EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we can't get 15 people for a proper tourney style round, then I'd recommend playing with regular EB rules the next game.

We can postpone the tournament style rules until a later date too. I really appreciate the effort and the help! I requested June qualifiers so we have time to try to run it. Plus, if I'm being honest with myself, I'm not going to have enough time to dedicate to gaming* the game the next week; I might not have time to even check EB for more than a few disparate minutes between meetings. So it may not be a productive time to run something solely for my benefit.

*studying and applying game theory. 

If we can't get 15 people for a proper tourney style round, then I'd recommend playing with regular EB rules the next game.

We can postpone the tournament style rules until a later date too. I really appreciate the effort and the help! I requested June qualifiers so we have time to try to run it. Plus, if I'm being honest with myself, I'm not going to have enough time to dedicate to gaming* the game the next week; I might not have time to even check EB for more than a few disparate minutes between meetings. So it may not be a productive time to run something solely for my benefit.

*studying and applying game theory. 
Tbh, I'm running this so I understand the rules better, but this also allows the opportunity to try some of the new rules!  Even if we don't get to 15, I was planning on running it starting next Monday.  If you're not able to play, let me know, and maybe I can cc' you on all the mod PMs so you can see what is going on?

Tbh, I'm running this so I understand the rules better, but this also allows the opportunity to try some of the new rules!  Even if we don't get to 15, I was planning on running it starting next Monday.  If you're not able to play, let me know, and maybe I can cc' you on all the mod PMs so you can see what is going on?
sounds good, for the time being, pencil me in as a NPC.

So one of the interesting rules from the tournament is No side conversations or PMs except for the mafia group message. That's VERY different from the way we normally play. All coordination must happen in the open. No trusted townie PM. I trust that we don't play with any cheaters :)

So one of the interesting rules from the tournament is No side conversations or PMs except for the mafia group message. That's VERY different from the way we normally play. All coordination must happen in the open. No trusted townie PM. I trust that we don't play with any cheaters :)
Yeah I saw that.  That gives mafia such an upper hand, unless the additional special role players help balance it out.

I wonder if the votes are public?  Like will we know who voted for whom, or just who got voted out? 

Yeah I saw that.  That gives mafia such an upper hand, unless the additional special role players help balance it out.

I wonder if the votes are public?  Like will we know who voted for whom, or just who got voted out? 
Good question.

I also saw that town lynchings don't start until day 2. Do nightkills not happen until night 2? 

Last edited by a moderator:
This definitely makes it hard to collab, but it makes sense. Most in-person mafia games are played this way anyway.

I guess you could play it with the votes being private, but in my opinion this takes away from the fun of the game. Retaliation is a fundamental part of gameplay.

OTOH, there are a lot of mafia games played where the mod will tell the group "these are the two/three/n players that everyone suspects the most. On three, point at whom you would like to lynch." So maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
At some point I need to scan through previous years tournaments and spot trends and get a hand on the culture. The lack of private conversations would really hamper my current playstyle. It's almost a reversion to how we played the first few rounds on this board.

Back