinees will get a note to pay it up to get the license number or if it really goes away. If you passed the state exams and only have the 8-hr to take again, then you don't have to use the re-examination form. You just keep taking the 8-hr until you pass. And when you send the notification of being successful, you indicate that you passed 8-hr on that form.

Maybe it will be clearer once more people go through it or I'm just not bright enough to understand it. But the $125 went away and the Prometric fees are not listed.
$125 is the application fee just like it has been for 4-5 years now.  That is based on the actual cost it takes for staff to process initial applications and refile applications.  The Board is in the early stages of a planned evaluation of it's fees and felt that it was more important for the application fee to be more directly attributable to the initial application due to the recent changes to the application processes.

$150 is the state exam fee for all/any state exam just like it has been for 4-5 years now.  This is based on the actual cost to develop and provide the state exams to the candidates.  Now that the Board is further along in the process of transitioning all of the state exams to CBT and building item banks for each exam, this fee will also be re-evaluated in the study.

The Board stopped posting NCEES national exam fees simply because the fee is paid directly to NCEES and no longer goes through the Board.  Same with the Prometric fee which only pays for the seat time which the Board negotiates with Prometric for the best possible rate it can get.  The Board's web site only posts fees that are paid directly to the Board for expenses incurred directly by the Board.

The Re-examination form is only for those candidates that have previously approved applications with the Board and intend to sit AGAIN for the next state exam.  This form has nothing to do with the NCEES national exams.

There is a separate form used to notify the Board of successfully passing the NCEES national exam ONLY for those candidates that have previously approved applications with the Board.  It is likely that as time progresses, more and more individuals will pass the NCEES exam prior to submitting an application with the Board thereby lessening the number of notification forms actually being submitted.  It is simply a transitional form.

Please understand that the requirements are related to becoming licensed, not to simply take an exam.

Does this help: http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/faq_eng.pdf ?

If not, please let me know.  Please understand that some aspects of the linked document may not reflect the recent changes in national exam prior to applying but the overall requirements are still the same.

CAPLS, do you see any needed or useful changes that should be made to post number 1?  I'd like to keep it as current and useful as possible.  Thanks. 

Mr. CAPLS and ptatohed, any news about the CA specific exams to be year round? Many candidates have to wait 6 months to take the exams and it would be great to have these exams year round so that the candidates dont have to wait that long. Thanks.

Hello All,

quick question. From Amazon.com, I had bought a brand new book by Hiner: Seismic Review Design workbook 3rd edition, which is based on IBC 2012/CBC 2013. 

Hiner just released a new workbook which is based on IBC 2015/CBC 2016. Should I buy the new version too, or can I read only from the previous version? 

Thanks.

Hello All,

quick question. From Amazon.com, I had bought a brand new book by Hiner: Seismic Review Design workbook 3rd edition, which is based on IBC 2012/CBC 2013. 

Hiner just released a new workbook which is based on IBC 2015/CBC 2016. Should I buy the new version too, or can I read only from the previous version? 

Thanks.
The exams are very code specific. I am not sure that the codes changed that much, but I still believe you are better off studying from the books that are based on the latest codes that are specified in the testing plans.

Good luck.

Mr. CAPLS and ptatohed, any news about the CA specific exams to be year round? Many candidates have to wait 6 months to take the exams and it would be great to have these exams year round so that the candidates dont have to wait that long. Thanks.
For quite some time now, BPELSG has stated that the goal is to eventually move the two CA Civil Engineer exams to year round administration and currently the plans are to do this beginning January 2018.  A new occupational analysis is scheduled to begin this week which will result in the development and publishing of new test plan specifications for those two exams.  The results of that analysis will provide final confirmation for when these exams will change to this process.  Monitor the BPELSG web site and board meeting agendas later this summer.

CAPLS, do you see any needed or useful changes that should be made to post number 1?  I'd like to keep it as current and useful as possible.  Thanks. 
Hey ptatohed, It looks pretty up to date as far as BPELSG-related information goes.  I will say that the CA Civil Engineer results are generally available 30-45 days after the "last day of the 3-week administration" but held up to coincide with the NCEES PE-Civil results so the letter is more informative.  Expect that process will transition pretty quickly to only pertain to state results, maybe even with this next administration, since BPELSG is expecting potential licensing candidates to register with NCEES without BPELSG intervention.

(introduce yourself sometime when I'm in your area)

Back