EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did you have to tear off the sidessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
"Perfer".  They had a contest and that's the word they came up with to describe the perforated sides of the paper that was torn off.  It was added to the dictionary as one of Webster's "new words" back in the day lol.

Nerd alert!  Guilty as charged!

*gasp!* How dare you besmirch Excel!?
To be clear. Excel is super capable, and I consider myself pretty good at it. But Microsoft is just not good at designing software anymore. Their all of their software has gotten bloated, has tons of inconsistent user interfaces, and just doesn't perform well.

Any time I'm doing something intense in Excel it bogs down and often crashes on me. And when it runs, it runs so slow. Seriously, graphing 50,000 data points is really not that difficult of a task for computers today. I have have a heavy duty simulation computer. I can do so much more, so much faster in a Python notebook. (very different, I know.)

That being said Microsoft office is ubiquitous and everyone knows Excel to some degree, so it's still the best software for general calculations.

To be clear. Excel is super capable, and I consider myself pretty good at it. But Microsoft is just not good at designing software anymore. Their all of their software has gotten bloated, has tons of inconsistent user interfaces, and just doesn't perform well.

Any time I'm doing something intense in Excel it bogs down and often crashes on me. And when it runs, it runs so slow. Seriously, graphing 50,000 data points is really not that difficult of a task for computers today. I have have a heavy duty simulation computer. I can do so much more, so much faster in a Python notebook. (very different, I know.)

That being said Microsoft office is ubiquitous and everyone knows Excel to some degree, so it's still the best software for general calculations.
To be fair, they were never really good at designing software. Further, they have exactly zero idea how the features they include in their software gets used. They change something, and users scream and shout that their key feature got dropped or changed and MSFT's only response is "well that's not how that feature was intended to be used".

Back