Environmental section of ChERM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FusionWhite

Epee ~)----- Fencer
Reaction score
As Im working my way through the Chemical Engineering Review Manual, it struck me how HUGE the environmental section is. Its longer then just about any other section of the book.

However when I look at the breakdown of the actual test percentages, environmental only makes up 2% of the problems. This breaks down to 1.6 problems. This seems like a very poor study time to problem pay off ratio. When I flipped through the ChERM it looked like a lot of the Env. section was qualitative ie discussing various pollution control methods. Some of it was calculations of things like BOD in waste water etc.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I am obviously not just going to skip studying environmental because 1 or 2 problems could make all the difference, however Im not sure I should grind through page after page of crap that is most likely not going to be on the test. Advice?

I took the ChE PE test several years ago and from experience, I would say the 2% was about right and don't remember anything quantitative on the test for environmental. I would know main environmental concepts, but don't waste too much time.

There are a couple chapters in that book like that. One of the last chapters, which is also one of the biggest can almost be completely ignored. I don't remember a whole lot of environmental stuff on the test. Just have to sort of keep in mind a chemical engineer didn't write the book, so they try to cover everything without really knowing whats really relevant...at least thats the way I looked at it.

I might read through the environmental stuff, but wouldn't concentrate too hard. You can always look it up if it happens to be on the test.

Back