EB Survivor Challenge 3

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HBB's answers and my comments and scoring:

#1 ANSWER:

That would depend on if the centaur ate a high fiber diet, as well as his willingness to utilize his arm or a jackaloupe to clean the poop and blood off the horn. Since the opposing team failed to supply an answer for this, who cares what you wrote, I can only guess it is correct.... that being said, yours was extremely weak, so 1/2 off for that. 10/20

#2 ANSWER:

Who said we ever believed it existed? All we were tasked to do is make everyone vote for us, which we did… remember… we won the challenge? Same as number 1, 10/20

#3 ANSWER:

Why did the wizard stop to avoid the obstacle? The wizard is flying on a broom which would have a significant amount of maneuverability and very few limitations. If the wizard’s perception-reaction time is 2 seconds, unless the obstacle was another wizard that apparited in front of the first wizard, the broom stick flyer would just swoop and avoid the obstacle. With that said based on the SSD table in the Roadway Design Manual the calculated distance is 246.2 feet and the design distance is 250… since the perception-reaction time given in the problem is 2 seconds, not 2.5 seconds which is what is utilized for the table this; the problem is not clear as to if the perception-reaction time should be included; and everyone knows this should be a DSD problem, and not have anything to do with stopping at all, we pick the answer closest to braking distance which is A. Umm, doesn't matter that it SHOULD have been a DSD question, it was a SSD, and the answer is most nearly 221', so 0/20

#4 ANSWER:

Grade "(also called slope, incline, gradient, pitch or rise) of a physical feature, landform or constructed line refers to the inclination of that surface to the horizontal."

Downward grade should not be factored since we are calculating a flying object and the air has no surface per say… At 45mph the SSD (design) is answer C 360ft … who cares how far the dwarf is from the original destination? Gotta agree with you here. I'm giving you full points despite the solution key... 20/20

#5 ANSWER:
Mana is usually gathered in one of a few different ways:

Gathering power from the land itself. Most Mages in magic picture a certain spot from their memory, like mountains or an island or beach (...etc) and accumulate the magic in their mind. From there they can shape it into spells. This is shown through the tapping of lands for mana. The same is true for witches and wizards. The question is contradictory in that mana generation does not require a predefined amount of individuals possessing magic capabilities. Furthermore, an ambient temperature was not provided as an initial condition therefore a temperature rise over nominal cannot be accurately determined. Since the option "none of the above" is not present, the answer is most nearly 1. Full points, amswer is compatible with the solution key. 20/20

TOTAL = 60 / 100

Frozen Chosen's Answers and my comments:

1. Not enough information. Light output of lumos charm is unavailable. On that notion, we select C

No, the solution set has a very clear answer to it.. 0/20

2. The MERM (magical emission reference manual) has a note pertaining to this particular situation. It references the published report "Invalidation of Reports Citing 'Elfin Potato Gas' as a Toxic By-Product" which can be found electronically in Cleric Knovel. This publication was created through the research of high ranking clerics, magical beings, and other creatures found in Narnia, Middle Earth, and on Magic The Gathering cards. It rebukes the GGGCB study as being one-sided due, mainly, to the report being funded solely by the "Elves are putrid scum" group (primarily dwarves). And the author of the study only cites two sources for his claims - a Magic 8 ball and a Cracker Jack box. Neither Mattell nor Frito-Lay would comment when questioned on the matter. Knowing this, the panel of peers sees no reason to deviate from the efficient and environmentally friendly 'Elfin Potato Gas' as an energy source. After a unanimous decision, the panel was sunset and went to lunch at Cracker Barrel. Love it... don't care what the solution set says, you get full points on this one. 20/20

3. Protesting this question as it has no magic-related basis

fair enough, but since it wasn't really a humorous response, 1/2 credit, 10/20

4. Assuming the starting point is Earth, 4.61 days

Bonus points: 7,405.1 years

Goddamn, yeah, that's close enough for me 20/20. Bonus... well, since your answer differs by about 2000 years from the solution I'll give you 5 points.

5. 304.47 Fine with me, no answer was provided in the solution set and I have no flipping clue. So 20/20

TOTAL = 75

YOU WIN.

Last edited by a moderator:
seriously, we lost by 5 points?

At least someone understood sky glow...

HOWEVER... question specificlly referenced human references, so I see how the favors sway... you didn't identify your scopes, and you may not know what any of our environmental crap means... but don't bitch 20 years from now when I'm telling you what you need to do

Last edited by a moderator:
See you guys tomorrow night at tribal Council where you will vote off one of your own.

.... you may not know what any of our environmental crap means... but don't bitch 20 years from now when I'm telling you what you need to do
Solution: continue to cut down every tree in sight and fill every wetland around. Wait, wetlands are as real unicorns, right?

.... you may not know what any of our environmental crap means... but don't bitch 20 years from now when I'm telling you what you need to do
Solution: continue to cut down every tree in sight and fill every wetland around. Wait, wetlands are as real unicorns, right?
dude... the question about light pollution you all totall effed up.... wetlands be damned, unicorns wouldn't stand a chance with ya'll you have no clue how to protect the environment with math

dude... the question about light pollution you all totall effed up....  wetlands be damned, unicorns wouldn't stand a chance with ya'll you have no clue how to protect the environment with math
:poking: mission accomplished

dude... the question about light pollution you all totall effed up.... wetlands be damned, unicorns wouldn't stand a chance with ya'll you have no clue how to protect the environment with math
:poking: mission accomplished
mission accomplished? so I still make pennies, you still pollute the environment and unicorns die... yeah, we are all happy aren't we?

In the context of this debate : yes. We won, you lost and I can proceed to push buttons that protecting the environment is all about magic and hocus pocus.

There are a couple of people in my office who handle the project lighting requirements (including light pollution). Unfortunately I'm not in a position to ask them to analyze a wizard convention... I found some equations to start working on it but there weren't any units with them. Then I looked at the base problem and saw we were dealing with a percentage, but could not determine what that percentage applied to. Do we assume each wand was 1 foot candle or were they 60 watt bulbs? Without knowing how bright the source was, we couldn't determine the distance away since sky glare has an inverse relationship to distance from the source. So you can see that being 10 percent away from a candle is significantly different than being 10 percent away from a metal halide...

Hence our argument that there wasn't enough information.

And that didn't even take into consideration which of the 4 lumos charms were used...

Or the fact that the power of each lumos charm is dependent on the skill/ability of the wizard. Are we talking Dumbledor, or Ron Weesley?

I say they should disqualify EG for telling Jeff Probst, ER Sapper to shut up last night, and still have vote off a tribe member.

Back