EB Survivor Challenge 2

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who wins the challenge?

• HBB

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Frozen Chosen

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ :banhim:

Fox, do you even know how a holodeck works? The technology you posted was a downgrade, and serves as only slightly better than a XBox Kinect.
I surely do. Check out the original Star Trek series once when they are using the holodeck. Looks like a game of Minecraft. LOL

Our proposal takes the latest Oculus Rift tech. and adds to it the quantum computing capabilities of a Sovereign class star ship. Forgoing the need to even have the O.R. head gear attached. WINNING x10
You criticize our team for using "outdated" (read: older) versions of the holodeck during discussions, then turn around and claim it as the basis of your design? WTF?
Now you've lost me. The environment is holodeck-like. It's not an actual holodeck because the whole point of this was to replace the holodeck. We will be adapting the Oculus Rift technology to virtual experience. Which will exceed the capabilities of the antiquated holodeck. Once again, argument invalid.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if I said there was a battery and/or wireless option for only $19.95 more?

So now I have to buy the milk after I buy the cow? I'd only reconsider with a BOGO at best.
Let me consult with the sales manager and see what kind of package deal we can come up with....

Please hold

<cheesy elevator music>

<cheesy elevator music cuts out creating that split second you think I'm back>

Hello? Ok, well he says that because you already purchased it that we really can't do anything for a package discount, but he did say that we could waive the shipping & handling fee and provide a coupon for 25% off your next order.

Hello?

Sir?

<disconnect sound>

Dex: I'm disputing this through PayPal.

Wait... when did I buy this thing?

WTF is a holodeck? :dunno:
I think it is kind of like in Demolition Man when Sandra and Sylvester are found to have virtual mind "relations" ... but because of HBB's upgrades it can now be more like "relations" in Weird Science... you know you can actually hold things in our version.... kids these days are calling it the yolodeck because it let's you experience it all in your only life time.... it is actually pretty cool...
So yeah vote for HBB...

HBB - A couple questions, comments:

1. How will the implementation of your proposed upgraded interaction chamber impact the power supply to the rest of the ship as this seems like it will require significantly more power than the existing holodeck. Are there plans to upgrade the power supply generators to account for the increased consumption?

2. It is my understanding that the "tangible" aspect of your recreation center would require a mass storage center and infusion chamber to create the transient textures during interactions. I do not see any indication that you have determined a suitable location on the ship for the mass storage and infusion chamber.

Frozen Chosen - Well, I'm assuming that the "recreation" part was covered by the treadmill and that you threw in a quick google image of the USS Enterprise because you needed something. You tied it all together using a well known EB meme of the airplane on the conveyor belt. Okay, so, let's roll with it since that's your submission.

1. What machinations of space-time distortion are required in order to infinitely loop the USS Enterprise inside of itself in order to be powered by crew members on a treadmill while still existing as an actual starship holding hundreds of crew members? Do you have calculations for this?

2. Do you, as the proposer, feel that this submission was responsive to the called for scope? I'd love to hear your rationale for an answer in the affirmative.

I'm glad you asked Sapper. I'd be happy to answer your questions. See below.

HBB - A couple questions, comments:
1. How will the implementation of your proposed upgraded interaction chamber impact the power supply to the rest of the ship as this seems like it will require significantly more power than the existing holodeck. Are there plans to upgrade the power supply generators to account for the increased consumption?

The power requirements for the new rec center are indeed greater than that of the existing holodeck. However, the consumption is insignificant compared to the generation capability of the ship itself. Keep in mind that the Sovereign class NCC-1701 is equipped with a 1400+ cochrane matter/anti-matter warp core and impulse deflection crystal. Which is sufficient to meet the new power needs. Also note that Enterprise is equipped with emergency fusion reactors in the event supplemental power is required. Average consumption data will be closely monitored and reported such that the nominal demand is not exceeded.

2. It is my understanding that the "tangible" aspect of your recreation center would require a mass storage center and infusion chamber to create the transient textures during interactions. I do not see any indication that you have determined a suitable location on the ship for the mass storage and infusion chamber.

Another valid point but I can surely put your concerns at rest. Enterprise is equipped with a computer core that contains 1.00786 x 107 kiloquads of memory and capable of processing 2,765,950 kiloquads/sec. The new proposed Oculus Rift based system requires only a fraction of that compute power and storage. It should be further noted that the new system should have no lagging or latency issues due to the state-of-the-art ODN Mark 11Q data network on Enterprise.

Knightfox, I applaud you. I thought I was a star trek geek, but I bow to your epic geekyness. May I call you captain? Live long and prosper.

^ LOL

7171305.jpg

Alright, topic closed. HBB wins again.

For the record, I liked the idea of the conveyor belt meme for recreation that Frozen Chosen proposed. It was funny and in line with what I'd expect out of this group, but it's just a tad unfortunate that not all of the Frozen Chosen's members voted for their own plan, because if they had and once you include my vote, they would have won... oh well, Frozen Chosen must vote off another player, each member must PM me their vote by midnight tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back